• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Player Ratings Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
1. Kepu - 6 Scrummed well, ran well and defended well. No real commitment at counter ruck but then this appeared to be a "tactic"
2. Moore - 6 Scrummed well and carried as well as ever (just not a dominant runner- safe only)two crooked line outs. Ruck as for Kepu
3. Alexander - 5 Scrummed well. Didn't carry that I can recall. Ruck as above.
4. Horwill - 5 lineout secure, no pressure on ABs really at this phase (which IMO is still their weakest point) scrum solid. Ran well but turned over the ball in contact a few times.
5. Simmons - 5 as for Horwill except only two carries and was safe.
6. Elsom - 3 except for the seagull try he did what his form suggested he would all year - nothing. He complained post match regarding slow ball and I have to say whose job is it to secure that ball. Missed or ineefctive at how many tackles 6 or 7. Useless.
7. Pocock - 4 penalised for what McCaw and co were doing. The only bright point for him is he was the only defender in the backrow tonight worth having there.
8. McCalman - 1 Workrate is nothing if it does nothing. Missed tackles and makes no ground at all. Ineffectual at the ruck.
9. Genia - 7 Wallabies MOM. Tried very hard and executed all his basics well. No forward runners to get over the gain line except for Horwill and Kepu.
10. Cooper 2 - Had a shocker but what can he do when the ball is slow behin a retreating pack with a, I'll be generous and say that the ABs were very fast in defence.
12. McAbe 2 - coughed up the ball, bad reads in attack and defence leaving big holes. Too deep with Cooper for his straight runs to do anything except be lined up by two or three defenders.
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 4 - Ran well when he got the ball and was safe with his hands. In better form than when he was with the Mules basically because Le Crab isn't running him into the side line. Still half breaks are not enough but again starting from way to deep.
11. Ioane - 6 broke his usual quota of tackles but I thought he was quiet in his workrate from previous games. Defensively there were some issues as well.
14. JOC (James O'Connor) - 4 His worst place kicking game I can remember. He was his usual self with ball in hand and not bad on defence. Totally closed down though.
15. Beale - 3 Turned over lots and just appears to be trying too hard.

16 Fainga'a - Not really on long enough to give a justifiable rating.
17. Cowan - Just making up the numbers not used, again.
18. Vickerman - 3 did he do anything? Did he make the "impact" others said was required from our reserves?
19. Higginbum - 5 silly penalty doing exactly what Reid did but wasn't penalised. Apart from that he had more positive involvement in the game in 15 minutes than Elsom and McCalman did in their whole games - proving the mantra that "Class is permanent yadda yadda yadda..." is just crap and form is all that matters.
20. Burgess - making up the numbers, just huge impact, much greater than Phipps.
21. A. Fainga'a - did he get a run?
22. Turner - not used.

Coaching -
1) Deans - Fail. No cohesive structure yet again. How many more times will we get served this shit sandwich. Oh thats right JON signed him for another two years. Do the honourable thing RD and resign. Failure.
2) Nucifora - what is it you do again, coach breakdown avoidance, not committing to the breakdown until the last 15 minutes? running backropwers on the wings?
3) Williams - Fail, 0, Zero, Nada, Zilch. Restart coach? What was your tactic for this game Jim. Oh thats right kick to McCaw at every re-start for 1 just 1 success to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Just woefull.
4) Blake - Fail, Defence. How much influence do you have on player positioning in the whole defensive pattern. I hope you are going to cop it for something that you have no real input in.
5) Bram Van Straaten - Place kicking. Fail. As with Burke at the Tahs a great/world best practitioner does not a mentor make. Perkins assisted and gangly second rower to international kicker, how about talking to somebody like that. JOC (James O'Connor) was totally flustered and unable to fix is technical errors.

T

TheNextBigThing

Comprehensive posts like these are probably best saved until Sunday when the disappointment is a little less fresh and we've had a chance to re-watch the game with a critical eye.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I watch with a critcial (as in critique and not the negative conotation) right from the kick off. I for one will not be sitting through that again. That was woefull. If you don't agree fine, dicuss it.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Good, but smashed at the breakdown in the first half like the rest of our forwards.

Best forward on the paddock? Don't even know what to say. A number of ABs were far better, starting with Richie.

Yeah, the Wobs tight five were okay, but the AB's backrow were better (I put Read and Kaino ahead of Richie though).

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Watch it again. Got over the Adv line, pilfers, tackled like a demon & huge workrate.

Definitely better than Thorn & Williams.

F

Fredfreduels

1. Kepu - 5
2. Moore - 7
3. Alexander - 6
4. Horwill - 4
5. Simmons - 2
6. Elsom - 3
7. Pocock - 3
8. McCalman - 2
9. Genia - 6
10. Cooper - 3
12. McCabe - 4
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - 3
11. Ioane - 7
14. JOC (James O'Connor) - 5
15. Beale - 3

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Looking forward to the stats. Horwill's was immense and effective. Carries, tackles, rucks, backing up the (very) occasional break. And he gave the halftime comment to Kafe.

Moore, Kepu, Alexander, Pocock were more workmanlike than dominant, but better than Simmons, who seemed to do a lot of non-dominant tackling but little else, Elsom, who worked hard for little impact, and McCalman.

Higginbotham seagulled up the middle of the park a couple of times. We need more seagulling of that nature. The seagulling over the advantage line.

T

TOCC

i really didnt think Vickerman made that much of an impact when he came on... Of more concern to me was the 2 lost lineouts on our own throw which seemed to happen around the same time that Dan came onto the field.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Horwill was very good and for a the reasons outlined here (btw, gave him points in player of the game thread), but to say he was the best forward on the park is over the top.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
i really didnt think Vickerman made that much of an impact when he came on... Of more concern to me was the 2 lost lineouts on our own throw which seemed to happen around the same time that Dan came onto the field.
Did you see the throws for both of them? Nowhere near anyone in gold. Of course, it might have been the calling. Vickerman hit rucks hard, got a good turnover by counter-rucking on his own over the AB ball (it can be done). Only a cameo, but was good. More game time is needed - I would prefer in SA than club, but Robbie has spoken.
Horwill was our best. Easily.

T

TOCC

Did you see the throws for both of them? Nowhere near anyone in gold. Of course, it might have been the calling. Vickerman hit rucks hard, got a good turnover by counter-rucking on his own over the AB ball (it can be done). Only a cameo, but was good. More game time is needed - I would prefer in SA than club, but Robbie has spoken.
Horwill was our best. Easily.

not from where i was sitting at the pub.. not blaming it purely on Vickerman for the two lost lineouts, im assuming he took over the calling of the lineouts since he replaced Simmons.. and it was functioning pretty well up till that point.
He did what was needed of him when he came on the field, i dont think he really dominated the rucks or deserved MOM points as some are suggesting though..
But hey, everyones entitled to there own opinion, thats just mine.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)

With Simmons off, who was calling? Horwill or Vickerman?

Status
Not open for further replies.