• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Obituaries

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fun Fact: there's a statue of Richad O'Brien in Riff Raff mode right here in The Tron:

IMG_1134.JPG

Was born here, apparently.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Not mainstream, but RIP Mark Lanegan, lead singer of The Screaming Trees, and part-time member of Queens of The Stone Age

I remember seeing The Screaming Trees at the Big Day Out 1995, along with The Offspring, and Courtney Love

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He played in the curtain raiser to the first rugby test my Dad took me to.

If my memory serves me correctly it was a Bledisloe Cup test in 1988 at Concord Oval and there was an under 19 or under 20 game as a curtain raiser in which Va'aiga Tuigamala played .

Inga the Winger absolutely ran riot and dominated the match.

Vale to a great player who should have played far more test rugby.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Only time I saw him play live was in a charity match in Foxton in aid of a young bloke paralysed by a rugby injury. Before, during & after the match he was constantly surrounded by kids of all ages wanting his autograph (no selfies back in those days). Match stats probably zero but definitely player of the day.

Per the news story his last project was trying to turn his health struggles into something that might help other people in his situation. I really hope it makes it to air after a suitable & respectful delay, I'm pretty sure that's what he'd have wanted & God knows it's needed.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Terrible news that Shane Warne has passed away in Thailand at age 52 of a suspected heart attack. First Dean Jones, Rod Marsh and now the legend. Way too young. So many great memories. Australian cricket just one gut punch after another. Vale Warnie.

Last edited:

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
This hits hard. He's arguably the biggest public figure in Australia, bar none. I hope there's a state funeral at the MCG.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Was just talking to a mate yesterday about Rod Marsh, how the real characters of the game had an indelible place in your mind. This news is just shocking. Had a couple of personal encounters with Warne - he was truly his own man, and the definition of a "character". RIP.