• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2023

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
How is the debating looking this season gentlemen?

Debating, at its core, is a multifaceted and intellectually rigorous pursuit that embodies the essence of critical thinking, effective communication, and the pursuit of truth. It encompasses a rich tapestry of skills and principles, weaving together logic, rhetoric, evidence, and persuasive discourse. Debating serves as a vibrant arena where individuals engage in a structured and respectful exchange of ideas, challenging assumptions, defending viewpoints, and seeking to elucidate the complexities of various subjects. Thus, I can singularly amalgamate the physical manifestation that is this forum's relation to NSW-related endeavors. Any thoughts or queries keep me updated gentlemen.
Chat GPT couldn’t have said it better

InterestedBystander

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think Chat GPT would probably have been intelligent enough to have addressed all humans, read the forum and therefore not asked the first question, and probably not wasted its time. But that's just Chat GPT.

Last edited:
B

BobJones

ISDA RUN DOWN OF TEAMS LEFT AND PROBABILITY OF WINNING:

8: Shore 5% - A solid team, yet they were in an easy pool with a relatively easy octo. Historically Shore have not been a big name on the circuit.
7: Cranbrook 5% - A lot is unknown about this team; however, they have overcome big names such as Joey's and even knocked out Knox.
6: Scots 6% - Losing state speaker for semis may make it very difficult for them to make it through. Solid team, though.
5: Barker 8% - Same as Scots, very solid team, perhaps a fair bit stronger, but losing their state speaker for semis is fatal.
4: Riverview 15% - Have had a very strong ISDA season and are definitely in contention; however, they were in an easy pool/octo.
3: Joey's 17% - Amazing form ever since 2022 GPS, however loss to Cranbrook is somewhat concerning! Definitely in contention, though.
2: Aloys 20% - Juggernaut of ISDA debating, undefeated and won against a strong Pymble. Very strong chance.
1: Grammar 30% - The GOAT School of debating; even though they are weaker than in previous years, they truly are a force to be reckoned with, and my favourite to take the trophy. They have amazing depth and speakers.

InterestedBystander

Frank Nicholson (4)
Yawn. Meaningless unsubstantiated drivel. And the probability percentages total something meaningless. Clearly not Chat GPT or a close impersonator.

If you're interested enough or lucky enough to be able to attend a debate advise the motion, congratulate the winners, commiserate with the losers, comment on the strengths of each side's offering. Don't mention any personal names.

Last edited:

William McIlrath

Bob McCowan (2)
Yawn. Meaningless unsubstantiated drivel. And the probability percentages total something meaningless. Clearly not Chat GPT or a close impersonator.

If you're interested enough or lucky enough to be able to attend a debate advise the motion, congratulate the winners, commiserate with the losers, comment on the strengths of each side's offering. Don't mention any personal names.
This is a joke. Could we get a mod to remove the obvious schoolboys from the thread? I have noticed this becoming a theme within the debating, fencing and rugby forums.

Last edited:

gooseylover101

Bob McCowan (2)

8: Shore 5% - A solid team, yet they were in an easy pool with a relatively easy octo. Historically Shore have not been a big name on the circuit.
7: Cranbrook 5% - A lot is unknown about this team; however, they have overcome big names such as Joey's and even knocked out Knox.
6: Scots 6% - Losing state speaker for semis may make it very difficult for them to make it through. Solid team, though.
5: Barker 8% - Same as Scots, very solid team, perhaps a fair bit stronger, but losing their state speaker for semis is fatal.
4: Riverview 15% - Have had a very strong ISDA season and are definitely in contention; however, they were in an easy pool/octo.
3: Joey's 17% - Amazing form ever since 2022 GPS, however loss to Cranbrook is somewhat concerning! Definitely in contention, though.
2: Aloys 20% - Juggernaut of ISDA debating, undefeated and won against a strong Pymble. Very strong chance.
1: Grammar 30% - The GOAT School of debating; even though they are weaker than in previous years, they truly are a force to be reckoned with, and my favourite to take the trophy. They have amazing depth and speakers.
Cranbrook 5%!!!

