• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

One Dayers v NZL

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Turban

mark_s said:
Gloves with spikes? - Are these relics from the bodyline era?

To be honest I'd forgotten i had them until a comm one day on the radio was talking about them and I went and pulled them out and marvelled just how crap and cheap they were. Imagine a normal pair of non-sports gloves, then imagine 3 rows of soft plastic rounded spikes running down the back of each finger, over the knuckle and down the back of the hand, with the spikes rolled so that the two outside rows meet the inside row. I'm sure they must be from my grand-dad but nobody can remember.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Turban said:
mark_s said:

To be honest I'd forgotten i had them until a comm one day on the radio was talking about them and I went and pulled them out and marvelled just how crap and cheap they were. Imagine a normal pair of non-sports gloves, then imagine 3 rows of soft plastic rounded spikes running down the back of each finger, over the knuckle and down the back of the hand, with the spikes rolled so that the two outside rows meet the inside row. I'm sure they must be from my grand-dad but nobody can remember.
I had these as a kid Turbs. They were new. I am younger than Lee Grant too! They were a cruel punishment inflicted upon me by someone - almost no ability to protect ones hands from a cricket ball. I suppose D Bradman would have gone OK with them, with his probably superior hand-eye co-ordination, but mere mortals...no.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Watch this shot on YouTube: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=uR0EpxlvyVc At the 0:10 mark there's the distinctive sound of ball on wood. Whether it's the bat or the stump is debatable, but I'd argue the ball hit one of those before it settled into Haddin's gloves. If the ball hit the bat rather than the stump, Haddin could've claimed a catch under Law 40.3.(a).(i). 3. To wit, "Position of wicket-keeper. The wicket-keeper shall remain wholly behind the wicket at the striker's end from the moment the ball comes into play until (a) a ball delivered by the bowler (i) touches the bat."

One could mount an argument Haddin took a legitimate catch. It'd be very interesting to replay the snickometer very slowly to check when that sound of leather on wood occurred. Of course, if the ball didn't hit the bat Haddin should grovel very lowly and apologise for an error in judgement.

F

formeropenside

cyclopath said:
Turban said:
mark_s said:

I had these as a kid Turbs. They were new. I am younger than Lee Grant too! They were a cruel punishment inflicted upon me by someone - almost no ability to protect ones hands from a cricket ball. I suppose D Bradman would have gone OK with them, with his probably superior hand-eye co-ordination, but mere mortals...no.

They were in my primary school's cricket kit in the early 80's, although they were definately old model even then. I remember the spikes as green rubber, myself.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yep - the green rubber spike gloves that got NO use whatsoever at our primary school. Though we had to make up our XI from any kids able to play in years 3-6...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hey! I'm at this game (game 2). Pup's looking good. Warner, Haddin and D Hussey didn't.

Mills bowled very well and has a cannon arm in the field.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Remember how ODI's used to have that boring period between the 20th and 40th overs where they just push it around? Seems that now starts in the first over..

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The selectors are such incredible tossers. Why is Katich not opening the batting in one dayers?

Oh I forget, the need to minimize the time he and Shining Light Clarke spend in each other's company.

Song anyone?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Our bowling lineup needs to be taken out the back and shot. I include Bitch Johnson in that, but maybe not Bracken at this point. Hopes almost redeemed himself on bowling alone but didn't take two more wickets like he needed. LINE AND FUCKING LENGTH YOU CLOWNS! Doesn't matter how fast you are Bitch if they're tonking you to the fence!

T

Turban

NTA said:
Our bowling lineup needs to be taken out the back and shot. I include Bitch Johnson in that, but maybe not Bracken at this point. Hopes almost redeemed himself on bowling alone but didn't take two more wickets like he needed. LINE AND FUCKING LENGTH YOU CLOWNS! Doesn't matter how fast you are Bitch if they're tonking you to the fence!

