• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2022

thatWasToSay

Stan Wickham (3)
ISDA Groups are now out

Group A

Pymble
Abbotsleigh
Roseville
Knox
Riverview
Wenona
Ravenswood
Tangara

Group B

Kambala
St Aloysius
Ascham
Monte
Cranbrook
Scots
St Catherine's
St Joseph's

Group C

SCEGGS
Barker
Newington
PLC
Loretto Kirribilli
Kincoppal
Trinity
St Andrews

Group D

Grammar
MLC
Shore
Kings
Queenwood
Redlands
St Lukes
Brigidine

First round is in a few weeks. Grammar once again should be strong after taking out undefeated ISDA and GPS titles last year, with speakers returning I believe. Abbotsleigh won both Senior B and Year 10 last year, so should also be a threat.

Any predictions? any speculation on which teams could be strong this year?

The ISDA season has begun characteristically on zoom and with interesting adjs. One Senior A debate had an adjudicator compliment that speeches exceed 1-2 minutes followed by the rhetoric of last team to speak to me won. Its a shame this is all ISDA can front up for the most difficult debates and degrades the integrity of the competition. It cannot be that hard to find experienced university-level debaters to log onto a computer for an hour.

thatWasToSay

Stan Wickham (3)
The ISDA season has begun characteristically on zoom and with interesting adjs. One Senior A debate had an adjudicator compliment that speeches exceed 1-2 minutes followed by the rhetoric of last team to speak to me won. Its a shame this is all ISDA can front up for the most difficult debates and degrades the integrity of the competition. It cannot be that hard to find experienced university-level debaters to log onto a computer for an hour.
I've heard similar things re adjs. It seems it's a real struggle to get adjs this year, and there seems to have been some strange allocations of stronger adjs to weaker year groups as well.

There's no results up on the website yet. We can't tell a lot from one round anyway, but hopefully we'll see a results sheet as the competition goes on.

DebatingNerd

Allen Oxlade (6)
I've heard similar things re adjs. It seems it's a real struggle to get adjs this year, and there seems to have been some strange allocations of stronger adjs to weaker year groups as well.

There's no results up on the website yet. We can't tell a lot from one round anyway, but hopefully we'll see a results sheet as the competition goes on.
That's not good at all - even if there is a shortage of adj's they should prioritise putting the stronger adj's in Senior A debates. Assuming that's the situation in ISDA, I can only imagine how much worse it is in another competitions like Eastside and FED that are happening at the moment.

Does anyone have predictions for this year?

My predictions are:

Grammar: Should be winning ISDA and GPS this year - half of their incredibly strong First Grade from last year remains. Presuming the people who made state squad from there last year make it in again, their roster should be strong with Jack Glass, Jack Story and Toby Mok (3 state squad members). They have a traditionally strong team and I expect to see them winning quite a bit this season. Especially given their stunning record last year, pretty sure they topped the GPS table (as predicted).

Sydney Girls: Bit of a wild card, they had no state representatives/squad members last year which was unusual given that they usually boast one state member each year. However, their Year 11 team won in Eastside last year and won Karl Cramp (The PDC Year 11 trophy) - so they might be a particularly strong bunch coming in this year. I expect them to win Eastside and Hume Barbour this year.
But, Sydney Boys could be particularly strong contenders this year for both those titles considering they have a state squad member that's been in the squad since Year 10 (Tim Hanna) who could possibly be a State Team member/reserve this year and they have Archie Wolifson who represented in GPS 2nds last year. But they are coming off a disappointing streak in recent years - we'll see if SBHS can start winning more premierships this year.

I don't know much about FED or predictions for Archdale as I am not in the loop for those competitions.

Looking forward to a brilliant season - and hopefully NSW can get back to smashing Nationals this year!

