• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Phil 'Hypocrite' Waugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...damaging-australian-rugby-20110515-1eob0.html

Agree that it is bad from from Richard Graham, but why on earth does Waugh think the fans are booing in the first place! Because of the appalling play of his team, and some of the decision making of its leaders.

Phil Waugh opts for 20 scrums in a game vs the Reds yet he thinks Graham has a duty to grow the game. Take a good hard look at yourself before casting aspersions, Phil.

Waratahs skipper Waugh, who was sidelined with injury for the game, said Graham's approach was detrimental to the sport.

''I think it's probably one of the most appalling attitudes to come into a game with,'' Waugh told the Herald yesterday. ''Having a reliance on the home town's crowd to boo their team, particularly when we're trying to grow the game, is pretty poor. As a provincial coach you have a responsibility to grow the game and coming to Sydney, which is the biggest market, with that attitude is really disappointing.

''He is a coach that has experience with the Wallabies and is very involved in Australian rugby. I think it's really disappointing if I'm a rugby fan in Australia.

B

bazzamacca

Tahs have to grow out of Phils shadow. Phil is limited as a player but his winning record, as opposed to the Tahs losing record when he doesnt play, is impressive. However, he is running on old legs and has to go next season, along with his old mate Al Baxter. We need Gill from Qld and Elsom back as Captain.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I'm a huge fan of Waugh's leadership, but if this quote is taken in context he's being a bit ambitious. Tahs have had a lackluster approach games not involving the Force.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tahs have to grow out of Phils shadow. Phil is limited as a player but his winning record, as opposed to the Tahs losing record when he doesnt play, is impressive. However, he is running on old legs and has to go next season, along with his old mate Al Baxter. We need Gill from Qld and Elsom back as Captain.

oh Bazza, you piss some people off but you do make me laugh at times.

T

Tahfan

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...damaging-australian-rugby-20110515-1eob0.html

Agree that it is bad from from Richard Graham, but why on earth does Waugh think the fans are booing in the first place! Because of the appalling play of his team, and some of the decision making of its leaders.

It's not really all that bad form. It's more smart coaching IMO. At the end of the day Graham is paid to win games for the Force not to entertain and if he sees an opportunity to nulify a home crowd as the away coach he should take it. I didnt like it when I was there but more fool the Tahs for (A) falling into a kicking duel with them and (B) executing it so poorly that we were left with no choice but to react negatively.

I for one don't mind a GOOD kicking game, even if I would prefer to see entertaining running rugby. But if you can't kick well don't do it.

T

TOCC

but does gaPhil Waugh really think he is helping spread the games gospel by calling for scrum after scrum at Suncorp Stadium in the most recent Reds v Tahs me

The Force played to there strengths, just like the Tahs did at Suncorp.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Handbags at ten paces that one.

I thought this might of been about Waugh yelling out from the pine "take the fucking points" when he refused that option himself. He was a hypocryte that night.

You just worry about your own nest Phil. The irony is that the Force gave the Tahs so many chances to counter attack and impress their fans yet they refused to take the chance. Then the coach comes out with some childish comment suggesting that they made us do it.

It really is a joke.

B

bazzamacca

Noddy - denial is not a river in Eqypt. Gill = Tah 2012

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I missed last weeks' podcast, but is this quote from G&GR gets a woody?

D

daz

Ladies and Gents, while these piddling little verbal stouches seem to be atttracting the majority of the headlines and discussion points (in the newspapers as well as these esteemed forums), are we not missing the big picture here?

3 of the 5 Oz provinces sit at the very bottom of the S15 ladder, with little to no relief in sight. And in a world cup year, no less.

Let's have the captains and coaches and admin talk about changing that little tidbit of reality. Any team wanting to hold "public feedback discussions" could do worse than put some critical focus right there.

Anyway, if it is a slanging match between Waugh and Graham that the ARU/NSWRU/RugbyWA feels is appropriate at this time instead of consistant and continuous improvement across the board, then I for one will head straight to SportsBet and plonk a 10 dollar note on the Poms to carry out a repeat of 2007.

Shame on them all.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
If you know your opponent is going to kick at you all night, what tactics do you take in after receiving kick after kick?

