• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
That's interesting a couple of years ago when I was involved in Club Administration we applied to the QRU to play Premier Grade with a later kickoff and were told uncategorically that we could not. All Premier Grade games were to kick off at the same time. Looks like someone has had a change of thinking.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
am pretty sure there were variable times last year as well. Brothers played Easts at a later time, and I'm sure there were others as well.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Would be nice if the Reds did release a few players to Premier rugby.
I would imagine Goromaru would be champing at the bit to have a run for Bond - if someone could direct him to the ground first.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Bros V Bank this weekend. What chance Greene v McIntyre ? Probably none ! Greene needs game time and I reckon McIntyre would benefit from some game freedom. Kick off 5.30pm. Should be a great arvo of club footy.

Stumpy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Brothers & Easts last year was only pushed back because of ANZAC Day, where no team could play before midday. On recollection, that was the same for all clubs.

The Breth & Bank should be good viewing.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Good on Sef, exactly what I wanted hear!! reaffirms my belief in the game here!! Sef may just start one or two other reconsidering their loyalities!!

Had a chickle re Sef. Loyalty, Loyalty he says.

Been to a few clubs has young Sef and his dad

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep Scrubber, there has, and I prepared to bet none of them would of had Sef, if A: Logan had been a Prem club, and B: Under 14s or 15s whatever grade it was played comp on saturday and not sunday!! I never hold it against any player moving clubs to further his career, he certainly was never going to make it into Reds from Logan, and while not always agreeing with his Dad, I never doubted he what club he supported , he was at the club often , and I don't choose to comment on people's religious beliefs!

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
The reasons Sef has moved clubs are not a mystery:
  • He left Logan because he wanted (and his Dad wanted him) to play Premier Grade so he could get the attention of the Reds which he couldn't do at Logan - moved to Breakers;
  • Left Breakers because they were a basket case and a number of guys he was playing with for QLD Samoa were already playing at Wests. Phil Mooney also convinced him (and his Dad) he would get a shot at playing Premier Grade in 2012 at a very young age which would help get the Reds attention. Had a good season and started to get noticed;
  • Left Wests after 2013 season because he didn't enjoy the year he had under the coach that took over after Mooney. Had an average season but finished the season with them - didn't leave early like some others did;
  • He (and his Dad) spoke to Sunnybank, GPS and Uni re 2014 season - he chose Uni because his forwards coach from 2012 at Wests under Mooney had gone back there and they were one of the teams likely to play finals footy in 2014 which would get the attention of the Reds;
  • His Samoan mates from Wests followed him to Uni (because he was now the top guy);
  • Earned a full Reds contract in 2015;
  • He's going to go back to Logan when they enter Premier Grade. His Samoan mates will probably follow him there from Uni as well.
What's wrong with chasing your dream and/or what's wrong with his Dad having a dream for his son?

Every move he's made was to get the attention of the Reds - now he no longer needs to do that he's going to go back to his junior club.

If you're a good rugby player it's no longer about just playing with your mates or for one club - it's about grabbing every opportunity to make it into a career and he has done that.

Good on him and his Dad for having a goal and reaching it!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Cheers Jamie, there is always more to club movements than most people know, and I can assure you most at Logan knew and agreed with Sef (and his Dad) for leaving the club and his reasons. The unfortunate reality for Logan has always been that all real quality players have generally moved to other clubs to take their opportunities, or to see how far they can go. In my 20 years at club have never heard any of the proper club people ever considered it disloyal or anything of that nature, and most are hoping by making Prems it will give the chance for them to do it from home!!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I never have a problem with a player moving to further his career. But say that and don't push the "loyalty" card. That was my only issue.

It is a shame that players have to move clubs to get noticed by the Cordingly's of this world. If a lad is good he should be an absolute standout in a shit team and should be recognised for that.

