• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I had a horrible thought that Easts could go back to back next year, a very strong team across the board.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I can see Brothers coming back into the picture big time in the next few years. That gives them very good coaches in both Prem Grade and Colts, both of whom have their fingers in lots of pies in terms of upcoming talent ie Terrace 1stXV, Grammar Rugby (I believe Matho still coaches there but maybe not anymore) and Junior Gold program.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It's ridiculous that I don't even though what's happening at Brothers, so who got the Premier Grade coaching job?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Anthony Matherson is the Premier Coach, Matty Kaye is GM from my understanding.

Also noises coming from down south that the season will end in July for a national comp. Looks like we'll kick off at the start of March.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Anthony Matherson is the Premier Coach, Matty Kaye is GM from my understanding.

Also noises coming from down south that the season will end in July for a national comp. Looks like we'll kick off at the start of March.

Carl Marshall (current QLD Schoolboys Coach & former Brothers Prem Grade Assistant) is again the assistant & will look after the backs. I believe Carl has also been offered a role with the Aust u20's.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Was at a breakfast this morning and was told again that the season will be starting in March with a July finish.

This national comp is going to happen. Was told that there will be 3 Brisbane teams involved.

Don't worry Tiger Tale the Aust Club Champ match is still going ahead from all reports. Tigers down for the bye that weekend.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Is it club teams featuring in a national comp (invitational) ???

Or is tornados/Aces style comp which doesn't alienate fanbases?

If it's the first one invitational which will ruin club rugby simply by the rich getting richer and the battlers getting battlier... Then I'm ready to hang up my hardcore rugby fandom & look to pursue other sporting interests that I am keen on because as a dog supporter if I have to cheer on a Uni or Sunnybank team then you can bet your bottom dollar that I am.... Gonna be pissed

Actually think I'll just root for the team from Melbourne to play upset specials. Actually a March to July window works well... Maybe I can go to splendour in the grass for my first time ever!!!!!

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Franchise teams would have to be the way to go... surely??

Fair enough, my beloved Norths might struggle to get a player or two in on recent form, BUT at least we will know who to support AND it is then a goal/target for players who want to play the next level... a bit of exposure which could lead to bigger things - Reds, ITM Cup, Overseas etc.

At the moment, there isnt really anything except Reds, and for some boys, that target is just a bit too far off so it doesnt become a goal.... whereas a Franchise team would.

North, Central, South?? 3 Prem clubs in each Franchise? Or is it just the 8 Brisbane clubs and Gold Coast are either left out or included as their own?

So many questions!! ;)

Waradog

Stan Wickham (3)
With all this discussion on whether we are looking at a franchise based system for the national comp why has no-one raised the idea of a player quota to keep the Premier comp relatively balanced? For example, if we have 4 sides merged for a team limit each club side to maybe 9-10 players, I am assuming a squad of 35-40 players. If a Premier club is packed with players they may look to move to another club to get a chance to play in the national comp and we have a psuedo draft in place without a lot of the uproar.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I do think the national comp would benefit from the franchise teams ala tornadoes and aces but I can't see the ARU backing something that was so financially unsuccessful when they tried it a few years back, especially considering the situation they are in now they can't really afford to lose more money.

I think there will be some type of 'buy-in' for clubs whom wish to be involved and that will be part of their pitch. Yes, it will alienate certain clubs as I've said in an earlier post and that is a significant downfall of this competition, if they so choose to have it and do it that way.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
With all this discussion on whether we are looking at a franchise based system for the national comp why has no-one raised the idea of a player quota to keep the Premier comp relatively balanced? For example, if we have 4 sides merged for a team limit each club side to maybe 9-10 players, I am assuming a squad of 35-40 players. If a Premier club is packed with players they may look to move to another club to get a chance to play in the national comp and we have a psuedo draft in place without a lot of the uproar.

You want the best players playing. With team caps you will reward players that aren't at the top level with a spot purely because of what club they play for and worse you stop players from getting an opportunity because they play at strong club (that have probably had a lot to do with their development).

