• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Match Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Those kind of games are what I am talking about when I say NZ super teams need to play SA teams in super rugby!!

I know what you mean Dan but if that's the sort of game that was served up week in, week out not many people would watch it I don't reckon. Need to strike a balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Seriously this Stormers team can finish nothing. Terrible.

It took 78 minutes for the ref to warn the Crusaders to stop holding not players at the ruck. It's dirty and has no place in the game. It is designed to provoke and take defenders out of the game. I can't believe how they got away with it. It has replaced them taking space beyond the ruck which was their little trick last year. Unbelievable.

How the hell did the Stormers lose that? After all that work.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I know what you mean Dan but if that's the sort of game that was served up week in, week out not many people would watch it I don't reckon. Need to strike a balance.

I thought it was intense and good to watch but I know some people prefer a game like the reds cheetahs last night were defense was completely optional for 80 minutes.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I thought it was intense and good to watch but I know some people prefer a game like the reds cheetahs last night were defense was completely optional for 80 minutes.
Yeah sad but true. I think the current setup with Super Rugby strikes a good balance but. Enough of everything to keep most punters interested.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It was intense. Stormers defence was tough, as always, but the Crusaders looked bereft in attack, especially in the first half. Dishing it laterally and slowly, no-one really changing the angle, really slow service from Heinz.
I'm with @Scoey - between the Reds-Cheetahs tryfest, and that slugfest is a happy medium.
But there's something to watch and enjoy in both.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
lots of staunch collisions alright, hectic, but somehow fairly turgid viewing for the first 70 mins.

Tom Taylor's scything match-saving tackle, that alone'll help replenish Tony Johnstone's spank bank for the week.

Meat and potatoes Cantab backline is all potatoes and no meat.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Hurrah Scoey you get it, I don't want us to just play SA teams, but we need to play them!

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Reports coming through that the Blues Cruise has somehow managed to run aground on the high veldt overnight.

kirwan_zps67473f4d.jpg

"The reports can suck it. That
was a sperm sandwich and it
just blew up in my face."

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I enjoyed the Blues/bulls game DP, Bulls played bloody well, I didn't actually think the Blues were too bad.
I thought that in forwards, Luatua and Braid had good games against a good big pack.
Backs I was impressed with Hallai and Li on wings, and think Piatau is red hot at fullback. I strongly suspect that Hickey is going to be a very good player at this level and perhaps going to be handy back up for 10 at AB level in a year or 2, he plays quite a good mature game for a young kid, I wasn't too sure if he could carry his ITM cup form up to S15, but at this early stage looks like he might. Benji may have to content himself with riding the pine a bit this year against the better teams I think.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Bulls surprised me. Very little kick and hope. Hougaard hardly kicked and left it up to Potgieter who is in excellent form. As a result Hougaard was able to play his natural game and looked a totally different player.

The Bulls back row was a lot more balanced that in previous weeks.

Carry on like this and the Bulls will do a lot better than I thought. They are going to be as hard as ever to beat at home.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Carter missing from the action I think has more impact.

Biggest problem is Lee-Lo's too lateral, we need Crotty there which allows everyone else to play where they belong I.e. Slade 10, Taylor 12, Dagg 15. Todd also needs to bring back Zac & give MacNichol another crack. Heinz now injured so Ellis to start. Flynn also injured so get someone in there who can actually throw in properly.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Pathetic by SANZAR referees. Zero consistency. Referring to the Burger penalty after being held onto, I agree with the decision but last week Fugistaller was sent off for retaliating to being held on.

Fuglistaller's retaliation was far closer to punching than Burger's. Burger only hit at the arm of the player holding on to him.

I am glad the Crusaders were penalised. It's poor to have situations where infringing players earn their team penalties.

Fuglistaller was stupid to punch back. In his situation, both players should have been yellow carded in my opinion.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Fuglistaller's retaliation was far closer to punching than Burger's. Burger only hit at the arm of the player holding on to him.

I am glad the Crusaders were penalised. It's poor to have situations where infringing players earn their team penalties.

Fuglistaller was stupid to punch back. In his situation, both players should have been yellow carded in my opinion.

Players get held like that all the time in scrums and rucks. Definitely a penalty but a YC would have been harsh IMO. An uppercut is almost always gonna be a card and I couldn't believe at the time how the Aussie commentators were going on about what a bad call that was.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Players get held like that all the time in scrums and rucks. Definitely a penalty but a YC would have been harsh IMO. An uppercut is almost always gonna be a card and I couldn't believe at the time how the Aussie commentators were going on about what a bad call that was.

Not supporting the commentators at all as they are over the top parochial in their calls and comments, but in cases like this I do think the perpetrator has to be dealt with at least as harshly as the retalliator. If the instigator is yellow carded a few times I would expect a lot of the shit would go out of the game, and that would be good for the game and the spectators.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
If cynical play is responded to with foul play, in this case an underhanded uppercut, then the guy who threw the uppercut will get a yellow and the penalty against his team every time.

Whether the instigator should get a yellow is another question, and in this case you can argue yes. The ref has to decide if the original penalty was yellow card worthy. I reckon it's 50/50 if a ref would give a yellow for the original offence.

But I don't think that it can be argued that Fuglistaller shouldn't have been carded and the final penalty against the Rebels for his uppercut.

And I don't think a yellow should be given if someone retaliates and the instigator's offence wasn't worthy of a yellow card.

Status
Not open for further replies.