• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pacific Nations Cup 2015

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pool A: JAPAN, SAMOA, TONGA
Pool B: CANADA, FIJI, USA

Fixture list:

http://pulse-static-files.s3.amazon...d_Rugby_Pacific_Nations_Cup_2015_Schedule.pdf

Round One teams

Fiji v Tonga

Fiji: 15 Kini Murimurivalu, 14 Waisea Nayacalevu, 13 Vereniki Goneva (c), 12 Lepani Botia, 11 Asaeli Tikoirotuma, 10 Ben Volavola, 9 Henry Seniloli, 8 Masi Matadigo, 7 Malakai Ravulo, 6 Dominiko Waqaniburotu, 5 Leone Nakarawa, 4 Tevita Cavubati, 3 Manasa Saulo, 2 Sunia Koto, 1 Campese Ma'afu.
Replacements: 16 Talemaitoga Tuapati, 17 Peni Ravai, 18 Taniela Koroi, 19 Nemia Soqeta, 20 Peceli Yato, 21 Nikola Matawalu, 22 Josh Matavesi, 23 Metuisela Talebula.

Tonga: 15 Vunga Lilo, 14 Telusa Veainu, 13 Alipate Fatafehi, 12 Sione Piukala, 11 Fetu'u Vainikolo, 10 Latiume Fosita, 9 Taniela Moa, 8 Viliami Ma'afu, 7 Nili Latu (c), 6 Hale T Pole, 5 Tukulua Lokotui, 4 Steve Mafi, 3 Halani Aulika, 2 Elvis Taione, 1 Alisona Taumalolo.
Replacements: 16 Sosefo Sakalia, 17 Tevita Mailau, 18 Sila Puafisi, 19 Joe Tu'ineau, 20 Viliami Fihaki, 21 Sonatane Takulua, 22 Kurt Morath, 23 Otulea Katoa.

Date: Saturday, July 18
Venue: ANZ Stadium, Suva
Kick-off: 15:00 local, 03:00 GMT, 04:00 BST
Referee: Chris Pollock (New Zealand)
Assistant referees: Nick Briant (New Zealand), Ben O'Keeffe (New Zealand)

Canada v Japan

Canada: 15 Matt Evans, 14 Jeff Hassler, 13 Ciaran Hearn, 12 Connor Braid, 11 DTH van der Merwe, 10 Liam Underwood, 9 Gordon McRorie, 8 Tyler Ardron, 7 Richard Thorpe, 6 Thyssen de Goede, 5 Jon Phelan, 4 Brett Beukeboom, 3 Doug Wooldridge, 2 Ray Barkwill, 1 Hubert Buydens.
Replacements: 16 Aaron Carpenter, 17 Djustice Sears-Duru, 18 Andrew Tiedemann, 19 Tyler Hotson, 20 Callum Morrison, 21 Phil Mack, 22 Nathan Hirayama, 23 Phil Mackenzie.

Japan: 15 Ayumu Goromaru (c), 14 Yoshikazu Fujita, 13 Kotaro Matsushima, 12 Yu Tamura, 11 Kenki Fukuoka, 10 Harumichi Tatekawa, 9 Atsushi Hiwasa, 8 Hayden Hopgood, 7 Michael Broadhurst, 6 Justin Ives, 5 Luke Thompson, 4 Hitoshi Ono, 3 Hiroshi Yamashita, 2 Shota Horie, 1 Hisateru Hirashima.
Replacements: 16 Keita Inagaki, 17 Takeshi Kizu, 18 Shinnosuke Kakinaga, 19 Kazuhiko Usami, 20 Tsuyoshi Murata, 21 Keisuke Uchida, 22 Toshiaki Hirose, 23 Tim Bennetts.

