• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
so you weren't there? doesn't seem fair that you can claim the ref was bias simply based on a statistic.. i'd also like to point out the penalty count against oakhill was similar in oakhills favour, that game was at hunters hill as well, so i dont know about your theory there.

The statistic was a 20-5 penalty count...as I said terribly lopsided from a statistical perspective. To be fair to the ref, it being a trial, I don't know whether he was independently appointed or a Joeys appointment. But whilst we're talking about one game in thousands I can assure you its no theory........countless teams have come away from Joeys from the U13Gs to Opens level over the last 25+ years shaking their heads at the bias displayed in the refereeing by Joey's staff, current students and old boys. I understand that Rugby is everything at Joeys but to be honest its been a blight on their otherwise fine rugby tradition.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Any word on when and where this weekend's battle of the Catholics will be played? I'm assuming it's at View for this game and then at Joeys Round 1?

Will the annoyance of the 12:15 fixture be a feature again this weekend? Can any current View boys enlighten us?

Both the trial and comp game will be played at 3:15.

I

International Badboy

or you after your son lost to joeys im guessing? please can we move on?

Can someone tell me how Moeroa and Milne played especially in defence?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Much as I hate to defend the Jo Boys - they have (or at least the last time I had sustained involvement with them shortly after they had left school) a fantastic knowledge of how to play the game: it would surprise me if they didn't win the penalty count in every game of every year.
I noticed there was a mentality in Scots last year which was bordering on arrogance - they took a lot of cheap shots in the game against Grammar and by god they didn't need to! Wouldn't surprise me if that is present agains this year - or was until yesterday!

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
The thin skinidness of Joey's disciples never ceases to amaze nor disappoint.

Scots will be well served this year if they get their forwards working together better as the Joeys pack did, and they improve their scrum and the handling of the backs: some of the passing in the 1st half stopped their progress up the field. They will also have to improve their discipline: they were penalised repeatedly defending their line and trying to stop Joeys pick and go anywhere on the field. They were lucky to keep all their players on the park. Very lucky. Lee Grant Post # 765

In all fairness I think Lee covered this aspect of the game and some of the the reasons for the lopsided penalty count in his match review at #765 as reflected in the comment above and sounds like he was there. This seemed like an even handed report to me.

PS - congrats to the moderators for getting rid of all that rubbish last night! :)

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
Well i'm guessing he's not a regular up your way?
You would be in a good position to compare a few of the GPS sides, how do they line up in your opinion?

Things can change quickly with an injury or 2 to key players and it's early days yet but I'm leaning towards Riverview with their forwards getting a dominant percentage of ball in each game to win the title.
Newington for 2nd place ahead of Joeys who are brave but small, Scot's in 4th ahead of Kings (but 3rd to 5th could go in any order) with Shore capable of causing at least 1 upset in the season at 6th position.

Can I also ask why having Yr 11 players in a team is seen as an excuse by some for losing. If there were better players in Yr 12 wouldn't they be selected?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Not having been there I can't possibly comment on whether the penalties were warranted or not...but a 20-5 penalty count is terribly lopsided in any game....and having watched too many GPS games at Joeys over the years it seems that Joeys do very well at Hunters Hill when it comes to lopsided penalty counts.

That's all in the eye of the beholder I suppose. I remember when Joeys were in their pomp, especially when Kurtley was there, that the Joeys faithful used to howl that the ref was penalising their team too much to square things up for the other team.

I thought that was a nonsense as are claims the other way. I remember some things that went their way, especially one against Riverview, but I can remember just as many against Joeys. No Joeys opponent will agree, but that is to be expected.

I don't know that the penalty count mentioned was correct or not, but even if it was, there was a logical reason for it. Scots strong point was making long runs and there weren't many Joeys lads there to infringe at the end of things. On the other hand Joeys did pick and goes all afternoon like it was a long training drill (maybe it was) and the Scots lads struggled a bit stopping them legally and near the line they didn't seem to try too hard. I recall that Scots were pinged a few times in the scrum too.

That is a generalisation, but it gives the vibe of the game. People might rebut that by saying fair enough, but so many more penalties against Scots?

Joeys supporters would counter by asking - even if it was wrong the referee thought it was right, so how come no Scots player was binned? Even if it should have been only 3 times as many - or twice as many - why did they keep 15 players on the park? And would we not have scored more tries if the count was even, which would have meant they didn't kill our ball so much in promising situations?

And there would be counter-counters and so on and questions about whether we were watching the same game - the next comment sillier than the one before it. Nobody would prove anything, except to themselves.