Suppose that is just life in Brisbane rugby, probably everywhere.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep Scrubber, I know it unfortunate but it a fact of life everywhere, you can't really judge how good a player is until you see how he goes against the better players, pretty sure it not just Brisbane rugby where this happens.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Not sure how long Sef is signed for at the Reds.

He has had some pretty good scrummaging games (still a bit average around the park) this year and seems to be a man with plenty of potential.

I wonder how long he will stay at the Reds when some reasonable offers arise - which will surely come. Patience will not be one of his virtues (understandably)

Think Sef is 25 shortly - he will want to be a starter in Super 15 but will have a long wait behind Slipper. He will go and that is fucking unfortunate for the Reds.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Regardless of Sef "Loyalties" to a particular premier club. His pathway to professional rugby contract is something unheard of. A state schooler getting a rugby contract. That's blasphemy!!!

Everyone knows the Rah Rah Crowd is basically a network of private school old boys from the top end of town. This game isn't embraced by the battlers or bogans the way AFL, Soccer or Rugby League is.

Sure Sef has bounced around a few clubs but nothing other then "hard work" & "determination" has paid his rewards for being a Reds player amongst a herd of Old GPS School rugby types.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Regardless of Sef "Loyalties" to a particular premier club. His pathway to professional rugby contract is something unheard of. A state schooler getting a rugby contract. That's blasphemy!!!

Everyone knows the Rah Rah Crowd is basically a network of private school old boys from the top end of town. This game isn't embraced by the battlers or bogans the way AFL, Soccer or Rugby League is.

Sure Sef has bounced around a few clubs but nothing other then "hard work" & "determination" has paid his rewards for being a Reds player amongst a herd of Old GPS School rugby types.

Absolutely correct.

You must be a BBC Old Boy :):):)

Dyson

Peter Burge (5)
These are some of the guys that are playing perms that live or played at Logan.
1- sef faagase. Uni
2- maile nguamo. Souths
3- jake newell. Wests
4-
5- junior tipasa. Wests
6- chanel schmidt. Wests
7- chaz mahina. Sunnybank
8-
9-
10- luke everson. Souths
11-joel faulkner. Easts
12-
13- ralph evalu. Souths
14-
15-

There must be a few more help fill in the gaps if u can.

T

TOCC

Logan is an AMAZING catchment area for rugby and rugby league talent. From a rugby perspective it's almost completely untapped. Them getting a team in QPR is long overdue and in 7-10 years I think we'll all be thanking our stars it happened

Yep, it's a smart move and I only hope the QRU provides them the support and resources to step up to the next level. They've got quality playing facilities and a terrific catchment area.

It would be good if they could get someone like Griffith Uni on board as a partner, Griffith has a big Logan campus and Logan sits right in the centre of its Mt Gravatt and Gold Coast campus. Catchment wise they cover the same ground, not sure Griffith has the appetite for that sort of thing though.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
These are some of the guys that are playing perms that live or played at Logan.
1- sef faagase. Uni
2- maile nguamo. Souths
3- jake newell. Wests
4-
5- junior tipasa. Wests
6- chanel schmidt. Wests
7- chaz mahina. Sunnybank
8-
9-
10- luke everson. Souths
11-joel faulkner. Easts
12-
13- ralph evalu. Souths
14- Johnny Wilder, Easts
15-

There must be a few more help fill in the gaps if u can.
Have added Johnny Wilder,is he playing this year, I haven't asked his Dad. but I think a couple of others have just made Prems at Wests, lol can I get real cheeky and add a couple of overseas players in Quade Cooper and Codie Taylor (All Black reserve hooker) ok ok just taking the p***, they both have played at club, Taylor only as a 5-6 year old and Quade when he first came to Aus at about 14.
Forgot about Ralph Evalu, by geez his Dad was a bloody good player, had a great rugby brain on him, even if he did play at Logan at end of playing days he sure showed his class!!
Interesting to see where the players have spread to, no one saying they all would of stayed at Logan if we were in Prems, or if bugger all of them would come back, but good to see they will have chance!

Status
Not open for further replies.