• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Our "JFK" Moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I was watching the game The Crown and Anchor in Newcastle with some friends.
There was a band on afterwards and the lead guys were Kiwis. Instead of starting with a heavy song to get the crowd pumping they played a sad ballad.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I remember watching the other TV and hearing my Dad make this incredible noise, a cross between a battle cry and laughter. Watched the rest of game and assumed we were great at this sport I'd never payed attention to before, then the following game...

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was on the front lawn of the Courthouse Hotel in Cairns watching the big screen, screaming my lungs out with all of the Barron Trinity boys. It was even sweeter because my flat mate at the time was a Kiwi.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
At a mate's 18th in Fingal Bay. I'd just finished HSC exams. You could say that I was in a good mood after that game.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I was watching the game The Crown and Anchor in Newcastle with some friends.
There was a band on afterwards and the lead guys were Kiwis. Instead of starting with a heavy song to get the crowd pumping they played a sad ballad.
Weren't you like 15 at the time? :D

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Can't remember that then, but would have been at my then home in Noosa.
Yet I do remember the final very well as I slipped on a wet grassy slope just five minutes before it started whilst making sure my then Dutchie gf's champagne glass was well filled for the duration of the first half as she was uninterested in rugby and preferred to be outside with her German friends at their place. The bottle of bubbly thus foamed out everywhere and I strained my medial ligament so my poor Dutchie gf ended up serving me drinks all night whilst watching the rugby!

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
Was watching in a pub in eastern europe... full house it was too - great atmosphere!

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
cant remember exactly where I watched that game,however I DO remember where i was when JFK was assasinated(& it wasn't on the grassy knoll)

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I was row 1 at the end he was running away from. Pretty sure I was screaming, jumping up & down and Hi-5ing my mate and wishing he hadn't brought his Kiwi girlfriend along.

Was a fantastic moment as it had been all the Kiwis to that point and my prayers for the TMO to rule Muliaina hadn't scored had only just been answered and then Stirlo was on his way...

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I was living back at the old house (my grandparents place) sitting on the floor of the lounge room in front of the TV with Ma & Nan watching from the lounge, & Pop watching from his chair. Good times.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I was sitting behind the goal posts watching Stirlo run towards me. Up to then I thought they were pretty crap seats.

Me too: he was running right towards me. A magic moment. One of the things I remember is that the audience in black wasn't in the game. The England supporters, whose team wasn't even playing, made more noise singing "Sweet Chariot" than the Kiwis.

And the Aussies singing "Waltzing Matilda" spontaneously? The vanilla Sydney crowd doesn't usually do that.

Magic.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
I originally posted

What intercept?

Was this at RWC 2003?

Thinking this was in relation to some Peter "sterlo" Sterling intercept in some RL game, so I left a smart Alec response as above.

I now realise it Stirlo Mortlock. Oops what a d...head was I?

Will leave the remnants of the original post as a reminder to me, and others about, the perils of shooting first and thinking later. :)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
At my in-laws, watching it on their massive screen during my sister-in-law's 21st. I remember just being in hysterics when it happened and pretty much just cacking myself with laughter for the rest of the match. I just never expected us to get anywhere near the Blackness that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.