• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Abbott is about to get exposed as the idiot he is. That's my tip.

Abbott is many things, but he is no idiot. The guy was a Rhodes Scholar FFS. My problem with him is he is not Prime Ministerial in the slightest. This straight talking, know-where-you-stand stuff is OK for a while, but in the end cannot work for the highest office in the land. He is also prone to slip-ups at crucial times, much like on the 7.30 report recently. Yeah I want to have a beer with him, and by all accounts he is a nice guy, but I don't want him addressing the G20. I want someone who the world will listen to and respect, and not embarrass us. Thought Kevin fell just short, Julia is efficient but a political scragger, and our only truly prime ministerial politician sits on the Liberal back benches.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Absolutely. It is going to be hard for him (and the coalition) to character assassinate Gillard without appearing to be attacking women everywhere. They will only be able to attack policies which, for some reason, hard to do.

Anyway if you want a good summary of what happened over the last 24 hours go here
http://grogsgamut.blogspot.com/2010/06/on-qt-nothing-like-dull-news-day.html

Also Rudd's speech in full
http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/the-bustling-politician-who-mastered-everything-but-people-20100624-z3qu.html?autostart=1

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
At least Therese and the boys can move back to BrisVegas. Although they were probably not expecting to leave the Lodge quite so soon.

Where will Julia live? Sydney or the bush?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
It's pretty clear IMO why Abbot's saying Rudd got the raw deal: his thinking is probably "Shoot, I could've done Rudd..."

Mate, it's almost City to Surf time again. I reckon Tony would be more worried about his 14km times.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It's pretty clear IMO why Abbot's saying Rudd got the raw deal: his thinking is probably "Shoot, I could've done Rudd..."

It was his way of pointing out to the Australian people that you can't trust the Labor party for two reasons:

1. You don't know if they will keep the priminister going for whole term if the going gets tough
2. You have to be concerned that it is being run by former union powerbrokers

And of course both points are true.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I wholeheartedly agree with you Barbarian. Turnbull would be the best leader of this country. We need a leader who has been successful outside of politics, says what he thinks, is inspirational and stands somewhere in the centre.

There are a lot more interesting things about this man, but a summary from wiki:

Turnbull was General Counsel and Secretary for Australian Consolidated Press Holdings Group, the family company of Kerry Packer, from 1983 to 1985. During this time he defended Packer against the "Goanna" allegations made by the Costigan Commission. In partnership with Bruce McWilliam he established his own law firm, Turnbull McWilliam, in 1986 and in that year successfully defended Peter Wright in his battle with the British Government over his book Spycatcher. In 1987, he established an investment banking firm, Whitlam Turnbull & Co Ltd in partnership with Neville Wran (former Labor Premier of New South Wales) and the former State Bank of NSW chief executive, Nicholas Whitlam (son of Gough Whitlam, former Labor Prime Minister of Australia). Whitlam parted company with the others in 1990, and, from then until 1997, when Turnbull moved to become a managing director and later a partner of Goldman Sachs, the firm operated as Turnbull & Partners Ltd.
Turnbull was also chair of a large Australia Internet Service Provider, OzEmail (1994–99), a director of FTR Holdings Ltd (1995–2004), chair and managing director of Goldman Sachs Australia (1997–2001) and a partner with Goldman Sachs and Co (1998–2001). In the 1990s, Turnbull was chairman of Axiom Forest Resources, which conducted logging in the Solomon Islands under the trading name Silvania Forest Products. The latter's work was described by the Australian International Development Aid Bureau as a "clear-felling operation", and the then Solomon Islands Prime Minister Solomon Mamaloni reportedly threatened to close it down for "constant breaches of logging practices", according to a critical article in the Solomon Times.[13][14]
In 1999, Turnbull sold OzEmail to the then telecommunications giant MCI Worldcom. Turnbull's stake was reportedly worth nearly A$60 million; In 2005 his net worth was estimated at $133 million,[15] making him Australia's richest parliamentarian.[16] The 2009 annual BRW list of the richest Australians put Turnbull at 182 of 200, with an estimated net worth of $178 million. He is the only MP (Moana Pasifika) in Australia to make the list.[17] Malcolm Turnbull made the BRW Rich 200 list for the second year running in 2010, and although he slipped from 182 to 197, his estimated net worth increased to $186 million, continuing to be the only sitting politician to make the list.[18]

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
What d'you guys reckon about Hockey? I think he's got the goods, but not for the next election, perhaps the one after.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
1. You don't know if they will keep the priminister going for whole term if the going gets tough.

