• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

President's Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I am very excited about the Presidents Cup starting tomorrow. Unfortunately didn't get my act together to go down there and check it out (which I am now regretting). Anyone going to check it out live?

I should be a cracking contest, and I am interested to see how Norman picks his teams. Does he group Nationalities together (which is the most likely) or will he throw a few curve balls and try and put some with local knowledge with those that don't?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah I am heading down with my dad, bought him tickets for his birthday to Saturday and Sunday. I can't wait!!

FWIW if everything goes to plan the Americans should win again. The Internationals have a few very good players but their squad falls away pretty quickly. The US has talent right to the bottom. I just hope it stays close enough to be alive on the last day, I love watching matchplay.

I would expect to see Norman do most pairings along national lines, on the first day anyway. I would guess Els/Schwartzel, Scott/Goosen (they have a good track record together) Day/Allenby, Choi/Kim, Yang/Ishikawa, Ogilvy/Baddeley. But you never know, he could throw a few curveballs in there.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Pairings just released. Didn't go according to what both of us thought. Only one group with same country pairing in Badds and Day.

Match 1: Ernie Els and Ryo Ishikawa v Bubba Watson and Webb Simpson
Match 2: Geoff Ogilvy and Charl Schwartzel v Bill Haas and Nick Watney
Match 3: Aaron Baddely and Jason Day v Dustin Johnson and Matt Kuchar
Match 4: Robert Allenby and Retief Goosen v Phil Mickelson and Jim Furyk
Match 5: Kyung-Tae Kim and Ye Yang v Hunter Mahan and David Toms
Match 6: Adam Scott and KJ Choi v Tiger Woods and Steve Stricker

The Americans should be favourites, but it really depends on how their rookies (who are all form players over the last year) handle the different type of event. Interesting that Couples has sent out his rookies all in the first 3 groups. Seems to be a strange tactic?

Have fun down there barbar.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Match 1: Ernie Els and Ryo Ishikawa v Bubba Watson and Webb Simpson
Match 2: Geoff Ogilvy and Charl Schwartzel v Bill Haas and Nick Watney
Match 3: Aaron Baddely and Jason Day v Dustin Johnson and Matt Kuchar
Match 4: Robert Allenby and Retief Goosen v Phil Mickelson and Jim Furyk
Match 5: Kyung-Tae Kim and Ye Yang v Hunter Mahan and David Toms
Match 6: Adam Scott and KJ Choi v Tiger Woods and Steve Stricker Halved

My day 1 predictions. Will hopefully be as tight as I think it will be.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I would tip the same except Els and Ryo to get up and Scott and Choi to lose. 3 matches a piece.

Best players for each team over the tournament - Ogilvy for Aus and Woods for the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.