• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Snowy Mountains

Frank Nicholson (4)
Well this is fascinating. I said a month or so back that this will be a very tightly contested competition. I don’t think there is a front runner. It sounds like any team that has an off day could be knocked off. Were Scots foxing? Would they do that?
No foxing. Beaten by a better team on the day. Newington 10 was very, very good. TSC 10 had a really bad day. The 10 in the 2's looked good, has a big boot on him. Another trial this weekend for all teams. TSC apparently resting key players.

InsiderScoop

Sydney Middleton (9)
No foxing. Beaten by a better team on the day. Newington 10 was very, very good. TSC 10 had a really bad day. The 10 in the 2's looked good, has a big boot on him. Another trial this weekend for all teams. TSC apparently resting key players.
Was Rodwell 10. Who has access to team lists from either schools, would be good to see who actually played what.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
No 3XV for Newington in that comp ?
Hello Here for the Advice.
It has historically been the case for many years that Newington do not compete in the 3rd XV competition, largely due to the inclusion of TAS and agreement with those schools. Often when a school plays Newington in the competition, the 3rd XV plays TAS and the school B teams typically play the TAS A teams. But not always. The draw has been complicated by two rounds in the 1st XV and 2nd XV versus just one round in the 3rd XV competition. To have 9 teams in the 3rd XV comp would create complications with the draw, byes, length of season etc. I think its a shame that Newington do not play in the 3rd XV comp but that's been the situation for some time.
Regards INP.

Aagpsglory

Allen Oxlade (6)
Knock Knock,

@The Fun Buss you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Riverview are clearly at the bottom of the pack coming off loses from joeys and oak hill. There clearly not contenders in this years gps comp. good pick with newington being the dark horses that I previously discussed. Scots with rumours of big names out such as Brial, large and Jaques I see shore being favourites along with top contenders joeys. I do think it would be a mistake to put Scots out of contention with such a deep team but they have suffered a series blow with injuries. Additionally, I think Riverview and kings will be in contention for 5th both teams showing lack of depth especially kings who are pulling heavily from younger years.

- The One Who Knocks
Would like to remind you that View only lost to joeys by around 5 points. I would not be so quick to count out the View boys as they continue to get better each week. Although I do agree, that Scots will struggle with big names out and that is why I dont have them winning. Cheers

AG

Scrum Sandwich

Bob McCowan (2)
It's no doubt that there are varying opinions on who will be the top dog this year, and rightly so. It seems that each school has had their moments, some more than others, but all are in with a serious chance barring injuries. I've got Shore, View and Joeys as my top 3 for this year.

Footy head

Chris McKivat (8)
It's no doubt that there are varying opinions on who will be the top dog this year, and rightly so. It seems that each school has had their moments, some more than others, but all are in with a serious chance barring injuries. I've got Shore, View and Joeys as my top 3 for this year.
What is impressing everyone about View? From everything I have seen they are my favourites to come last or second last.

-Footyhead

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
It will piss Knox off …they’ve been trying to join for decades
I think it is their centenary this year. I am an old Knox Prep lad who had the snot beaten out him for being a Catholic. I switched to Joeys for high school. My first game at SJC was v Knox. Oh Lord….the payback was wonderful. We had a scrapy Lebanese boy as our hooker. When the scrum blew up he was taking on the entire front row. Glorious chaos. BTW. I still have Knox friends from those days.

UpnUnder

Chris McKivat (8)
I think it is their centenary this year. I am an old Knox Prep lad who had the snot beaten out him for being a Catholic. I switched to Joeys for high school. My first game at SJC was v Knox. Oh Lord….the payback was wonderful. We had a scrapy Lebanese boy as our hooker. When the scrum blew up he was taking on the entire front row. Glorious chaos. BTW. I still have Knox friends from those days.
Knox friends? My grandfather used to say, show me your friends and I’ll tell you what sort of a person you are. I digress.

TheMaulester

Herbert Moran (7)
It will piss Knox off …they’ve been trying to join for decades
Is this actually the case? I doubt it considering they've been in the CAS since it first began in 1929. One of the very few non-AAGPS schools that could likely pull their weight in the GPS comp across multiple sports.

