• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2020

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
To start off the thread, I will make the bold prediction that in 2020, the Plume Shield will be shared between Barker Knox and Waverly.

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Well done Rod for getting us up and running for 2020. My earliest thought for next year is that there will be a real gulf between the top 3 teams and the bottom 3. Cranbrook may surprise occasionally, but Knox, Waverley and Barker imho will be way ahead after having seen whats coming through. Anyway, well done to all for the updates this year and bring on 2020.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Well done Rod for getting us up and running for 2020. My earliest thought for next year is that there will be a real gulf between the top 3 teams and the bottom 3. Cranbrook may surprise occasionally, but Knox, Waverley and Barker imho will be way ahead after having seen whats coming through. Anyway, well done to all for the updates this year and bring on 2020.

What are the chances of the Knox 1st XV having a junior Axe in the team this season?

Sir Scrums-Alot

Frank Row (1)
Predicted Waverley First XV team 2020

1. Davvy Moale
2. Darcy Sullivan/Jim Waterhouse
3. Ben Dunning
4. Fritz Tanke/Axel Runow
5. Miles Amatesero
6. Asolelei Fretton
7. Ethan King/Will Baker
8. Charlie Barber/Ethan King
9. Klayton Thorn
10. Emmanuel Di Bartolo
11. Jordan Swann
12. Ronald Volkman
13. Caspar Cairns
14. Aaron Dimovitch/Zach Smith
15. Mitch Eyles/Dane Towns

With a lot of depth coming through and a number of experienced First XV players returning, 2020 looks to be a promising year for Waverley, although the same can be said for Knox and Barker, with Trinity being a surprise packet for next year too.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Tipping Waverley to go back to back in 2020 and 2021

subject to no Sanix tours

1. Davvy Moale/Reeve Smith
2. Darcy Sullivan
3. Ben Dunning
4. Fritz jahnke-Tavana
5. Miles Amatesero / Matthew Chapman
6. Asolelei Fretton/ Clem Halaholo
7. Ethan King/Will Baker
9. Klayton Thorn
10. Emmanuel Di Bartolo
11. Jordan Swann
12. Ronald Volkman
13.Aaron Dimoovitch / C. Smirnotis
14. Zach Smith/D.Towns
15. Mitch Eyles

Jonathan lumerick

Frank Row (1)
predicted ladder is as follows

1. Barker
2. Waverly
3. Trinity
4. Knox
5. Aloys
6. Cranbrook

predicted Waverly team
1. Davvy Moale
2. Darcy Sulivan
3. Aisea Aholelei
4. Fritz Jahnke- Tavana
5. Miles Amatesero
6. Clem halaholo
7. Ethan King
8. Will baker
9. Klayton Thorn
10. Emmanual Di bartolo
11. Jordon Swann
12. Ron Volkman
13. Caspar Cairns
14. Zach Smith
15. Mitch Eyles

Big_Senditure

Stan Wickham (3)
My predicted Knox team:
1. H. Daunt (2XV)
2. R. Bray (U16A)
3. J. Black (U16A)
4. L. Reeve (U16A)
5. L. Chamen (2XV)
6. O. Moore (2XV)
7. C. Herdman (U16A)
8. H. Kettles (2XV)
9. T. Goddard (U16A)
10. J. Dunn (2XV/3XV)
11. O. Evans (1XV)
12. J. McLeod (U15A)
13. M. Stewart (1XV)
14. S. Nicholl (1XV)
15. C. Barr (2XV)
Notes:
With only three 1XV players returning next year being Evans, Nicholl and Stewart I believe Knox will be in a bit more of a transitional year, however if they get going could surprise many. There will be decent size in the forward pack next year, but I don't think they will gain the same reputation as the 2019 forward pack. J. Black will be the leader in the front row, having made NSW honours in the U16 with L. Chamen leading the rest of the pack, providing he comes back from his injury alright. T. Goddard will be a safe option at 9 having made NSW in pervious year but injury stopping him short last year. J Dunn played in a dominant 3XV team, playing 2XV in their only loss and should transition well into the 1XV. J.McLeod made U15 NSW Gen Blue and U16 NSWRL Koori team and could have a 3 year stint in the 1XV, and would do well to partner him with the experience M.Stewart. Although Evans can't make representative team, he will prove to be and electrifying player for the 1XV along with S. Nicholl (CAS shadow) and with C. Barr the Knox outside backs could prove to be deadly. Early days but this squad could prove to surprise many.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
No-one has WLF junior in the Waverley 1sts? Controversial.

