• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2020

A

Aussie Luke

They could play matches where there is a gathering of no more than 10 people, and so matches at State High might be possible.

Willem Johnstone is looking like a potential star for Nudgee College this year, lots of highlight plays for the 2019 U16a season. Also making the U16 Reds Maroon team, a fantastic option for the halfback position.

Also, funny enough his father is an Ex-wallaby (Brett Johnstone) also who played as halfback. Serious potential for this bloke!

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^How are the Stingrays going these days Demon ? They had quite a coaching lineup in the late 2000’s from memory.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Off topic again, but I recently found out about Sri Lankan Schoolboy rugby.

Good stuff, impressed with the crowds, play, and coverage

Bluebag

Banned
Solid gold fairplay. Dear God, they even had a TMO! In these times makes you realise what an awesome game rugby is. Love it!

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
With term 2 coming closer, logistical questions start to form around the 2020. Club rugby is hoping to start at the very best around early July which would allow term 3 rugby to take place. How this all works is another question.

My thoughts are particularly around how schools with boarding houses operate and what effects this has on their rugby programs. I know that BBC first XV alone has more than 50% of their players staying in the boarding houses. I imagine lots of schools face the same issue.

There is also a major issue around front row passports and how that could be administered in this period. Pretty sure last season it required students to attend a certain amount of scrummaging sessions. Will this be possible in 2020?

TheRed

Allen Oxlade (6)
Feel for all the boys in year 12 this year. The whole season has to be in some doubt at this stage.

Those boys in year 12 are having one of the best years of their lives ruined at this stage!

I really hope that we can get a season of rugby in later in the year!

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Perhaps I've missed it, but RugbyPass have released 3 episodes so far from their 'doco series' on BBC's 1st XV last year. Well worth the watch, each episode is about 20 - 25 minutes.

Episode 1 -
Episode 2 -
Episode 3 -

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sadly, I think 2020 Rugby will be a write-off. Very disappointing for all the boys, Rugby co-ordinators and coaches. One wonders what "alternative" options might be available.

With term 2 coming closer, logistical questions start to form around the 2020. Club rugby is hoping to start at the very best around early July which would allow term 3 rugby to take place. How this all works is another question.

My thoughts are particularly around how schools with boarding houses operate and what effects this has on their rugby programs. I know that BBC first XV alone has more than 50% of their players staying in the boarding houses. I imagine lots of schools face the same issue.

There is also a major issue around front row passports and how that could be administered in this period. Pretty sure last season it required students to attend a certain amount of scrummaging sessions. Will this be possible in 2020?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Lets get cracking boys,looks like we will get a GPS season in after all,training starts June 1st,GPS season as per normal,
thoughts?
Assuming it does go ahead , will be interesting how the spectator side of it is managed.

There will need to be a substantial lifting of restrictions just for parents of the boys playing to be there . Little chalked X’s all 1.5m apart for the supporters to stand on.

The BBQ line for a cheeseburger at Tennyson has the potential to be longer than the pregame tunnel .

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
Round 1, July 18

Speaking with a referee mate on the weekend. With club, GPS and potentially AIC (playing a Term 3 competition) all happening at the same time, the availability of qualified refs will be a huge issue to manage. Suspect there might be some "controversial" fixture results with home ground / team refs.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
BBC might actually win something if no crowds are allowed.

I am not sure what crowds have to do with any team’s prospects. But it certainly will have zero impact on where BBC end up. There are much bigger forces in play that have already determined the inevitably of what awaits.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Lets get cracking boys,looks like we will get a GPS season in after all,training starts June 1st,GPS season as per normal,
thoughts?
Once again the first 2 rounds set up the season , in that :

~ TSS have a R1 bye before facing NC on Ross in R2
~ Churchie host NC in R1 that will be a proper test of both teams
~ BSHS host BBC in R1 where BBC have not won at Fursden Rd in their last 3 x visits ( 2018, 2016 and 2014 )
~ BBC host Churchie at home in R2 which will also be an either way result.

All of these teams figure to be contending so there will be a pretty decent dye cast in the first 2 rounds

Other notable rounds will be TSS hosting BBC in R7 and then BBC hosting NC in the last round in R9

But if TSS can win on Ross in R2 the Premiership is theirs again. Can’t see Churchie or BBC troubling them at home. They just got to sort out IGS at IGS which in the last couple of seasons has proven to be a bogie team for TSS