This is a link to the thread in regards to this topic from 2010

Rob hart

Ted Thorn (20)
I don't think Scots should be written off after a bad day out against New, you may remember in 2015 Scots lost to New at Scots in Round 1 and went on to win the Chocolates. I do believe that Scots has a serious cultural problem developed under the now sidelined Director of Rugby, who has been rewarded as the Director of Sport, notwithstanding 5-6 seasons of strong teams with no impression under his ''control''.
The problem Scots seems to have post Marcus Blackburn in 2014 is that they can never seem to muscle up to a champion team, when they are a team of champions, look at the GF in 2019 at Joeys as a point in case.

the_merchant

Bob McCowan (2)
Newington played incredibly well, took advantage of errors & penalties and cornered Scots in at times, leading to quick tries in succession. Scots looked very shocked and were playing very unconnected. They looked as if they weren't putting full effort in, which is something that I hope doesn't spill into the GPS season.

With Leo Jaques being rested (returning soon), new positions being tried out and the return of other players, I'm sure Scots are not to be written off yet. (let's hope so)

Also, I do think Newington are not as good as they have been made out to be, Scots just played terribly and I'm sure if they played like that against any other team it would be considerably higher.

Count me in for the tipping comp @Joker if that's how you do it around here.
Brother just accept Scot’s got pumped no need to discredit the opposition, newington played their whole bench

Scots has the best team on paper, yes if they peformed to the capabillity they would win. But it's a culture thing they think they are ahead of everyone and always have untill they realise that they need to have grit to win footy games their sucess will be lame.
Smoker

UpnUnder

Chris McKivat (8)
I don't think Scots should be written off after a bad day out against New, you may remember in 2015 Scots lost to New at Scots in Round 1 and went on to win the Chocolates. I do believe that Scots has a serious cultural problem developed under the now sidelined Director of Rugby, who has been rewarded as the Director of Sport, notwithstanding 5-6 seasons of strong teams with no impression under his ''control''.
The problem Scots seems to have post Marcus Blackburn in 2014 is that they can never seem to muscle up to a champion team, when they are a team of champions, look at the GF in 2019 at Joeys as a point in case.
I appreciate your passion and honesty. 2019 at HH was one of my absolute all time favourite games (C and B tinged glasses), nah nah nah na nah nah na, hey Jude. It was right up there with 94, any game in 90 or 91 and most certainly the Centenary year.

the one who knocks

Bob McCowan (2)
Would like to remind you that View only lost to joeys by around 5 points. I would not be so quick to count out the View boys as they continue to get better each week. Although I do agree, that Scots will struggle with big names out and that is why I dont have them winning. Cheers

AG
Knock Knock,

Cheers AG for voicing your opinion. Was a fair take ill give you that, although View did perform decently well against Joeys despite joeys not giving it a full game performance and I think that we should see them really lift as we head out of trials into the real competition. No teams are final, was a close game and was still a trial game but I don't see View doing very well this season with not a particular strong team. Additionally I don't think it was a true reflection of Joeys full potential just as Scots against the dark horses of Newington, should make for an interesting season.

-The One Who Knocks

rugbybeeeee

Frank Row (1)
Knock Knock,

Cheers AG for voicing your opinion. Was a fair take ill give you that, although View did perform decently well against Joeys despite joeys not giving it a full game performance and I think that we should see them really lift as we head out of trials into the real competition. No teams are final, was a close game and was still a trial game but I don't see View doing very well this season with not a particular strong team. Additionally I don't think it was a true reflection of Joeys full potential just as Scots against the dark horses of Newington, should make for an interesting season.

-The One Who Knocks
Hey there @the one who knocks

I appreciate your insights, especially about the upcoming season. It's always interesting to see how teams evolve as the competition progresses. Speaking of which, I have a proposition for you. While you may not see Kings as a dark horse yet, I believe they're in a development stage that could surprise many. Kings' have potential and they are definitely a fare shot against the other teams. Would love to hear your opinion on this?

Just remember... "The Dragon does breathe fire"

Watch your doorstep, you might hear a couple knocks.

From yours truly

- The BEE