Anyway, Waverley are the clear summer holiday favourites - lots of players coming back and some strong 16s coming through. Plus, ahem, a Year 11 League player or two, perhaps, if recent years are any guide.

But Barker look quite good again, Knox a little off the pace, and Cranbrook less strong than this year.

I'm quietly hopeful that Trinity can threaten the top three. Hawkes, Buchanan, Eid, Meagher and Hannaford should all be back, which is a decent start. As always, it's about keeping the best XV on the field, but if they manage that, there's an upset in that lot somewhere.

Big_Senditure

Stan Wickham (3)
Tipping Waverley to go back to back in 2020 and 2021

subject to no Sanix tours

1. Davvy Moale/Reeve Smith
2. Darcy Sullivan
3. Ben Dunning
4. Fritz jahnke-Tavana
5. Miles Amatesero / Matthew Chapman
6. Asolelei Fretton/ Clem Halaholo
7. Ethan King/Will Baker
9. Klayton Thorn
10. Emmanuel Di Bartolo
11. Jordan Swann
12. Ronald Volkman
13.Aaron Dimoovitch / C. Smirnotis
14. Zach Smith/D.Towns
15. Mitch Eyles

Surely M. Amatesero has to be a nailed on spot after making CAS 1XV and NSW 2XV last year.

Trevor Ross

Frank Row (1)
Evening fellow school boy rugby enthusiasts,

My post 2019 season team predictions:
Knox 1XV
1. H. Daunt
2. R. Bray
3. N. Lake
4. C. Slacksmith/ L. Barr
5. L. Chamen
6. O. Moore/ W. Bondy
7. T. Reid
8. H. Kettles
9. A. Delaine
10. J. Craig
11. O. Evans
12. J. Constable/ O.Harding
13. M. Stewart/ L. Mcready
14. S. Nicholl
15. C. Barr

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
No-one has WLF junior in the Waverley 1sts? Controversial.

Anyway, Waverley are the clear summer holiday favourites - lots of players coming back and some strong 16s coming through. Plus, ahem, a Year 11 League player or two, perhaps, if recent years are any guide.

But Barker look quite good again, Knox a little off the pace, and Cranbrook less strong than this year.

I'm quietly hopeful that Trinity can threaten the top three. Hawkes, Buchanan, Eid, Meagher and Hannaford should all be back, which is a decent start. As always, it's about keeping the best XV on the field, but if they manage that, there's an upset in that lot somewhere.

Snort, I think most of the team suggestions are fairly close to the money, there is a lot of depth next year at Waves, and sounds like some other schools as well. As you know, the pre-season can reveal some new things as boys develop, time will tell, it's still very early.
What I can point out is the Waves 2nds and 3rds should be red hot!

Jonathan lumerick

Frank Row (1)
Barker predicted side to go back to back to back

1. Dion Yazdani
2. Tyrone Albertyn
3. Lachlan Hetherington
4. Mark Green
5. Dan Stovold
6. Grant Tucker/Ben Randall
7. Mitch Wheals
8. Ned Slack-Smith
9. Justus Stals
10. Kyle Bowen
11. Joe Kennedy
12. Ben Graham
13. Liam Jones
14. Aiden galloway
15. Jack Colbran

Barker forwards should be able to lay the same platform the the successful 2019 team did with a few returning players to lead the way, the depth that barker have in the forwards combined with talent should be able to hold them in good sted. The backs although having some stars lack depth and may find themselves running low on quality players given a few injuries. From memory when this year 12 age group was in year 10 they did win although they had a completely different backline, with Stals (9) being injured, Ovendon and Vass playing in this age group, Bowen (10) and jones (13) not yet being at the school and Wheals (7) and Stovold (5) playing in the centres.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF are you aware that Cranbrook has been offering positions at their school for your strong 16a’s cohort of players? May not be as much talent at Waverly next year as you think with quite s few being offered positions across at Cranbrook.

If they pick up the 3/4 they are targeting, they will be a force next year.

