• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
what's the tip for isda winners this year?

are grammar any good other than james strattoN?

Any results from the finals - I here aloys are gone but no big surprise there team is weak this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
what's the tip for isda winners this year?

are grammar any good other than james strattoN?

I think Grammar will take out Senior A, but it will be competitive, so who knows. Grammar are strong - obviously having Stratton in the team makes them particularly strong - but Paccino is also very good, and they're coached by the world's best speaker, so they work well as a team.

Any results from the finals - I here aloys are gone but no big surprise there team is weak this year

Riverview and Monte Senior A are also out, losing to Barker and Joeys respectively, while Grammar defeated Knox, but I don't think Knox are out as they were undefeated.

Paul Williams

Bob McCowan (2)
I was watching the footy with an old friend the other night and his lad has just been picked in the Shore 1sts.

Apparently they are one of the contenders for the GPS title this year.

Looks like the dynamic is changing in Sydney's most prestigious competition.

Glad that you're keeping us posted aka_the_think. It's good to have someone so informed in our midst.

Wallaby97

Stan Wickham (3)
Apparently Semi-Finals are:

Grammar vs. St Josephs
Aloysius vs. Knox

aka_the_think your thoughts on this?

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)

Grammar vs. St Josephs
Aloysius vs. Knox

Aloysius should beat Knox and grammar over joeys

Aloys to win in an upset in the grandfinal could be on the cards

Paul Williams

Bob McCowan (2)
In discussion with one of the debating masters at grammar, I've heard that young James Stratton has come down with the flu. Looks like he'll be out for the week.

Joeys in an upset next Friday in what will be one of the greatest isda showdowns since the 2006 gf

Paul

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
In discussion with one of the debating masters at grammar, I've heard that young James Stratton has come down with the flu. Looks like he'll be out for the week.

Joeys in an upset next Friday in what will be one of the greatest isda showdowns since the 2006 gf

Paul

I can tell u that the standard this year is way below the historical average

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Grammar vs. St Josephs
Aloysius vs. Knox

I am somewhat surprised that a few of these teams made it, especially Joeys, but I think it's a good top 4, and they all deserve to be there. I am attempting to find out who one as I write this.

Paul

No flu, he's in Melbourne for the National Debating Carnival between all the states. NSW are through to the grand finals tomorrow against Victoria - fingers crossed that the good guys get up.
I think this gives Joeys a huge leg up that every other team in the competition would be very envious of.

Out of interest, what happened in the 2006 gf?

Aloysius should beat Knox and grammar over joeys

Aloys to win in an upset in the grandfinal could be on the cards

I don't want to speculate on results, but I'd find it hard to tip against Grammar in a final.

I can tell u that the standard this year is way below the historical average

That's quite an interesting argument. From my experience the class of 2014, across NSW, is very strong. Having 8/13 in the NSW top 13 both this year AND last year, when they were in year 11. Generally speaking the split if 6/6 between year 11 and 12, so to dominant it on either side is quite significant. However, I do think that within the ISDA competition the standard isn't overwhelmingly high. For some reason the state talent is distributed equally between ISDA, FED, Archdale, and CHS at this stage, though come GPS 2 of the 4 will be in the same comp.

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
I am somewhat surprised that a few of these teams made it, especially Joeys, but I think it's a good top 4, and they all deserve to be there. I am attempting to find out who one as I write this.

No flu, he's in Melbourne for the National Debating Carnival between all the states. NSW are through to the grand finals tomorrow against Victoria - fingers crossed that the good guys get up.
I think this gives Joeys a huge leg up that every other team in the competition would be very envious of.

Out of interest, what happened in the 2006 gf?

I don't want to speculate on results, but I'd find it hard to tip against Grammar in a final.

That's quite an interesting argument. From my experience the class of 2014, across NSW, is very strong. Having 8/13 in the NSW top 13 both this year AND last year, when they were in year 11. Generally speaking the split if 6/6 between year 11 and 12, so to dominant it on either side is quite significant. However, I do think that within the ISDA competition the standard isn't overwhelmingly high. For some reason the state talent is distributed equally between ISDA, FED, Archdale, and CHS at this stage, though come GPS 2 of the 4 will be in the same comp.

It's not an argument - I used to be a state selector so more of a fact based on my experience. I adjudicate Isda , CAS and archdale

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It's not an argument - I used to be a state selector so more of a fact based on my experience. I adjudicate Isda , CAS and archdale /quote]

Fair enough fair enough, I don't want to argue with you based on those credentials!

I still stand by my line of thinking though, I do genuinely think the class of 2014 is strong. I'm class of 2015, so I am not as inclined to bias as one might think.

Knox beat Aloys btw.

Wallaby97

Stan Wickham (3)
Huge news from the other Semi-Final.

Was speaking to the Grammar debating coordinator at the rugby this morning, they had to forfeit after one of their other speakers fell ill- and obviously Stratton is in Melbourne, so they had only two speakers.

Who would have expected this?

Joeys-Knox Grand Final

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Huge news from the other Semi-Final.

Was speaking to the Grammar debating coordinator at the rugby this morning, they had to forfeit after one of their other speakers fell ill- and obviously Stratton is in Melbourne, so they had only two speakers.

Who would have expected this?

Joeys-Knox Grand Final

If this is true then that's incredible.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Just an update - rumours that Grammar forfeited are untrue. The debates' been postponed till a later date. I expect a Knox-Grammar final, a rematch of last year.

In other news, NSW won the National Championship for the 2nd year in a row, with James Stratton of Grammar and Sophie Large of SCEGGS Darlinghurst named in the national side.

Wallaby97

Stan Wickham (3)
Just an update - rumours that Grammar forfeited are untrue. The debates' been postponed till a later date. I expect a Knox-Grammar final, a rematch of last year.

Are you sure? That's very strange, I was speaking to a Grammar master involved in their debating program and she was certain that their side had forfeited the previous evening's debate.

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
Are you sure? That's very strange, I was speaking to a Grammar master involved in their debating program and she was certain that their side had forfeited the previous evening's debate.

It's not forfeited

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
From what I have seen the teams are weak this year - strongest year I can remember in recent history was 2011

I wouldn't know - all I know is that this year's year 12 (the class of 2014) are strong across the state, but within ISDA the teams are pretty weak.

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
I wouldn't know - all I know is that this year's year 12 (the class of 2014) are strong across the state, but within ISDA the teams are pretty weak.

The Isda is a great indicator of state strength - the only other speakers for state squads normally only come from High, smiths hills at best. As it is weak this year - the state is generally lagging

Don't forget as well the other states don't over too much competition in debatin apart from vic

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The Isda is a great indicator of state strength - the only other speakers for state squads normally only come from High, smiths hills at best. As it is weak this year - the state is generally lagging

Don't forget as well the other states don't over too much competition in debatin apart from vic

I disagree. There is only one speaker in this year's state team in the ISDA, the other 3 are from non-ISDA private schools, and CHS schools respectively. There are a large number of the state squad that didn't come from ISDA schools - in fact I would probably argue that CHS had the most.

I agree that normally ISDA is the indicator of strength, but this year it isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.