• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1 Rugby Fan

Bob McCowan (2)
I didn't catch exact wording but it was essentially: that Facebook should modify newsfeeds to prevent a Trump presidency
Riverview - aff, Grammar - neg

Leg Drive

Bob McCowan (2)
Any early predictions on the GPS competition considering the several strong results seen in ISDA this year??

rowerforlife

Peter Burge (5)
Grammar should be very strong, coming off the ISDA win. High will go pretty well, looking to defend the championship of last year. They have one Australian Representative- Thomas Shortridge. Riverview could go well after a good run in the ISDA. Kings, Scots, Shore, Newington are always in the mix. And then Joeys, any win will be gold for them. I heard that their Second grade team narrowly beat the High Yr 9A team in one of the FED debates, due to High seniors on exams. Hopefully a good season ahead for them.
Overall, it will be High and Grammar dominating, with the premiership bound to culminate in the High v Grammar debate on the 2nd of September at High.

Johnnysmith

Frank Row (1)
Using prior results, it seems as if Grammar, Riverview and High are the main threats, although to me Kings are also dark horses, possibly adding onto the form that carried them through to the semi-finals. Anyone else with ideas about a Top 3 or even a purely speculative GPS 1/2/3rds?

Clunge_Cruncher

Frank Row (1)
Another year of peculiar rule changes for the GPS comp - prep time is back up to the full luxury of an hour (from a paltry 45 minutes), but speaking time is now limited in seniors from 5-7 minutes. The fixtures appear to be the same as last year, but that could mean they haven't updated them properly.

In terms of the actual debates, High and Grammar look set to battle it out for the #1 and #2 spots, seeing as their entire teams (and no one else from the GPS) made the state squad, so the rest will just have to be content battling it out for third.

These two aside, the rest of the GPS seemed to do well in the ISDA competition, with Grammar winning, Riverview second, Kings in a semi, and Scots knocked out in the quarters but winning all group stage debates, with High and Newington off in their own comps. All in all, it looks like we are lined up for a violent and educational season of GPS debating this year.

C

Crime and Punishment

The finalists of the CSDA comp have been confirmed for this friday at Oakhill. After two very engaging debates decided by the closest of margins, Waverley College and St. Pius will face off in one of the most competitive CSDA competitions in living memory. While Archdale and ISDA may retain the prestige, it is arguable that CSDA is closing the gap on these competitions in terms of quality.

While Waverley may have made their first ever foray deep into the CSDA, it has likely cost them a shot at the CAS title, forced to turn out an understrength team against Barker last Friday and, as a result of making the GF, will do the same next week.

This years CAS looms as tightly fought, with Barker and Knox once more emerging as favourites. The upper north shore derby is looking like a cracker this year, those local derbies are always intensely fought. Meanwhile, I see it hard to split the remaining teams, with Aloys, Trinity, Cranbrook and Waverley sure to have some nailbiting debates.

rowerforlife

Peter Burge (5)
After Round 1 of the GPS Season, Grammar, Shore and Scots with the wins in 1st Grade. What happened between High and Joeys? I would assume that High won. Ignatius lost to Scots, surprise there. Thought SIC would win that after a strong performance in the ISDA.

In the lower years, High, Grammar, Scots are performing the best. Riverview and Kings aren't doing too bad.

This Friday it is Shore vs Grammar, Scots vs Joeys, New vs High, Kings vs Riverview. I tip Grammar, Scots, High and Riverview to win.
I think the season will come to Grammar vs Scots in Round 4, Scots vs High in Round 6, and High vs Grammar in Round 7.

I would tip High to win the Second Grade, after their Yr 10 team went undefeated last year. Third grade will probably be won by Grammar.

ignited

Frank Row (1)
Australia was knocked out at semis in Stuttgart...but Eden Blair was best speaker on speaker points.

Her team will be debating in CHS state finals on the 5th August, Usyd.

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
Great Round 4 debate on Friday night between Riverview and Joeys at HH. Topic was "That we should never show footage of people being killed". Riverview, who were the Affirmative, got up in a split decision in front of a crowd of over 80!! Largest crowd I've seen at a Fri night debate ever. All of Joeys First XV turned up. Clearly very little between these two sides.

HoldingOn

Alfred Walker (16)
Great Round 4 debate on Friday night between Riverview and Joeys at HH. Topic was "That we should never show footage of people being killed". Riverview, who were the Affirmative, got up in a split decision in front of a crowd of over 80!! Largest crowd I've seen at a Fri night debate ever. All of Joeys First XV turned up. Clearly very little between these two sides.
It was good.

Seldrax

Bob McCowan (2)
So apparently High 2nds lost to Riverview last Friday.
Topic was 'That a party should not form alliances with minor parties/independents if they don't have enough seats to form government in their own right.' High was AFF

rowerforlife

Peter Burge (5)
An awfully quiet thread this season.

On debating matters, Grammar seem to be the strongest heading into the last two debates of the season. I predict wins for their 1sts to 3rd, against Riverview.
High will need to win their debates against Scots in the 1st to 3rds to stay in the running for at least a co-premiership. Scots are going quite well this season, while Iggies not so much.

An exciting and very close competition with so much to debate for in these last two weeks. Grammar, High and Scots dominating in all years.

HoldingOn

Alfred Walker (16)
An awfully quiet thread this season.

On debating matters, Grammar seem to be the strongest heading into the last two debates of the season. I predict wins for their 1sts to 3rd, against Riverview.
High will need to win their debates against Scots in the 1st to 3rds to stay in the running for at least a co-premiership. Scots are going quite well this season, while Iggies not so much.

An exciting and very close competition with so much to debate for in these last two weeks. Grammar, High and Scots dominating in all years.
Scots are winning due to their third speaker. Shore first speaker has been strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.