• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Olympics

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought I'd make a new thread seeing as there seems to be some interest in discussing it.

Slightly off-topic, but this is yet another example of the IOC losing its soul in search of the dollar. Events steeped in tradition and athletic purity swept away for things such as BMX bikes.

Is it in search of a dollar or just remaining relevant?

BMX was added to the cycling program by dropping two track events. I'd argue that 5 track events each for men and women is plenty and replacing a couple of niche track events with BMX is a great idea. The BMX is a good event and provides more diversity.

Surely the Olympics should reflect events athletes and sportspeople actually compete in at a high standard rather than just being about tradition?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The Olympics is going to have to be pared back or its future is in jeopardy. The winter and summer games are becoming so expensive now that a lot of countries aren't bidding or the ones who are "lucky" enough to host it are finding themselves in financial trouble. Anything that can't go on generally doesn't and a good hard look at the total number of sports being played is going to have to be undertaken. I personally think we've gone way too far in including sports like tennis, BMX and some of the X-games style events. I'm not for one minute suggesting we go back to having athletics, swimming, wrestling and the modern pentathlon like in the old days, but do we really need in the order of 38 sports in it?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Begs the obvious question then, are the best rugby players in the world going to be in Rio?

Should sevens be there?

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Begs the obvious question then, are the best rugby players in the world going to be in Rio?

Should sevens be there?
I like the soccer rules of an U23 side with a couple of key players. In saying that maybe soccer also doesn't belong. But if soccer is there Rugby should be a low cost inclusion using the same stadiums and the sevens is only a two day carnival

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I like the soccer rules of an U23 side with a couple of key players. In saying that maybe soccer also doesn't belong. But if soccer is there Rugby should be a low cost inclusion using the same stadiums and the sevens is only a two day carnival

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Faster, higher, stronger" - as long as you are under 23. The Olympics should be for elite athletes only but soccer laughs at this tradition, so that the World Cup is not challenged.
Under age athletes? Next we will be having handicap races in the 100m!

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Aus sailing team won't be as successful as the last time around - but will go head to head with the cycling team for the best sport performance by aussies

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
"Faster, higher, stronger" - as long as you are under 23. The Olympics should be for elite athletes only but soccer laughs at this tradition, so that the World Cup is not challenged.
Under age athletes? Next we will be having handicap races in the 100m!

Yeah, but we all know the administrators of soccer have their snouts firmly buried in the trough. Mind you, as does the IOC.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
ahh The Olympics, who among you can forget some of the glorious events that have been staged over history on the world stage......

Hot-Air Balloon Javelining.

Simple enough. Last balloon remaining aloft won the gold.

As you'd expect, the krauts were murder at this one.

hotairballoon.jpg

The New Zealand team at the startline of the 1908 Olympiad, a
scant 2 minutes and 18 seconds before all 4 of them plummeted
to their deaths, bounced, then plummeted a little bit more.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Wheelchair Downhill Dressage

Strangely phased out in 1962. Fairly basic premise. No rules. The last athlete to get to the bottom of the hill, the most elegantly, in a wheelchair, wins the gold. Take your time, dickheads.

ski.jpg

ps, no wheelchair + yellow dayglo suit = instant disqualification.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Wheelchair Shot-Putt Golf.

Roll around a golf course in a fuckin' wheelchair, putting a shot, least number of putts wins, just like with real golf. The notorious offshore crosswinds at Royal St Andrews SHOULD be negated by the fact that shot putts are heavy as all-fuck but we'll just have to wait and see.

standrews.jpg

No sweat, piece of piss, wheelchair access since 1663.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Coxless 4 Synchronized Pith Helmet Water Polo.

This comically crap event rapidly became infamous for:
  • drownings
  • scoreless draws
  • wet helmets
  • drowned helmets
  • accusations of poolside colonial exploitation
The event was hurriedly phased out of the Olympics altogether once the popular British sitcom “It Ain’t Half Hot Mum” went off the air.

001972_01.jpg

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm not affiliated from a technical or coaching perspective but that fat-arsed wombat looks purpose built for a bit of wheelchair downhill dressage.