Would hate to see Michael Gunn, Reddy or Jonah Placid miss out on a chance at next tier because Easts have so many deserving players.

It will also lead to contempt for your club. Players regularly moving for an "easier" path. Leads to no culture or connection with the rest of the club and selfish play to get noticed individually rather than win for the team. No culture or connection leads to no sponsorship, volunteers, board members ect in the future (old boys/girls and young parents are what drive club rugby in Bris).

Its a hard question to answer but I would love to see a mixture. The grand finalists go through and one or two selected sides for the rest. All clubs get a look in that way and good performances both team and individual will be rewarded.

Things like money and facilities will obviously be limiting factors.

Waradog

Stan Wickham (3)
You want the best players playing. With team caps you will reward players that aren't at the top level with a spot purely because of what club they play for and worse you stop players from getting an opportunity because they play at strong club (that have probably had a lot to do with their development).

Would hate to see Michael Gunn, Reddy or Jonah Placid miss out on a chance at next tier because Easts have so many deserving players.

It will also lead to contempt for your club. Players regularly moving for an "easier" path. Leads to no culture or connection with the rest of the club and selfish play to get noticed individually rather than win for the team. No culture or connection leads to no sponsorship, volunteers, board members ect in the future (old boys/girls and young parents are what drive club rugby in Bris).

Its a hard question to answer but I would love to see a mixture. The grand finalists go through and one or two selected sides for the rest. All clubs get a look in that way and good performances both team and individual will be rewarded.

Things like money and facilities will obviously be limiting factors.

I would like the cap to have some flexibilty but in the long term I see this more as a way of influencing those players with no, or limited, club experience making a decision at the late teen / Colts age about where to go rather than the "recruitment" policies we are currently seeing for elite level school representative players.

Maybe the Reds could help out by pushing any of their new international or interstate players to clubs that are not full of the best players. I don't know how the Kiwi's do it but apart from Canterbury they don't appear to have this issue at 3rd tier level; and Canterbury could just be exceptional at what they do on the training paddock!

Spreading the talent around is a long term and holistic approach to player and club development and might shrink the gap between the have's and the have-not's.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I would like the cap to have some flexibilty but in the long term I see this more as a way of influencing those players with no, or limited, club experience making a decision at the late teen / Colts age about where to go rather than the "recruitment" policies we are currently seeing for elite level school representative players.

Maybe the Reds could help out by pushing any of their new international or interstate players to clubs that are not full of the best players. I don't know how the Kiwi's do it but apart from Canterbury they don't appear to have this issue at 3rd tier level; and Canterbury could just be exceptional at what they do on the training paddock!

Spreading the talent around is a long term and holistic approach to player and club development and might shrink the gap between the have's and the have-not's.

The only teams who weren't really competitive this year where the coasts and to a lesser extent Norths (2 of which have big plans for a turn around and the other has jumped ship). I would say the talent is spread pretty well at the moment. This obviously changes from year to year.

I also hate how people think just because you are schoolboy star you are going on to do big things. Tevita Kuridrani, Ian Prior and Con Foley are just a few that where nothing at school but have used their club to make a pretty good go of it. With a quota system they could have missed out because they chose to play footy at uni.

Waradog

Stan Wickham (3)
The only teams who weren't really competitive this year where the coasts and to a lesser extent Norths (2 of which have big plans for a turn around and the other has jumped ship). I would say the talent is spread pretty well at the moment. This obviously changes from year to year.

I also hate how people think just because you are schoolboy star you are going on to do big things. Tevita Kuridrani, Ian Prior and Con Foley are just a few that where nothing at school but have used their club to make a pretty good go of it. With a quota system they could have missed out because they chose to play footy at uni.

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/Reds/FutureReds/Profile/tabid/1178/playerid/13/Default.aspx

Tevita went to Uni after having already played for Fiji U20's so I don't think Uni should be claiming too much credit!

Status
Not open for further replies.