If the Liberals had of done this before the last election they might still be in power.

What d'you guys reckon about Hockey? I think he's got the goods, but not for the next election, perhaps the one after.

Definitely a leader in the future. He is quite similar to Beazley (and I don't mean weight wise).

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I thought Joe sounded pretty good, but since becoming my local member in a recent re-distribution he's done a few things to piss me off.

He never responded to my question about Labor's stance on filtering the Internet, despite having sent me a letter welcoming me to his electorate and asking what issues were important to me. But much worse than that, from his twitter posts I strongly suspect he's a closet Queensland supporter!

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
If I had to ave dinner with any current or recent party leader it would be Turnbull. But don't for a second think he was electable. People wouldn't even vote for his republic. Don't forget that your average voter is a ciomplete idiot and finds formal education and personal wealth a turn-off.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If I had to ave dinner with any current or recent party leader it would be Turnbull. But don't for a second think he was electable. People wouldn't even vote for his republic. Don't forget that your average voter is a ciomplete idiot and finds formal education and personal wealth a turn-off.

Which is why we should be removing compulsory voting.

C

chief

Do you disagree for any particular reason?

I agree with your suggested change to the system.

Oh sorry, I really should have explained.

I just think we should be able to vote for our local candidate and have a separate vote for PM. As our Local MP (Moana Pasifika) represents our area's need. While the leader represents our country's needs. That's what's wrong with the current system we are currently voting for MP (Moana Pasifika)'s who we don't actually know that much about and we are basing our vote on who the current leader is. It's not a vote for say the local ALP candidate against the local Liberal candidate, its Gillard v Abbott. Which I think is very much so a bullshit system.

2 votes, one for your local area, and one for the leader. Say if someone likes the idea of Bill Shorten being part of parliament, but they don't like the idea of Gillard being PM, they should have that choice. Yes, it does open many loop holes, but I think its a better system if they can weave out those dilemmas.

R

rugbywhisperer

The Constitution doesn't mention the word Prime Minister at all so if you want that sort of change you will need to have a referrendum to ;
a: have the position of Prime Minister entrenched into the formal framework of the Constitution and
b: to have preference vote for him/her.
I can think of at least 200 reasons why that a: isn't going to happen and b: shouldn't ever happen.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Well, you have defeated yourself with your own argument there. I really disagree with the notion that the average voter is a complete idiot, I think everyone follows politics a lot more than in other nations. Take Rudd's downfall, mainly caused by public outcry over the ETS, the mining tax, refugees amongst other stuff. It was public pressure that forced the challenge by Gillard, a grassroots movement against him and his failed policies. Another prime example is the republican debate- the main reason why it lost was a technicality, namely that the president would be elected by the parliament and not by the people. It wasnt because of Turnbull or Howard per se, rather the fine print of the vote. People were intelligent enough to realise this and smartly (in my view, anyway) voted no. Yeah there are idiots out there but voluntary voting wont fix that. There are just as many people who will blindly vote Liberal or Labor no matter what who are just as idiotic, but wont be weeded out by voluntary voting. In fact, they may dramatically increase their influence.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
QUOTE]

But they voted for Rudd whose personal wealth is in the same ball park at Turnbulls.........

I think the Libs should see if they elect Rudd as their Leader, he seems a perfect fit to me.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

He is an idiot. That is what I think. Turnbull is the only lib to show some form of intelect at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.