• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Palmer United Party

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
But how would that differ from the rest of the world?

I'm pretty left leaning but we need to get out of this culture of entitlement.

I have been exceeding CPI my last two pay reviews based on performance. The two companies I worked for previously though have offered closer to 1% to most employees the last two reviews though.

In order to entice the best work force the remuneration needs to be adequate, however we can't just expect annual rises above inflation out of right.

My argument is that the ADF is being asked to do more and more, with longer deployments and rapidly changing roles for the people there. Yet they are not worth level pegging with inflation. Yet at the same time I would as I said guarantee the Politicians are eyeing their next 10% pay rise awarded by their "independent" tribunal.

Also don't forget that the Banks have started to announce the next round of multi million dollar wage rises for themselves. This is a "negative" financial environment. The fat cats at the top of the tree, who not 5 years ago had to have their organisations guaranteed by the tax payers who now do not get pay rises in line with inflation, have never taken a day off from the trough that continues to give.

T

Train Without a Station

I agree with your point but what occurs in executive positions in public companies doesn't and shouldn't have any bearing on public service roles.

Whilst I also agree political pay rises in a time of pay decline in real terms in public service is a bad look, two factors should be considered:

1. What is the overall cost of MP (Moana Pasifika) Pay rises compared to the saving of the ADF reduction in pay rises. If the total Parliament pay rise amounts to less than $10M yet there is a $150M saving in capping the public service pay rises at 1.5% are we more caught up on the perception than the impact?

2. I honestly think that Australian politicians are not payed enough. Some of the politicians that we have are paid too much, but the remuneration does not attract the best candidates ultimately. The private sector is too lucrative to ignore.

But my point comes back that in a competitive market place, you will often have limited pay growth. Through our strong union culture in Australia (Which I oddly enough have come from), we have developed a sense of entitlement that pay growth will stay in line and generally out perform inflation. That's not the case in a competitive market though.

The fact of the matter is that people are not either forced to become a solider or a banking executive. Where they end up depends generally on both their aptitude, attitude, willingness to study and other factors.

If you have gone into low level public service roles hoping for financial prosperity you have been misguided. One of the negatives of these roles is generally that aside from the greater security, training opportunities, etc. is that the salaries are less competitive with the outside world.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
He's a champ old Clive. He is totally stuffed.

Funny enough Lambie's future looks brighter. A re-think on those financial advice laws will earn her political capital not to mention it was the right thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.