• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proteas v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Bailey & Harris top 2 scorers in the Sheffield atm

Neither should be anywhere near the side.

Lehmann (av 48.9) should be right at the front of the pack. Even if he's half as good as his father we would see more runs than our current 5 or 6.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Anybody still taking in the second test?

Is there some disharmony in the team. Could explain a lot if so.

Time to eject the non-performers and go for some younger players with potential out of the SS. Smith the only player with a bit of backbone as far as I can see.

I'd go along with that. I think Graeme Smith's observation was spot on, they're playing without confidence and look a shadow of even last summer. Something is not right.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
What isn't right was the appointment of Graeme Hick as Australia's batting coach. If there's ever a batsman who was a flat track bully it's Graeme, and THAT's a part of their game where this lot of Oz batsmen don't need any assistance. But, when it's a slow pitch, or seaming or taking spin, our lot are all at sea. Despite Hick's impressive career figures (41,100 first class runs at 52.23) he hasn't done anything to suggest he can help our batsmen adjust to conditions out of the ordinary.

Hick was batting coach at the Academy in Brisbane for the last few years, is promoting him to the Oz job a classic case of the Peter Principle in practice?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
One further question. What's the story with James Pattinson? Is he injured again? When fit, he is up with the best fast bowlers in the country. A three-pronged attack of Starc/Hazelwood/Pattinson would serve the Aussies very well.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
4 test series coming up in 2018
S24
Proteas v Oz Test itinerary announced

Cape Town - Cricket South Africa (CSA) on Wednesday announced the itinerary for the four-match Test series to be played between the Proteas and Australia in February/March 2018.
“Since unification in 1991, this will be the first time the two countries will compete in a four-match Test series,” commented CSA Chief Executive, Haroon Lorgat.
“This will add to the significance of the Test series and will offer us a perfect opportunity to finally win a Test series at home against the formidable Aussies.
“Test match cricket between Australia and South Africa has always produced epic battles and brought out high-class individual performances that have become part of the annals of the game.
“Australia are currently the No. 2 ranked team on the ICC Test table and we will need to beat them and India to regain our place at the top of the table.
“With this series being played straight after the tour by India our Proteas and fans can look forward to what will be one of the most challenging seasons of Test match cricket we have ever witnessed in South Africa,” concluded Lorgat.
Itinerary:
February 22-24 - 3 Day Tour Match: SA Invitational XI v Australia, Willowmoore - 10:00
March 1-5 - 1st Test: South Africa v Australia, Kingsmead - 10:00
March 9-13 - 2nd Test: South Africa v Australia, St George’s Park - 10:00
March 22-26 - 3rd Test: South Africa v Australia, Newlands - 10:00
March 30-April 3 - 4th Test: South Africa v Australia, Wanderers - 10:00

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Riley Rossouw also. The SA coach not happy at all with reason.
S24
Domingo launches scathing attack on Rossouw