With the likes of Owen Magee who could be considered a parliamentary statistical genius...

FoleyBealeFolau

Ward Prentice (10)

I have heard about the Cranbrook team. The giant slayers they are referred to around Bellevue hill with wins against the likes of Joeys and Knox. If you have the likes of Joeys among the favourites surely Cranbrook must be higher up. With the debating team of Robbie Wyer, Caspar Nicholson, Owen Magee (c) and Joseph Bartram.

The Bait

Allen Oxlade (6)
I have heard about the Cranbrook team. The giant slayers they are referred to around Bellevue hill with wins against the likes of Joeys and Knox. If you have the likes of Joeys among the favourites surely Cranbrook must be higher up. With the debating team of Robbie Wyer, Caspar Nicholson, Owen Magee (c) and Joseph Bartram.
They might usually be higher up, it’s just they face an undefeated team tonight,who is also undefeated in CAS.

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
Cranbrook vs St Aloyisus' - Cranbrook to Win against the dunces of the north.
Joeys vs Riverview - No explanation needed a battle for the last brain cell.
Grammar vs Shore - Grammar overrated
Scot's vs Baker - Scots to win, definitely one to watch.
So Aloys, Joeys, Grammar and Barker won last night. 4 Aff wins and 2 neg wins in Senior A/B. Anyone have news on if national schools means that Grammar against Barker gets rescheduled?

Last edited:

The Bait

Allen Oxlade (6)
Anyone have news on if national schools means that Grammar against Barker gets rescheduled?

In all seriousness, why should any school accept a reschedule for a semi final ? They could be placed at a big disadvantage for the final by rescheduling to the following week let’s say, having to debate late at night then go to school etc then do it again next Friday. Year 12 is busy enough so it’s a big imposition.

The State team has reserves for this very reason.

Cue the wrath from the commentariat.

btw my comment is not directed at Debater, Debater is a legend and merely asking the question.

InterestedBystander

Frank Nicholson (4)
why should any school accept a reschedule for a semi final ? They could be placed at a big disadvantage for the final by rescheduling to the following week let’s say, having to debate late at night then go to school etc then do it again next Friday. Year 12 is busy enough so it’s a big imposition.
It’s the right thing to do. Insisting on a match against a team knowingly depleted due to one or more members selected for the state team choosing to attend the nationals would be unsportspersonlike and unfair. A victory would be hollow and lacking in integrity.

Anyone in the Senior teams would be expected to have decent time-management skills. ‘Imposition’ is a misconstrued concept in this situation. The argument presented lacks clarity so is difficult to understand.

Given the nationals are ‘always’ in May, surely there’s precedent?

Debater

Herbert Moran (7)
btw my comment is not directed at Debater, Debater is a legend and merely asking the question.
:D Thank you!

In all seriousness, why should any school accept a reschedule for a semi final ? They could be placed at a big disadvantage for the final by rescheduling to the following week let’s say, having to debate late at night then go to school etc then do it again next Friday. Year 12 is busy enough so it’s a big imposition.

The State team has reserves for this very reason.

Cue the wrath from the commentariat.

This makes sense. I think rescheduling is just the orderly thing to do. You don't want to be known as the school that takes advantage of other teams' situations like this. I also think it is just better to go against a team at full strength. It is a much better form of preparation for the grand final if you make it and I think your win will feel tainted if you deny a request to reschedule. You don't want the feeling of an * being next to your victory.

Also, I understand that changing the time will be challenging especially given you need three adjudicators, can't miss school and other commitments etc., but on the year 12s having other things to do, are we sure that all of the Grammar team are in year 12? Also worth noting that Archdale is on Tuesday nights and the students cope well. Debating doesn't have to be on Fridays.

i-debate

Allen Oxlade (6)
Grammar team has 2 year 12’s. I have checked their calendars and they are very very busy boys with lots of assessments the following week. They do have availability on May 26 at 745pm for an hour though. Also free on June 2.