Yes more than aware FRugger,
However we only know of 1, and that is not a done deal yet.
When we played Brook a few weeks ago, 1 Brook mother was more than happy to let me know that a Waves boy was definitely being approached, pretty much rubbing my nose in it.
So my reply was well let's wait and see, and if it does happen, then rather than bringing boys in from no-related schools, eg league, of which 1 is already at Brook in the 16as, Brook now have to poach boys from competing schools, which means if this happens, then a Waves side beats a Waves side!
How stupid does that look!
Whilst we have, in the last few years, recruited some outside boys, they were not from a competing school.
I am not a fan of recruitment, historically it is not in the DNA of Waverley, however in some cases I do think it's fine, like a boy from far away moving to the big smoke and needs to find a school, but not when someone leaves 1 good school and pops up in another.
Rest assured if this does happen, the bear will be poked!

Also think you will find that this Waves 16as team is very tight, and so are the parents, so can't see any mass exodus, quite the opposite, they will all band together as they can see big things approaching in 2020 and 2021.

Bolivia

Herbert Moran (7)
Just to clarify, my understanding is the Waverley boys parents approached Cranbrook - Unhappy with the Academic side of things?? (There may be other reasons?)
In the process of trying to get in to Cranbrook, they have asked (why wouldn't they) for any type of bursary etc.

Cranbrook only has 2 all round scholarships available for a Year 9 or 10 boy (I think). The Martin Pitt & The Matt Street scholarships. There maybe 1 other indigenous scholarship, but not sure.

Cranbrook would only accept someone if either of those scholarships are up for renewal. Happens every 2-3 years.

As for "offering positions to quite a few" - Rubbish! Don't think your source is correct.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Just to clarify, my understanding is the Waverley boys parents approached Cranbrook - Unhappy with the Academic side of things?? (There may be other reasons?)
In the process of trying to get in to Cranbrook, they have asked (why wouldn't they) for any type of bursary etc.

Cranbrook only has 2 all round scholarships available for a Year 9 or 10 boy (I think). The Martin Pitt & The Matt Street scholarships. There maybe 1 other indigenous scholarship, but not sure.

Cranbrook would only accept someone if either of those scholarships are up for renewal. Happens every 2-3 years.

As for "offering positions to quite a few" - Rubbish! Don't think your source is correct.

Yep, I don't think my "source"is correct either, I only know of 1 boy (the same as you) not 3-4 as suggested, as I pointed out.
Just wanted to put this to bed, don't believe it either.

P.S. Don't know who the "source" is, but do know who the mum is, and so do you! HA!

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Interesting you didn’t comment on the new Barker boys that appear each year in your comment? Especially as a lot of them also have a league background?

For example this year in the firsts: Bowen, Jones, Cameron, slack-smith, Brown, Pollard, Wilson, Yazdani, Galloway, plus more we prob don’t even realise?

Slack Smith - 4th of 4 boys who have all been at the school since year 7 (no league), other 3 have finished year 12.
Galloway - started in junior school (no league)
Yazdani - started in Year 9

Check your facts first.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Standard banter WTF - same ole same ole every year - for 3 years now somebody has said (Kyle) Galloway has been an import when in fact he started in year 3 and same with his brother. It seems to be a standard cut and paste. Occasionally a kid or two will come late from another school and then to some it seems the whole team is an import.

Yawn...

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Standard banter WTF - same ole same ole every year - for 3 years now somebody has said (Kyle) Galloway has been an import when in fact he started in year 3 and same with his brother. It seems to be a standard cut and paste. Occasionally a kid or two will come late from another school and then to some it seems the whole team is an import.

Yawn.

Yep, its like kids aren't ever allowed to move schools... I get that some are given an opportunity to go to a school like Barker when they wouldn't otherwise be able to go there. So its a win/win for both - I just cannot see an issue, they are given a better/different opportunity to excel on and off the sports field.

I remember the hooha when Harry Jones left Kings to go to Barker in Year 12. All sorts of conspiracy theorists were working overtime.

S

sidelineview

I agree; I'm happy for the boys who get an opportunity to go to a good school like Barker or Waverley. Their parents would be happy as well. It depends where they come from.

As long as it doesn't go too far and get out of hand I think it's all good.

The other thing is it can encourage boys to choose to play rugby post school.