Lloyd Burnard - Newlands
Cape Town - Proteas coach Russell Domingo has launched a scathing attack on Rilee Rossouw following the now former-Proteas batsman's decision to turn his back on the national side for a three-year Kolpak deal with English county club Hampshire.
Rossouw was announced alongside Kyle Abbott as Hampshire's new Kolpak signings in a move that has rocked South African cricket and placed renewed attention on the struggle to prevent players from moving abroad.
It wasn't so much Rossouw's decision as it was the way he carried himself that tipped Domingo over the edge at a fiery Newlands press conference following South Africa's 282-run triumph against Sri Lanka in the second Test.
While Abbott had addressed media following the series-clinching victory, Rossouw was obviously not present.
Domingo, usually quiet by nature, got stuck in when discussing Rossouw.
"I haven’t heard from Rilee since we left Australia, to be honest," Domingo said.
"Some of us have tried to get hold of him, and this is the truth, we got an email from him off his iPhone telling us he's signed a Kolpak deal.
"He spelled my name wrong for starters. He wrote one 'L' instead of two 'Ls'.
"That’s where we are. I am bitterly disappointed in him."
Domingo did not stop there and he highlighted how much time and patience Proteas management had invested in a player they considered to be closest to AB de Villiers, ability-wise.
"He toured Australia as the back-up Test batsman. He was the next batsman in," Domingo said.
"He’s played One-Day cricket for us and lots of T20 cricket for us.
"He’s the guy we backed after five noughts. If that was a player of colour who got five noughts, everyone would have said 'transformation'.
"But he got five noughts and we thought this was a guy who could play the closest level to AB de Villiers. He’s a guy we’ve invested in massively and I am bitterly disappointed."
Domingo was less critical of Abbott, but equally disappointed.
"I had discussions with Kyle six to eight months ago, encouraging him to hang in to stay within the system while Morkel, Steyn and Rabada were fit and for him to be patient," said Domingo.
"I thought it had subsided, and hadn’t heard the talk again until two days ago. That was also a disappointment for me that the whole thing has unfolded without us being consulted or even being allowed to pitch a sales pitch to him.
"Nobody is guaranteed to play for his country. I can’t guarantee it. Nobody has the right to play for his country. He (Abbott) has as good a chance as any other player to play for his country.
"That has been the disappointment that weren’t allowed a sales pitch ... we weren’t allowed to present anything to him before he made his decision."
Domingo said that Abbott had worked his way into the Proteas first team in all formats and that he was the guy being backed to take the new ball at the ICC Champions Trophy in June.
"He’s (Abbott) been doing it for a period of time. He’s played most of the games. We took him ahead of Dale to the West Indies," Domingo said.
"He played ahead of Morne Morkel in the West Indies. He played against Australia here when we beat them 5-0 (ODIs). He’s played in our T20 World Cup ahead of Morne Morkel, so if he hasn’t got an idea (that he was in the mix for the Champions Trophy) then I don’t know."

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
My own view is that cricket as a sport in SA is in very good health. If your structure is good at schoolboy level it will deliver for the future.

In the past cricket in SA was always a bit of a soutie sport. Not any more. Affies is SA top ranked school, Paarl Gim and Potch Volkies is ranked in the Top 20. SA Schools team have an all round flavor from all over.

SAC will obvious rethink contracts and develop not only players for SA but for other countries aswell.

S24
Proteas
Kolpak shocker forces CSA rethink

Lloyd Burnard - Newlands
Cape Town - The Cricket South Africa (CSA) heavyweights spent the last two days trying to digest the shocking news that two of their major assets - Kyle Abbott and Rilee Rossouw - are on their way to Hampshire on Kolpak deals that will effectively end their international careers.
There could be a Proteas future for the 27-year-old Rossouw, who has signed a three-year deal abroad, but it is surely curtains for Abbott on the international stage.
That is neither here nor there at this stage, though, and the immediate challenge for CSA is to ensure that this does not become a regular occurrence.
It will take many more meetings to come up with a definitive plan, but the prospect of losing a young star or two in the current set-up is surely enough to spark them into urgent action.
The challenge, of course, is finding ways to combat the lure of the Pound
Speaking in the aftermath of the bombshell that effectively made South Africa's 282-run win over Sri Lanka in the second Test at Newlands a sideshow, Proteas coach Russell Domingo and CSA president Haroon Lorgat did offer some indications of what discussions need to take place.
Contracting is key, and Domingo spoke openly about the need to review the way CSA contracts are handled.
As it stands, no CSA player contract runs for longer than two years at a time.
"We had long discussions last night and we’ve got some young players like Quinton de Kock and Kagiso Rabada who we would like to contract for 10 years or five years," Domingo said.
"That’s what the board has got to decide. Do we offer these guys two years or with young players like that do we say four or three years? Those are things that definitely need to be considered going forward."
Domingo added that players needed to think about more than just themselves when taking such decisions.
"I’ve been picking guys and they’ve known that they’re done, which sets me back and the team back massively," said Domingo.
"Because Kyle Abbott was going to take the new ball for us in the Champions Trophy, now who takes the new ball 10 ODIs before the Champions Trophy?
"Those are the types of things that players also need to be aware of … that sometimes it’s not all about them. They’ve got to be open and honest and let us know a little bit earlier."
Lorgat pointed to placing a limit on the number of Kolpak players currently playing South African domestic cricket as one urgent step that can be taken.
"We’ve got to find ways of keeping the talent within South Africa," Lorgat said.
"We will be putting a limit on the system. The board still has to deliberate, but there will be a limit on the number of Kolpak contracts within our domestic system.
"If we begin to regulate and begin to incentivise locals who have a dream of playing for the Proteas, then that’s where we want to focus.
"We cannot have places that are being used up by professionals that will not avail themselves to the Proteas. We need to keep those spots open for South Africans who want to play for the Proteas.
"The sooner we move on from those two (Abbott and Rossouw) … the better for us. We need to start focusing on new talent."
Lorgat also pointed to South Africa's new domestic T20 competition, expected to be unveiled next season, as a way of enticing players to stay in the country.
That competition, which is also expected to be extended to eight franchises, is hoping to attract major investment as South Africa seeks to find its answer to the IPL, Australian Big Bash and Caribbean Premier League.
"There are some lessons that we can take away from this particular experience. We look to our contracts to see what we can do to tighten up process, to prevent this from happening or to manage it better," Lorgat added.
"It’s pride, it’s career conversations, it's the investment that we make in them holistically … it’s not only money. Right now we have some world class stars who are not here because we pay them substantial Rands."

