• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Poll : Should the Wallabies revert to the old guard in the front row?

Should the Wallabies bring back the old guard in the front row for this weekend

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Lots of debate in this thread as to the preferred makeup of the front row for this weekend. Sorting through all the various opinions, it seems to boil down to one of these options.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I said yes, but not because winning is everything but rather that I'd like to see new front rowers blooded from the bench with some old hands to steady the ship

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
Can we have a 3rd option?

: Baxter and Dunning are useless and will improve nothing

Cyril Towers (30)
So far I have proposed about 5 differing and conflicting opinions about this. Lucky I'm not coaching.
However I have felt all along that Baxter was the best THP in the Aus S14 teams and is playing better now than he ever has. Just as "if you're good enough you're old enough" the opposite "if you're good enough, you're young enough" applies. He'll still be around next year and is rarely injured. Injuries have hit the LHP side hardest taking out Fatcat/Robinson/Kepu and leaving few options. Daley will get there eventually but he is not up to it yet and should be coming off the bench (in about 2012). I'd pick Holmes on the LH side and have one of the young guns on the bench. My preference would be Weeks, but he has disappointed lately. Fairbrother is worth considering, don't remember him being dominated by anyone when he played for the Force. Incidentally the battle between him and Tilse in the Shute Shield last week was a classic. Call it a draw but great to watch.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
The thing that worries me is: Who are these young props learning from? Nobody, if you discount the props with 10 test caps between them.

Somebody like Baxter, a current player - unlike the coaches - at least needs to be in the squad to give hands on help to the young up and comers. Furthermore, he IS the best tighthead scrummaging prop in the country.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
After that execrable exhbition by Australia A, I'm thinking it wouldn't be the worst idea if we gave up rugby union altogether.

Yes it was that bad.

No, I'm not exaggerating.

D

daz

After that execrable exhbition by Australia A, I'm thinking it wouldn't be the worst idea if we gave up rugby union altogether.

Well, a few vacancies have recently opened up in the Socceroos supporter base.....

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
I voted Yes, but not for Dunning, and not because winning is everything. Like topo and Moses and Henry and Reddy I want to see Baxter in there - yes, to help develop the younger front rowers, but also because I think he's the THP to win us the upcoming world cup. Robinson, TPN, Baxter with Moore, Alexander as super subs = unbeatable. IMO.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Wow, DPK, fatprop, Henry, Moses, MrMouse, Reddy!, RugbyFuture, Scarfman, sudrugby, TOCC, topo
Seems to be a fair few of the front row aficionados in that lot, IIRC.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Surprise!
Yes, but not to Dunning. For reasons already enunciated by me elsewhere and by other on this thread.

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
I said no. I would say yes if there was a half decent loosehead available but unfortunately there isn't.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I voted Yes, but not for Dunning, and not because winning is everything. Like topo and Moses and Henry and Reddy I want to see Baxter in there - yes, to help develop the younger front rowers, but also because I think he's the THP to win us the upcoming world cup. Robinson, TPN, Baxter with Moore, Alexander as super subs = unbeatable. IMO.

Baxter is the THP to get us penalised out of the World Cup...

Alexander proved last year that he's by far our first choice THP with a better scrummaging performance in a handful of games than Baxter in his entire test career...

Having said that I'm not against Baxter being in the squad... but he can no longer start against the top sides...

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
You say that Baxter is going to get us penalised - but that is exactly happening with these younger props. It's the start of Al Baxter's career all over again.

Croks

Bob McCowan (2)
Again yes to Baxter but no to dunning. Also should look to bring in Greg Holmes at LHP as he has more experience and it is not like he is that old at 27 but he already has 13 test caps.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
icon_scratch.gif
Baxter has been the best Aus THP this season. He has been dominant against every team except the Crusaders.

That front row (and the AB front row) is the only unit I would be very concerned in starting him against because they have the technical ability to pack as low as he does. (Every other Aus scrum had the same issue) Last season he had no issues in test rugby until he came up against NZ.

He collapses and eats grass because he attempts to pack very low, but when he is successful at the hit it de-powers the opps scrum and bizarrely Baxter worked his arse off around the field as well and was the Tah's best counter-rucker all season,

Weekes didn't show enough to start last night, Ma'afu is average and folds under pressure etc etc.

But the issue is still LHP, Cowan & Daley just don't have the scrummaging skills /strength to play test rugby, neither has Dunning at LHP.

The cupboard is bare and we will get owned this week again as Deans supports the "form" props.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I said no. The scrum is about more than the props. The other 6 have to take a large part of the responsibility. I think we will see an improved performance this weekend.

If Alexander/Robinson aren't fit come Trinations time, I'd bring Baxter back but not Dunning.

Status
Not open for further replies.