DebatingNerd signing off

THc

Frank Row (1)
Tim Hanna
Hi! Not sure where that list of state squad callbacks came from, but Catie Bako should definitely be on it:

Callback List:
Alexia Rigoni
Anhaar Kareem
Anna Kremer
Archie Wolifson
Catie Bako
Charlie Henry
Charlotte Allan
Christian Mossati
Daniel Lloyd-Hurwitz
Darshanik Aryal
Eamonn O'Loughlin
Emma Greenup
Ethan Tan
Iris Lee
Jack Glass
Jack Story
James Woo
Jason Lin
Josh O'Dea
Kasra Roushan
Neva Mikulic
Nikki Han
Sofia Malik
Tim Hanna
Toby Mok

Edit: Just to clarify, this isn't me sharing my opinion on who should have got a callback, nor am I slandering other kids and schools. There was a mistake in the list previously sent, so I shared this correct one. Also, yes, I am Tim Hanna.

Last edited:

Masterdebator

Frank Row (1)
Hi! Not sure where that list of state squad callbacks came from, but Catie Bako should definently be on it:

Alexia Rigoni
Anhaar Kareem
Anna Kremer
Archie Wolifson
Catie Bako
Charlie Henry
Charlotte Allan
Christian Mossati
Daniel Lloyd-Hurwitz
Darshanik Aryal
Eamonn O'Loughlin
Emma Greenup
Ethan Tan
Iris Lee
Jack Glass
Jack Story
James Woo
Jason Lin
Josh O'Dea
Kasra Roushan
Neva Mikulic
Nikki Han
Sofia Malik
Tim Hanna
Toby Mok
Thank you for the list! I'm also taking it that you're Tim Hanna?

Reactions: THc

DebatingNerd

Allen Oxlade (6)
It looks like a bunch of schoolkids raided this forum overnight...

School engagement is good and all but note that this server is for keeping the debating community up to date with high school debating, not slandering other kids or schools. Just keep that in mind before posting on this server.

DebatingNerd signing off

DebatingNerd

Allen Oxlade (6)
It looks like a bunch of school kids engaged in a forum….about school kids…

But in all seriousness though, apologies if anything I said was viewed as slander; absolutely not my intention :)
I'm just giving all the new kids who haven't been on the forums before a heads up. Don't get me wrong, student engagement is brillaint.

Also you can put two and two together about what school they come from by the messages they send which is amusing to say the least.

DebatingNerd

Allen Oxlade (6)
For instance, loldebating is probably an SG debater given the self-advertisement for their school. "Sydney Girls has three people in callbacks including one year ten so they could be pretty strong."
I'm going to assume it's that one Year 10 they refer to in their message.

THc is Tim Hanna - so it's good to see some transparency there.

DebatingNerd

Allen Oxlade (6)
I wish I was the one year ten who made callbacks haha, I’m not that good at debating yet!
Don't fret too much on this - the fact you made State callbacks in Year 10 is a crazy feat and is something to be proud of.

Continue applying yourself to debating and I guarantee you will go very far :):)

thatWasToSay

Stan Wickham (3)
We’re now just over the half way mark of the ISDA group stage, and despite the results spreadsheet not being quite complete, we can start to put together a picture of what the various groups look like.

Here are the tables, * represents a debate with the result missing.

Pool A

Pymble - 3
Abbotsleigh - 3
Wenona - 3
Knox - 2*

Riverview - 2
Ravenswood - 1*
Roseville - 0*
Tangara - 0*

Pool B

St Joseph’s - 3
St Aloysius - 2*
Kambala - 2
Monte - 2

St Catherine’s - 1***
Cranbrook - 1*
Scots - 1*
Ascham - 1

Pool C

Barker - 4
Loretto Kirribilli - 3
PLC - 3
SCEGGS - 2

St Andrews - 1*
Trinity - 1
Newington - 0**
Kincoppal - 0*

Pool D

Grammar - 4
Kings - 3
Redlands - 2**
Brigidine - 2
MLC - 2

St Luke’s - 1*
Queenwood - 0*
Shore - 0

I think that’s all correct, although it’s possible I’ve made an error.

Grammar (predictably) and Barker both undefeated and looking strong. These numbers could be misleading as teams will have had easier / harder draws, but we can start to get a look at who will make finals.

thatWasToSay

Stan Wickham (3)
Anyone have results from the 4 Octos that happened tonight?

Kambala v St Andrews
Brigidine v Knox
Grammar v Ravenswood
St Joseph’s v Loretto Kirribili

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
Could someone create the 2023 NSW Debating thread please? Given that 2022 debating is now over