• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2021

the arc of history

Frank Row (1)

Also, apparently Lawrence Campbell already happened. I somehow did not realise that it did until a little while ago. Does anyone know the results for the competition (ie. first, second, third). And on top of that what was the topic this year?

I believe it was 1. St Joseph's 2. Sydney Grammar 3. Sydney Boys High School. Bernard Lund represented Joeys, Aidan Woo represented SGS and Jivan Naganathan represented SBHS, all Year 12. The 3 topics, off the top of my head: 1. My word is in my sword. 2. Both sides now. 3. After such knowledge, what forgiveness?

(Also, Bo was on the adj panel, so that was cool)

Wow i think tonight will be very interesting in deciding who goes to the final. Grammar is looking strong, perhaps too strong. The sheer weight of their intellect could weigh them down toward the end. While Kambala went out early i'm sure other teams could upset the favourites, although i'm not sure it will be this week.

Indecisive

Frank Row (1)
Well, we are well and truly in the home stretch of ISDA for this season, with the quarter finals taking place last night. It was certainly a worthy finals topic, TWS abolish political parties, and all politicians should run as independants. Friday's result as informed from the ISDA spreadsheet are below

Aloys def. PLC Pymble
Cranbrook def. Riverview
Grammar def. SCEGGS
Barker def. MLC

That means this Friday with have the following Semi-Finals

Aloys vs Cranbrook
Grammar vs Barker

Interesting to note that 3/4 Schools were from Pool A in Grammar, Aloys and Barker, showing how competitve that was in the early stages. Also, 3 CAS schools in the Semi's, which should set up an exciting CAS season where we have several potential winners. Both Grammar and Cranbrook are undefeated so far throughout the tournament, although given what I said above, it still suggests Grammar is the stronger side. I'm not a beting man so I won't be making any predictions, because at this stage of the comp anything can happen. All that matters is who speaks best on the night.

thatWasToSay

Stan Wickham (3)
ISDA Semi Finals happened last Friday night:

Grammar def. Barker
St Aloysius def. Cranbrook

Giving us Grammar v St Aloysius in the final. Grammar already beat Aloys in the pool stage, and seem to have been the predicted winners on this forum from the very beginning, so probably going in as favourites.

Does anyone know the topic or sides from the semis?

Looking ahead to the term 3 competitions, as Indecisive said, CAS looks very strong with Barker, Aloys and Cranbrook all in the semi finals. Cranbrook were absolutely dominant in the group stage, Aloysius are finalists and potentially winners, and Barker showed their quality by beating what seems to be a very strong Kambala side in the Octos. I've heard Cranbrook are very strong, and have a good shot at winning what I believe would be their first premiership in a while (I don't know my CAS premiership history that well, so I may be wrong).

In GPS, Grammar seems to be the clear favourite based on their dominance in ISDA and the various other discussion on this thread. Other than them, GPS seems to be strong across the board this year. The other ISDA-GPS teams all have more wins than losses in the ISDA Pool stage, including 6 wins for Scots, and 5 wins for Newington, Riverview and Shore. I have no idea how High did in Eastside, but they're usually strong as well. That should hopefully make for a good GPS with every debate being high quality, although Grammar does seem the clear favourite coming in. Also will be interesting to see if we're going to get the return of panels as was predicted earlier on this forum.

DebatingNerd

Allen Oxlade (6)
Alrighty, that means we're down to two grand finalists, Grammar and Aloysius. Should be an entertaining Grand Final then!
I agree with the Grammar prediction. I mean their win record and their representation in the State Team and State Squad in itself is representative of the talent present in the team.

Can't wait for GPS in Term 3, should be entertaining. But that being said, I reckon Grammar is a favourite in that competition as well but as thatWasToSay kindly pointed out, the competition in GPS should be very solid this year. All the GPS schools have performed quite well in Semester 1 Debating Competitions with High being the exception.

About High's performance in Eastside, while I am not in the loop for that competition, I have still heard about the results as the Grand Final happened two weeks ago. Apparently SCEGGS won against Grammar in the Year 12 Division and Sydney Girls beat Sydney Boys in the Year 11 Division. Apparently, High's team didn't even make semi finals, which is weird. So either they got really unlucky, or their team isn't as strong as it has been in previous years. So I reckon they shouldn't be a strong contender for the GPS Premiership. But then again, they have 2 state squad members, Tim Hanna and Auguste McNally, so I definitely wouldn't underestimate them, once again, with variable adjudicating quality, they might have gotten very unlucky. So while I wouldn't pin them as favourites for the GPS Premiership, they definitely still remain a traditionally strong competitor meaning we have a wonderfully competitive GPS bracket this year.