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Obvious not much comments about the Proteas visit to Aus. From a Protea supporters view it was good to see Dale Steyn back. With him , Radaba and Ngidi were are well serve with our quick bowlers. Add Vernon and we probable have the best.

For some reason Faf du Plessis is enjoying playing against Australia
S24
Public enemy No 1' Faf is the Aussie conqueror

2018-11-20 08:26
SHARE THIS

Cape Town - It may have seemed like a largely unimportant contest, but when the Proteas beat Australia in Saturday's shortened T20I against Australia on the Gold Coast it gave skipper Faf du Plessis a unique achievement.
The Proteas won the one-off match, which was shortened to 10 overs a side, by 21 runs to take the series 1-0.
That results made Du Plessis the first captain in international cricket to claim series victories in Australia in all three formats of the game.

Historically considered near-untouchable at home, the Aussies have now lost to Du Plessis' Proteas in their last three home series.
The Proteas emerged as 2-1 winners in the ODI series on this tour, while they won a three-match series 2-1 the last time they were in Australia to play Test cricket back in the 2016/17 season.
To add to that, Du Plessis also skippered the Proteas to a 3-1 Test series win in South Africa this year while, at the end of 2016, he guided his side to a 5-0 ODI thrashing over the Aussies, also on home soil.
It makes for a superb record as skipper against a side that has had the better of the Proteas for most of the modern era.
Du Plessis has won home and away against the Aussies in Test and ODI series for a perfect 4-0 record, but he had lost back-to-back T20I series at home against them before Saturday's match.
Considered 'public enemy number one' in Australia after the infamous 'mintgate' scandal during the 2016/17 Test series, Du Plessis has always risen to the occasion against the Aussies.
He has scored 3 Test centuries at an average of 46.73 and 4 ODI centuries at 51.57 against Australia.
"I was part of the previous generations with (Graeme) Smith and (Jacques) Kallis and I remember like it was yesterday when they spoke about the pain and embarrassment of always losing in Australia," Du Plessis told media at Cape Town International Airport on Monday.
"Since that day it has been something that has motivated me and obviously being the villain over there ... I love playing there and it does bring the best out of me.
"When there is a fight on, that brings the best out in my character. I'm trying to find that same recipe against other sides."
Du Plessis' record as skipper against Australia:
2018/19 T20I series in Australia: 1-0 winners
2018/19 ODI series in Australia: 2-1 winners
2017/18 Test series in SA: 3-1 winners
2016/17 Test series in Australia: 2-1 winners
2016/17 ODI series in SA: 5-0 winners
2015/16 T20I series in SA: 2-1 losers
2013/14 T20I series in SA: 2-0 losers
All we need is AB de Villiers to come out of retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.