• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Player eligibility

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
"The World Rugby Council has approved an amendment to the regulation 8 that will now permit an international player to transfer once from one union to another subject to demonstrating a close and credible link to that union via birth right."

FE9rtvfWYAIRfRW.png

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yehaa!!! Bloody great! I still not sure it exactly right, but it's a bloosy sight closer!!

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
"The World Rugby Council has approved an amendment to the regulation 8 that will now permit an international player to transfer once from one union to another subject to demonstrating a close and credible link to that union via birth right."

View attachment 12784

Do you have to announce that you are beginning the 36 month stand down and want to change allegiance or can it be that you just are not getting selected anymore?

Look at a player like Quade Cooper, he was eligible for the Wallabies but was not getting selected to play, if he got to the three year mark without selection and the All Blacks gave him a call and wanted him to play on the weekend could he just switch or would he have had to announce his intention to switch before the 36 month period commenced?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I expect there’s no ‘declaration’ needed. As such Issy Folau could play for Tonga next year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I was hoping that Will Genia might be able to turn out for PNG at the Com Games 7s next year but misses out by about two months.

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Weird. Australia might be able to get Nic Dolly & Louis Lyangh in a few years. Surely there’s a few All Blacks with Aussie grandparents too.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Weird. Australia might be able to get Nic Dolly & Louis Lyangh in a few years. Surely there’s a few All Blacks with Aussie grandparents too.

they can get Dolly and Lynagh now.

which All Blacks have Aussie grand parents?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
This must piss off some cashed up Japanese & French clubs. Thought you got a committed Henry Speight and Lima Soapaga, who’ll be available 12 months a year. Now clamouring to represent country again. My heart bleeds for those billionaires

Wilson

David Codey (61)
This must piss off some cashed up Japanese & French clubs. Thought you got a committed Henry Speight and Lima Soapaga, who’ll be available 12 months a year. Now clamouring to represent country again. My heart bleeds for those billionaires
Generally yes, but I can't see Fiji bothering with Speight, they're not exactly lacking for wing options.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think

Coleman for Tonga (if he makes the switch) might be the most important individual they pick up. Lots of talented backs available for them, not so many tight 5 forwards

agree - that's where the opportunity will be. No point looking for wings to help Fiji out etc. Some hardened forwards and perhaps a cunning flyhalf.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Naiyaravoro might get a look in along with Nathan Hughes for Fiji
They're a much better chance of getting a call up, but I think Fiji will be very careful, at least at first. They've been putting a lot of work into their pathways and Raiwalui has been out in public saying they didn't want or need the change. I'm sure they'll take advantage of it eventually, but it might take a really world class player for them break that seal.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So I guess some options may be:

Tevita Kuridrani (eligible for Fiji now - experience would be handy acknowledging the number of outside backs they have)
Sefa Naivalu (eligible for Fiji now - provides a bit more versatility than just wing)
Chris Feauai-Sautai (eligible for Samoa now)

Joe Tomane I think is eligible for Samoa now?

Then there's a few 7s guys I wasn't sure of there heritage.

There may be others I have missed - I know Liam Gill, for example, spent a fair bit of time in the USA. But does anyone know if he has a parent or grandparent born there?