Venue: Avaya Stadium, San Jose
Kick-off: 17:00 local, 00:00 GMT 1d, 01:00 BST 1d
Referee: Luke Pearce (England)
Assistant referees: Federico Anselmi (Argentina), Nick Ricono (USA)

USA v Samoa

USA: 15 Chris Wyles, 14 Taku Ngwenya, 13 Seamus Kelly, 12 Thretton Palamo, 11 Blaine Scully, 10 Alan MacGinty, 9 Shalom Suniula, 8 Danny Barrett, 7 John Quill, 6 Cam Dolan, 5 Greg Peterson, 4 Hayden Smith, 3 Matekitonga Moeakiola, 2 Phil Thiel, 1 Eric Fry.
Replacements 16 Zach Fenoglio, 17 Chris Baumann, 18 Titi Lamositele, 19 Scott Lavalla, 20 Andrew Durutalo, 21 Mike Petri, 22 Andrew Suniula, 23 Zach Test.

Samoa: 15 Ahsee Tuala, 14 Sinoti Sinoti, 13 Paul Perez, 12 Faialaga Afamasaga, 11 Alesana Tuilagi, 10 Patrick Faapale, 9 Vavao Afemai, 8 Sanele Vavae Tuilagi, 7 Jack Lam, 6 TJ Ioane, 5 Faatiga Lemalu, 4 Filo Paulo, 3 Anthony Perenise, 2 Manu Leiataua, 1 Sakaria Taulafo.
Replacements: 16 Motu Matu'u, 17 Viliamu Afatia, 18 Jake Grey, 19 Maselino Paulino, 20 Oneone Faafou, 21 Pele Cowley, 22 Johnny Leota, 23 Fa'atoina Autagavaia.

Venue: Avaya Stadium, San Jose
Kick-off: 19:00 local, 02:00 GMT 1d, 03:00 BST 1d
Referee: JP Doyle (England)
Assistant referees: Federico Anselmi (Argentina), Andrew McMaster (Canada)

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thoughts on the Fiji v Tonga match? Steve Mafi is in the Tonga team which worries me...Volvo should kick all the goals in though!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Samoa & Japan should be too strong for USA & Canada but really hard to seperate Fiji & Tonga. Home side possibly has a slight edge but it'll be close, methinks. Fiji by <9?

EDIT: Kiwi TAB has Tonga at $4.20 which seems way to much. Only giving a 9.5 start, tho.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Fiji win 30-22. Was 23-22 to Fiji with 10 to go and Tonga missed a penalty.

Haven't seen the game by followed the scoreline and comments. Sounded like a decent game.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
FT Samoa 21-16 USA.

All three results per the World Rugby rankings.

Round 2 on July 24:

Fiji v Samoa
Canada v Tonga
USA v Japan

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Was hard to fathom why bookies had Japan as underdogs with a +6.5 point start against Canada.

Needlessly to say I took full advantage of the bookies' rare mistake!

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
On the basis of round 1, I'm comfortable saying that Scotland should get through to the quarters. It's still anything but certain, you can never assume anything when it comes to the Samoans, but we should.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
On the basis of round 1, I'm comfortable saying that Scotland should get through to the quarters. It's still anything but certain, you can never assume anything when it comes to the Samoans, but we should.

Samoa were resting several top players against the USA and also had a bit of a nightmare getting over there. They were very impressive in the first half and tired in the 2nd (USA also played much better). I think Samoa at full strength will have too much firepower for Scotland.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)

Never wanna write off the Manu but as glimpsed from yesterdays game vs USA, its hard to believe the technicalities (i.e. around ruck and simple organising systems in broken play) were all but absent (showing some semblance against the darkness). The USA, if they had better systems (to target) and discipline could have easily accounted for such incoherence simply by disrupting ruck - countering rucking or pushed rush defense - and pressured more errors from the Manu.

And with the Scots on an improving ascent under the new management, and their exposure to better competitions, they could easily nullify the Manu.

My hope is that, the Manu are only adjusting their systems to allow for extended team members better exposure and playing combinations.

Yes, be wary the RWC creates strange psychological conditions that allows minnows to think and play like titans and giants to bow under pressure of their own narcissism.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Samoa were missing guys like Kahn Fotuali'i, Tim Nanai-Williams, Tusi Pisi, Kane Thompson, Joe Tekori, Census Johnson and a few others.

Also, the USA aren't that bad and Scotland aren't that good. Last year Scotland beat the US by 18 points, but really struggled against Canada in a 2 point win. And Canada are no better than the Americans at the moment.

I think it's actually going to be a pretty competitive pool. The USA and Japan are not going to be easy for Scotland and Samoa.