If our batsman could pull finger our bowlers wouldn't be under so much pressure. Almost the entire problem with our team is in the batsmen ATM. As much as the commentators don't seem to rate him, Marsh was our top batsmen vs the best ODI team in the world and we missed him. Clarke is not an opener, and he's not a brilliant ODI batsman either. I didn't mind him opening with Warner but when Warner fell someone had to up the run rate and Clarke failed. Hussey didn't do too badly but he is obviously subject to his captains wishes and he probably isn't in the best stead with Clarke after the whole song'n'dance they had. Clarke staying out there all day yesterday almost felt like he was only interested in boosting his ODI stats, because he had an oppertunity to really lift the rate with the wickets we had in hand and didn't.

Seriously NTA, how can you watch us get 75 runs in 25 over and say "the bowler are to blame"?

T

Turban

Also at the halftime Slater seemed to be holding back his opinon after seeing the pitch and Gilly seemed pretty scathing when talking about the speed of the pitch these days being our excuse everytime. Seems like we just can't get the runs on the board with our current line-up and then the bowlers are just under too much pressure. I'd love to see what happens if the Kiwis came out and batted first.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Blue said:
The selectors are such incredible tossers. Why is Katich not opening the batting in one dayers?

Oh I forget, the need to minimize the time he and Shining Light Clarke spend in each other's company.

Song anyone?
Spot on Blue. The selectors mentality that players seem to get stamped as "not for tests, or not for ODIs" shits me. Katich can play 50 over cricket. Warner's all very good at 20-20, but why an orthodox opener like Katich (or even Hughes) is not tried baffles me. Tell me why Bracken couldn't bowl at Test level in England too? Hilfenhaus...half track pie-chucker from what I've seen.

R

rugbywhisperer

Finally a win for the A team. I would imaging if you were able to actually watch the game live it would have been even more enjoyable.
Again the boffins at channel 9 (it seems to be contagious) have decreed that Queensland viewers are incapable of comprehending a live broadcast and again we watched national sport an hour delayed.
This is starting to get very irritating indeed.

T

Turban

rugbywhisperer said:
Finally a win for the A team. I would imaging if you were able to actually watch the game live it would have been even more enjoyable.
Again the boffins at channel 9 (it seems to be contagious) have decreed that Queensland viewers are incapable of comprehending a live broadcast and again we watched national sport an hour delayed.
This is starting to get very irritating indeed.

Me too, god forbid they actually don't manage to cram a thousand adds in for once. I don't think we've gotten to watch a live ODI yet this year in Perth. Bloody annoying when you make the mistake of going outside and putting the radio on not realising that you've been watching it delayed.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
perhaps no-one told Channel 9 that QLD still don't have DST...

I like the way that they now have ads during the cricket in addition to between overs. A new low.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Turban said:
Seriously NTA, how can you watch us get 75 runs in 25 over and say "the bowler are to blame"?

Did I say anywhere that the batsmen weren't responsible? 8) But its our bowlers who need a kick up the arse - the kiwis showed the value of bowling tight, bowling in pairs, and bowling to a plan. Johnson just sprays shit down all day long and thinks pace will cover him.

T

Turban

NTA said:
Turban said:

Did I say anywhere that the batsmen weren't responsible? 8) But its our bowlers who need a kick up the arse - the kiwis showed the value of bowling tight, bowling in pairs, and bowling to a plan. Johnson just sprays shit down all day long and thinks pace will cover him.

The whole team needs a kick. Johnson seems to have come out of test mood thinking he has to bowl with variation on every single bowl but he doesn't have the variety to match his ambition. Someone needs to remind him that wickets are great but so are dot balls.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Turban said:
NTA said:
Turban said:

The whole team needs a kick. Johnson seems to have come out of test mood thinking he has to bowl with variation on every single bowl but he doesn't have the variety to match his ambition. Someone needs to remind him that wickets are great but so are dot balls.
Think if your batters put up 300+ and your bowlers dont join the party , your fucked. Aus can thank their lucky stars Vettori did not bat first. They wont cope with the extra pressure batting second.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Callum Ferguson is the fucking man. The way he really watches the ball all the way in is an example to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.