Anyways I'll sign off and will probably post an update tomorrow night, but I might be busy as I have more examinations in the coming weeks.

DebatingNerd

admin

Chris McKivat (8)
Staff member
Admin note - one of the posters in the debating threads was falsely using the name of a recent schoolboy debater. We've removed their posts and replaced any quotes with [snip].

thatWasToSay

Stan Wickham (3)
GPS Debating kicks off tonight.

Any thoughts / predictions?

Newington v SBHS
Kings v Grammar
Scots v Riverview
Joeys v Shore

DebatingNerd

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sorry for the Late Reply thatWasToSay. But given Grammar's absolute dominance over the debating scene this year, they are very well posed to take the Shield home.

I would like to quickly note that this year I do not have the same access to the results I had last year. But from what I heard, the first week of Zoom Debating was a bit of a shitshow. It's not like this was unprecedented but hopefully online debating from home runs a lot more smoothly later on in the season.

By the way I'm sure the forum would really appreciate it if someone could collate the GPS results every night. If someone is able to provide these results I could tabulate those results.

And the final thing to say here is RIP JamesStrattontheKing and his contributions to this forum. Maybe the admins will put up his posts again? After all, they were legitimately constructive commentary on the Debating season.

DebatingNerd

Allen Oxlade (6)
1sts - Newington def SBHS
Shore def Joeys
I don't have any other info on the results of the Scots v Riverview and Kings v Grammar debates

Neither do I. These results are quite interesting. Well to be more explicit, Shore defeating Joey's was pretty expected but not the Newington win over SBHS. Not quite sure about what's happening at SBHS this year, their performances in Eastside were pretty lacklustre compared to the performances they usually have, seems that this particular trend is continuing in GPS for SBHS. But this is quite peculiar given that they have 2 state squad members (Auguste McNally and Tim Hanna) on their team and a member who made callbacks (Thomas Zheng). Eh, maybe they got unlucky, but that possibility seems more unlikely the more this trend occurs.

DebatingNerd signing off.

errybody_talks

Stan Wickham (3)
Neither do I. These results are quite interesting. Well to be more explicit, Shore defeating Joey's was pretty expected but not the Newington win over SBHS. Not quite sure about what's happening at SBHS this year, their performances in Eastside were pretty lacklustre compared to the performances they usually have, seems that this particular trend is continuing in GPS for SBHS. But this is quite peculiar given that they have 2 state squad members (Auguste McNally and Tim Hanna) on their team and a member who made callbacks (Thomas Zheng). Eh, maybe they got unlucky, but that possibility seems more unlikely the more this trend occurs.

DebatingNerd signing off.

Maybe their coach is shit

Cerise and Blue

Frank Row (1)
Results from GPS Round 2:

1sts:
Scots def Joeys
Newington def Kings
SBHS def Shore
Grammar def Riverview

2nds:
Joeys def Scots
Kings def Newington
SBHS def Shore
Grammar v Riverview (No Result)

DebatingNerd

Allen Oxlade (6)
Congratulations Grammar 1s for taking out the GPS Premiership!

Also a big thank you to all the teams who were involved amidst the situation GPS took place in. I have heard that there was fantastic competition this year, and once the Reps debates finish, the Debating season should be over.

I am not in the loop for Reps so if someone could provide updates on that, that would be fantastic!

I hope all Year 12 this year have had a brilliant year despite the circumstances debating occurred in, and I hope all of you have enjoyed high school debating immensely over the years you were involved in it.

A big thank you to all the coaches, coordinators and debaters involved in 2021 debating, and I hope to see you in the 2022 season!

Given that I do not have the permissions required to start a new thread, it would be great if someone started a thread called "NSW Schools Debating 2022" at the start of next year to provide a sense of continuity to this forum.

Also, does anyone have results for other teams that are coming to the fore in the future such as Seconds or 10A's?

DebatingNerd signing off, perhaps for the last time for 2021 :)