1) Get men pushing back hard to get behind the ball, and throw it at least two passes across field to stretch the defence (Crusaders are the bench mark here, but teams like the Reds and Blues have also done it well at times)
2) Select guys with a huge and accurate boot to win the kicking duels and apply pressure from tactical kicks (Rebels for example, with Gerrard and Huxley)
3) Select big and strong guys to run it back hard, then recycle and work out a game plan from phase ball (Plenty of teams take this option a lot of the time)
4) Kick it back aimlessly and whine about the other team's tactics (Tahs, sadly)

There's no reason the Tahs had to take option 4. Clearly they aren't coached to do option 1 (although with Mitchell, Beale and Turner they certainly had the cattle), and they didn't back themselves to do option 3.

You can bet your bottom dollar, though, that the whole 'Saders team is coached to work their asses off to get behind the ball and do at least two passes across field to shift the point of attack, no matter who is in the team. It's a lack of coaching / game plan / leadership that allowed the Tahs to get sucked into aimless kicks back. It certainly doesn't help when you have one of the best running halfbacks (who is also one of the worst kicking halfbacks) in the comp putting up silly midfield box kicks.

If the other team is just going to kick at you all night, you have to make them pay. Adjust your tactics - get your flankers to hang back, for example, to either run the ball back hard into traffic or to ensure you can recycle your own ball, or get your blind winger running back hard to get onside in support to shift your point of attack and counter. The Tahs game plan simply can't adjust, or is woefully prepared to deal with negative tactics.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Loosely translated: "You can't do to us what we try and do week in week out. Who the feck do you think you are?"

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It's not really all that bad form. It's more smart coaching IMO. At the end of the day Graham is paid to win games for the Force not to entertain and if he sees an opportunity to nulify a home crowd as the away coach he should take it. I didnt like it when I was there but more fool the Tahs for (A) falling into a kicking duel with them and (B) executing it so poorly that we were left with no choice but to react negatively.

I for one don't mind a GOOD kicking game, even if I would prefer to see entertaining running rugby. But if you can't kick well don't do it.

Probably more bad form in that it is a pretty stupid way to try and win a game. Play to your own teams strengths first. If they can compete with the Saders, then they can compete with the Tahs without resort to relying on external factors.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I actually wonder whether Phil honestly thinks the Tahs try to play expansively, or if he knows what an expansive game is. Or even a game with variety. The quoted bits make him sound a little delusional. Perhaps he could only really appreciate what they truly look like from the stands, so that explains his calling for them going for 3 points after 23 scrums against the Reds. Who knows?

Reactions: Ash

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I too read this and thought "Get your hand off it Phil". Quite simply, if that was the only game of the year the Tahs failed to, as he puts it, grow the game, then I don't imagine it would've been much of a problem. As much as I love a high quality, fast, open and skilful game of rugby, the only thing that matters at the end of the day is who scored more points. Until rugby goes the way of gymnastics and awards points for style, I'll continue to take my wins however they come. Winning ugly is still winning.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
To be fair to Phil, there are quite a few people in global rugby who would be happy to turn up and watch scrum after scrum all day long.

Not me, mind, but there is quite a difference in intentionally going out to play to bore, and boring people because of the way you play.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
He still wants to whinge about it after winning the game, imagine if they'd lost. Still just gets pipped by Aus's worst OC with his over the top celebration after the freak try to win the game in the poor form stakes. Did he think he'd just scored one of the solo tries of the season?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
What Phil has said is true but he should never have said it. Sometimes truth is better left unsaid (eg. "Do I look fat in this?"). Phil and the Tahs already have their revenge.

The Force brought a better team to Sydney (because of the Tah injuries) and went home a loser (again). The Force gameplan was totally flawed, in that once the Tahs started playing keep-ball they had no idea what to do. There's been a lot of cheering of Graham lately, even after the Tahs game, but they have arguably had less injuries than the Tahs and look at their ladder position. They've got a good pack with four absolute stars and another two stars in the backline. So why have they lost so many games? The answer for mine is that they are not well coached, particularly when it comes to game strategy. And when Graham was Wallaby backs coach it was terrible too.

So Phil, this didn't need to be said. A smug smile was all that was required when asked the question. And smashing the Lions this week is the best possible answer to the critics.

Status
Not open for further replies.