• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I think that's a great idea to give GC a proper Reserve Grade side. They should do that for Sunny Coast too.

Now is the time to start thinking bout bringing in a new club for 2014 into Prem Grade, give them a full year to prepare. Give them fulltime Coaches - their roles can include Rep sides and other development roles to justify a full time salary. And try and encourage what ever new recruits from outside the state that year to play from that team.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Why? It's not like Premier Grade is exploding in talent. Also it would extend the season by at least 2 weeks and would create bye's for teams. I thing consolidation is the most important thing at the moment. Wests and Souths made up some good ground this year on the field, Norths had some good results and just need some constancy while good things are happening on both coasts. GC has 1st grade so now they should be able to build some depth and the Sunny Coast has done a lot of work off the field to fix up their finances and have a bright future too.

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
I agree with Jets, why expand when you already have a lop sided competition? let’s stick with 10 teams and try and get all of those clubs financially sustainable and competitive on the field. There is always going to be some clubs better than others but the difference between top and bottom shouldnt be as large as it has been the last few years. Is anyone game to throw out an early top four prediction for Prems and Prem Colts??????

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
So there will be a 1st grade team for coast? sounds good but what about 2nd and 3rd grade and colts 1?
Doggies Pre-Season already started according to their website. Expect a big year for the dogs 2013 and the re emergence of the old powerhouse. I am not blowing smoke but from what i have heard things are looking like the best prem grade team since 07.
Anyone know where Shota Horie will be playing his club rugby next year?

He signed with the rebels full time so I doubt he'll play much club rugby.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I see Ezra Taylor is back in town, any chance he will be making a few appearances in prem grade?

Also interested to see what club Ben Meehan heads to next season.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Brothers will need to find a Flyhalf and add a little size to their forward pack if they want to mix it in the top 2 this year otherwise they will be around the 4th and 5th position.

The Bank i predict similar situation, will be midtable but come home strong.

Easts will always be contenders but i can never see them winning through there over reliance on Matt Brandon, they just need a another leader who can control the game to step up (Hopefully for Qld its UJ but i doubt it)

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Really i thought he was reds wider training program? I wonder who took his spot then in the reds college.

Who is Ezra Taylor's club affiliation
Played a Uni when he was here last. Not sure they will be throwing around the same amount of cash as they did back then no though.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
As much as it puts a sour taste in my mouth to say i think university is evolving past the need of having to buy outside players, they put so much money into their succesful colts program and nowall they need to focus on is retaining those lads. But for some reason they still feel the need to recruit. I guess the shame of the mid 2000s is still fresh in their minds.

I asked the taylor question as someone said that they saw a few new Big islander lads at wests training the other day and Mooney coached him at the Reds so I can only speculate.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
If he's playing it would be great to see him run out for Wests. He's recovering from a knee recon IIRC.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Yeh he is according to the net but it occured beginning of the year from what i can find? so might be good for next year.

But if thats true and west snap up O'Donughue thats a formidable looking pack if they can reatin last years players with Dan Linde, Ed O'Donughue, Setu, Talyor and the prop that played City Country

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
1.Easts
2. Uni
3. Sunnybank
4. Brothers
Shooosh don't talk us up, it leaves us open to barbs when we end up dropping out of the finals in the last round.
Obviously University and Sunnybank are going to be early favourites, they have the right depth untill their rep players are available. Easts has the talent, but needs to ensure there is nowhere near as many injuries as the past two seasons. I think the filth may not be at the same level as they have been lately. Without Dallan Murphy it leaves them with a massive hole, as shown when he got injured this year.

Wests are my darkhorse, as you guys have eluded too, they look like picking up a few good rep players, plus set up a strong foundation this season. I think they'll contest for the 4th spot with GPS and Brothers.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Will be very tight. I actually rate the possible gps team higher than the possible bank and par with the uni team during rep season.

GPS have Jono Owen in and have JP Smith kicking around with Phil Kite and Straker which is very decent front row stocks.

Couple this with tall strong locks in Carpenter, Toolis and Gorman and a powerful backrow in Samo (who i think they will see alot of) & Havelu.

with a Sprinkle of power in the backlien with Malou,Blain,Lalagavesi, Fou and Smith and your looking at a pretty strong team.

I predict a stronger closer comp accross the board, I dont think we will see to many 50 point floggings untill end of the rep season (then all bets are off)

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't think you'll see a lot of Samo honestly.

If Robbie Deans continues to be the coach of this wallaby outfit then he will be unavailable due to rep duty.

As for Samo in the Reds plan. Higginbotham was a massive blow. Anyone who thinks Butler or Quirk can step into the lineouts and fill the void that Higginbotham gave then your in for a shock.

the regime of Link/Graham is going to need to produce results. where as 2012 was a season where they rested Samo, I believe they will milk his skillsets and play him into the ground in 2013. He really is the best lineout option for the reds behind the names of Horwill/Simmons

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Ezra Taylor tweeted yesterday that he had just had surgery. Guess he may not be playing for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.