• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Players that punch above their weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
There seems to be a belief amongst Australian Rugby fans that bigger is always better. Rugby is full of players that punch above their weight. Number 8 is the position we get the most man love for the big player though the best number eights in the world fit into the 105-110kg catagory. Parisae, Harinordaquay, Reid to name a few and all play in sides renowned for tough forward packs.

Is our love for the big bopper a mask to cover the lack of technical proficiany in Australian Rugby's forward ranks?

Discuss.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
We have some good potential no.8's coming through now, for the first time in a while. Dennis will struggle to get time at 8 for the Tahs' competing against Palu but I think Vaea, Schatz and Mowen are all good options for the future. For now I think we can persevere with McCalman.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
The 3 you list are fast and very athletic for their size. Schatz and Dennis are probably the 2 closest.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Not just No. 8's - I was impressed by small guys like Gregan and Jason Robinson, and today by Shane Williams. James O'Connor is a little bigger than the others mentioned, but does certainly 'punch above his weight'.

P

pete88

Not just No. 8's - I was impressed by small guys like Gregan and Jason Robinson, and today by Shane Williams. James O'Connor is a little bigger than the others mentioned, but does certainly 'punch above his weight'.

I would say James O'Connor is probably the strongest player pound-for-pound I've seen.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The 3 you list are fast and very athletic for their size. Schatz and Dennis are probably the 2 closest.

That is why I believe we should be re-directing the talents of a bloke like Higgers. Rocky is another bloke who is very quick for his size.

Gill, Beau and Hodgeson are all players that punch above thir weight. Alcock and Colby Fainga'a could also be included.

Morgan Parra is a back that punches above his weight, DeJongh also is also another.

Clawhammer

Herbert Moran (7)
Looking forward to seeing Vaea next season. I hope he has been doing a Mowen in the off and bulking up.

I'm hoping he miraculously gains some pace - if he'd been a bit quicker this year a lot of those half-breaks would have been full ones.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm often impressed with the way Gio Aplon plays. I don't know if it's 'above his weight' in the sense of putting in hits or work rate etc (he is a back, after all) but a 75kg bloke playing well in international rugby in 2011 has got to be worthy of some praise.

P

pete88

Mike Tindall anyone? Not one but two fairly hawt blondes on the go?

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I like this thread, its a doozy. The whole concept of impact (an 8 carrying the ball in midfield, which is the crux of this thread) is a funny one, because in its simplest form, its just size x speed = power in the collision, always a useful trait, however probably at least as pertinent is the players timing of the run and pass, eye for a mismatch and short sharp footwork which allows players to get "through" the initial contact (not necessarily break the tackle).
The 8's ruggo mentioned excel at this. In test footy defences 15m to the side of every ruck are so formidable that sometimes i think you need more than just these skills, for example 119 kg of muscle, speed and an big black afro. just ask adam thomson or dan carter ;)
The young 8's i see that possess the most balanced combo of contact skills,timing and physical attributes (in both the tight work and in the midfield) are Schatz and Vaea hands down. both will make a case for test spots in good time.

btw Cant believe nobody said Thierry Dusautoir, not a massive man but plays with impact in the collisions in the classic bash merchant role (he's the french opensider but not truly a fetcher).
Note to ruggo: im pretty sure Kieran read and Harinorduquy are in the 112-115 kg

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I like this thread, its a doozy. The whole concept of impact (an 8 carrying the ball in midfield, which is the crux of this thread) is a funny one, because in its simplest form, its just size x speed = power in the collision, always a useful trait, however probably at least as pertinent is the players timing of the run and pass, eye for a mismatch and short sharp footwork which allows players to get "through" the initial contact (not necessarily break the tackle).
The 8's ruggo mentioned excel at this. In test footy defences 15m to the side of every ruck are so formidable that sometimes i think you need more than just these skills, for example 119 kg of muscle, speed and an big black afro. just ask adam thomson or dan carter ;)
The young 8's i see that possess the most balanced combo of contact skills,timing and physical attributes (in both the tight work and in the midfield) are Schatz and Vaea hands down. both will make a case for test spots in good time.

btw Cant believe nobody said Thierry Dusautoir, not a massive man but plays with impact in the collisions in the classic bash merchant role (he's the french opensider but not truly a fetcher).
Note to ruggo: im pretty sure Kieran read and Harinorduquy are in the 112-115 kg

You touched on it but what really impresses me and is the mark of a great backrower (or any player), is that total determination and willingness's to push for every inch, we saw it from harinorduquy last night. Seeing him dive on every bit of loose ball and push the status quo with his counter rucking at every breakdown made me respect him that much more.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
We have some good potential no.8's coming through now, for the first time in a while. Dennis will struggle to get time at 8 for the Tahs' competing against Palu but I think Vaea, Schatz and Mowen are all good options for the future. For now I think we can persevere with McCalman.

Mowen is 27 any day and IMO very unlikley to graduate to the Wallabies having not been able to crack it to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.