[Incidentally, I am not such a supporter. I gave up whingeing about referees a long while ago, but I do analyse their decisions in pro rugby sometimes. I think all referees do the best they can. Like players, some are better than others, and some are worse than others.]

Bill McLean (32)
or you after your son lost to joeys im guessing? please can we move on?

Can someone tell me how Moeroa and Milne played especially in defence?

IB,

They had great defensive games, especially Moeroa! On the other side of the coin so did Davies and Foketi for Kings.

Nevertheless the 'Dual Codies' (lmao) had it just over their Kings counterparts because both scored great tries! However I would qualify that by saying that the Kings centres did not have as many opportunities,

Regards,

Bill McLean (32)
Me thinks Lee Grant did some sweeping in here last night ... lol! I would suggest the derogatory comments get left at the door, especially comments that seek to agitate such aforementioned conduct (guilty as charged here)!

Newbs.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
Things can change quickly with an injury or 2 to key players and it's early days yet but I'm leaning towards Riverview with their forwards getting a dominant percentage of ball in each game to win the title.
Newington for 2nd place ahead of Joeys who are brave but small, Scot's in 4th ahead of Kings (but 3rd to 5th could go in any order) with Shore capable of causing at least 1 upset in the season at 6th position.

Can I also ask why having Yr 11 players in a team is seen as an excuse by some for losing. If there were better players in Yr 12 wouldn't they be selected?

Stonecutter, having observed 6 teams (3 games) over the past 3 weeks or so I think you might be bang on in your above assessment. Early days indeed and injuries can have a dramatic and very quick influence on results. As an independent observer the main 5 all have some fabulous players but I think you may have them in the right order.

Slightly off subject but in the SMH on Saturday there was an article re Newington being current GPS champions in Athletics, Tennis, Swimming and Water polo. I thought they were meant to be peaking next year for their 150th year or something (?) not this year?

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Did anyone head out to the View match?

With three of their four key forward from last years premiership winning team (Rorke, Dempsey, Whitley) their pack was always going to be good. However, I know nothing of their backs... Can anyone shed some light on the quality of the View backline?

M

magpie52

Did anyone head out to the View match?

With three of their four key forward from last years premiership winning team (Rorke, Dempsey, Whitley) their pack was always going to be good. However, I know nothing of their backs... Can anyone shed some light on the quality of the View backline?
The Riverview backline were first rate (but the St Pats backline decimated by injury were definitely 2nd rate), so it is hard to really judge. A standout for Riverview was their 12 Sam Gerrey-Burgess. A huge kid, who ran hard and caused St Pats trouble all day. He was just too big & strong. The Riverview 13 Redden was also impressive.

We'll know more about Riverview after Saturday, but it was certainly an impressive first hit-out.

Just a further comment, the 3 returning forwards were again outstanding. Dempsey is even tougher to stop this year (scored the first 2 tries). Whitley looks bigger and was quite dominant.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
The Riverview backline were first rate (but the St Pats backline decimated by injury were definitely 2nd rate), so it is hard to really judge. A standout for Riverview was their 12 Sam Gerrey-Burgess. A huge kid, who ran hard and caused St Pats trouble all day. He was just too big & strong. The Riverview 13 Redden was also impressive.

We'll know more about Riverview after Saturday, but it was certainly an impressive first hit-out.

Just a further comment, the 3 returning forwards were again outstanding. Dempsey is even tougher to stop this year (scored the first 2 tries). Whitley looks bigger and was quite dominant.

On a side note, how tall is Rorke? He plays a very aggressive game, which I like. Does he have the height to make it as a lock at the professional level?

C

comrades

Saw this game, both view's 12 and 13 played very well and sliced up the Pats backs. Dempsey looks even better offensively this year, he also grabbed a few turnovers and had a great work rate around the park. Rorke was consistent and punishing in defence, and put big hits on ball carriers. but next week will tell alot more of View

F

fernando

1. tom robertson (J)
2. harry randell (K)
3. enlighten me (?)
4. harry rorke (I)
5. josh schwager (J)
6. jack dempsey (I)
7. oscar pryor lees (N)
8. mitch whitely (I)
9. joey lussick (N)
10. David Horwitz (S)
11. Josh wilde (J)
12. Jim Stewart (S)
13. sam barclay (J)
14. Oscar Pople (N)
15. andrew kellaway(S)
what about pat curtain from joeys at number 9 and tom murphy joeys captain

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
How did Angus Crichton play for Scots?
I remember him a bit because someone told me he was in year 10 and was one of Scots' good players. I watched him for a little while and he went OK for one so young but he did nothing that made me jot down a note about him.

I'll watch him again next time. To make the Ones of a GPS school in Yr.10 is a good achievement, but to make it as a 2nd rower is something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.