• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Player off-field non-rugby transgressions

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The thing I find concerning from KBs perspective is why the cops had to pull him over on a busy road to arrest him when they could have just hung around at Tahs training and waited for it to finish. That said, Kingsford is not far from Daceyville. I’m speculating in my head as to the reasons for this, but I won’t here.

Not sure what you're suggesting, but if it is what i think then it's not true..

Police don't just hang around at someone's workplace through for this type of crime though, it's not a very efficient use of time.
If someone is to be arrested, they simply update their details in the database, this includes automatic number plate readers which all police cars have these days and provide alerts to those in the car, that's the most likely reason he was pulled over on a busy road.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I'd prefer getting yanked from the car than taken from work or home where the wife and 3 month old are watching.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Has Australian Rugby had to go through a sexual assault allegation/charge before? The only other one I can remember is a player overseas being reported as being arrested for sexual assault when he was infact just questioned by police about the actions of a team mate (he captained the brumbies to the 2013 win over the lions...)

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Living with in-laws. I bet that's a vibe.

March 22 before next court date, that's at least a month of the season gone without any training with the group (unless the charges are dropped of course)

I can understand the prosecution not wanting bail but I didnt like the part of claiming he would be a risk of re-offending without stating reasons of why they think he would be.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hey @dru can you please move my post to this thread?

Cheers mate
I get a lot of ppl dont want to talk about it so reg delete if you want.

just posting facts so far, he has been granted bail this morning, i cant read the DT one but it says in the small part I can the court heard he has been recorded 'making admissions'

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Ditto with mine dru if you can.

MS, I have not judged anyone in this. I used to think the same way as you are proposing, There are too many cases where it is not as clear as it appears at first. Best not to place judgements on either side. Who is innocent and who is guilty is yet to be defined. Your post seems to imply she is innocent, I have never stated any support for either side and I will not do so.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Not sure what you're suggesting, but if it is what i think then it's not true..

Police don't just hang around at someone's workplace through for this type of crime though, it's not a very efficient use of time.
If someone is to be arrested, they simply update their details in the database, this includes automatic number plate readers which all police cars have these days and provide alerts to those in the car, that's the most likely reason he was pulled over on a busy road.
Police have built a case in the last month.
they got a warrant and recorded his phone conversations.
they got to a stage where they believed they had enough to charge him.
then they planned how they would do it.
it was never an option for them to attend a training session, and wait till it was convenient for KB (Kurtley Beale) & the Tahs.
they did it by traffic stop to make KB (Kurtley Beale) feel as isolated as possible.
they timed it so he’d have to spend a night in the boob to stew.
same with insisting he reports daily.
who really thinks he’s a chance of absconding or repeating the offence till the court date?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Feels like a massive reach here.

One could easily say based on the information we have, that this may have been the first time Kurtley's wife and 3-4 month old wasn't in the car with him.

I can't imagine conducting a road side arrest in front of one's partner and kid is a nice experience. Add in its summer and may not be in the child's welfare to be pulled over and sit in the curb for 30-60 minutes while the arrest and search is conducted.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
they got to a stage where they believed they had enough to charge him.
then they planned how they would do it.
it was never an option for them to attend a training session, and wait till it was convenient for KB (Kurtley Beale) & the Tahs.
they did it by traffic stop to make KB (Kurtley Beale) feel as isolated as possible.
they timed it so he’d have to spend a night in the boob to stew.
same with insisting he reports daily.
who really thinks he’s a chance of absconding or repeating the offence till the court date?

Police don’t have the manning resources to plan elaborate arrests like you suggest, not for a sexual assaults. That’s the kind of effort reserved for more serious crimes like homicide and high risk arrests where the investigators are allocated larger teams and more resources.

The team investigating this would have 20-30 other concurrent sexual assault investigations ongoing in addition to this one.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I misunderstood this part of it and thought the police had the technology to retrieve old phone calls. I am amazed she answered his phone call, especially if it happened after the police put a trace on him, I'm no lawyer but isn't this entrapment?
I was beginning to think we may be going the way the US wants to go, where they want to record everybody's phone conversations.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Police don’t have the manning resources to plan elaborate arrests like you suggest, not for a sexual assaults. That’s the kind of effort reserved for more serious crimes like homicide and high risk arrests where the investigators are allocated larger teams and more resources.

The team investigating this would have 20-30 other concurrent sexual assault investigations ongoing in addition to this one.
That makes sense. You would imagine he was just lucky there was none of his family in the car at that time.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I misunderstood this part of it and thought the police had the technology to retrieve old phone calls. I am amazed she answered his phone call, especially if it happened after the police put a trace on him, I'm no lawyer but isn't this entrapment?
I was beginning to think we may be going the way the US wants to go, where they want to record everybody's phone conversations.

entrapment isn’t a defence Australia.

Even in the US; entrapment is inducing someone to commit a crime, it’s not entrapment to induce someone to talk about an alleged crime they’ve already committed.

Last edited:

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Trying to defend Beale based on what's reported so far astounds me....

It's not like the cops have grabbed him on a Sunday morning after someone has fronted the station immediately after the event.

The allocation was made, the police have done an investigation into the facts and it appears he's proper fucked based on the evidence they've found :eek:

Part of his bail condition is that he can't enter an airport - fair enough to stand him down as he can't travel with the team anyway....

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
My understanding is that once they had a warrant they got her to ring him, in an attempt to get him to incriminate himself.
that’s exactly what they did with a rape accusation of a neighbour of mine some years ago.
pretty much the script was, I want to put it past me, but I need you to acknowledge that you raped me and apologise.