• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Get what you’re saying Sage in terms of these young guns just waltzing right into the Reds but seriously these guys will only get stronger. McReight and Wilson are destined for greatness. The Reds have IMO signed the right players at the right time with the proof showing yesterday. The positive energy around these contracted Reds players is the best I have seen in years. The old recruits are welcoming these young guns. Like or hate Thorny, positive change is here. The results will come in 2020.

Yeah hopefully they are only going to get better and stronger. I'd prefer the wait. Bit of a difference between u20's/prem's and playing a rev'ed up kiwi team week in and week out or a massive springbok smashing you. Patience.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Just had another watch of the game and thought Reuben Wall and Josh Flook both had games beyond their experience. Reuben was under pressure all day, partly due poor protection by the forwards and partly due to Jeeps laying in the ruck a fair bit. Must of been several times when he had to step over a Jeeps player to pass. Old Heads v Young Heads; old heads "do it until you are penalised (took until the 57th minute for that); young heads => not talking to the ref and the captain not asking the ref to watch the situation. Both the Jeeps 5 & 8 were fairly frequent contributors here.

He also had some problems with serving from the line-outs. Jeeps were not leaving the gap and "crapping" the Brothers throw, which provided opportunities to scrag him fairly often. The line-outs by Jeeps in general looked fairly disorganised and were lucky with a few throws. In the second half you could see Brothers taking a further half step away from Jeeps. One for the memory bank.
Reuben had his best game. I have watched Josh Flook for a number of years with enthusiasm. Coaches have overlooked him because of size and finally Rob sees his potential and all rounded skill set.

Reactions: vac

Turtle

Bob McCowan (2)
Think Lynagh, Knox, Slack...Wallabies have only ever done well with players who's heads can think faster than the All Blacks. We will never beat them with hit up merchants like Kerevi and Kuridrani. Need ball players all over the park. Brothers No. 12 in Brisbane can play...

J

JeepsTragic

Anyone know when the Reds website is going to be functional? I found the Uni v Easts game on You Tube after a bit of playing around but not sure how m 80 yr old dad is going to find the GPS v Uni game without the Reds site making it easy for him.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone know when the Reds website is going to be functional? I found the Uni v Easts game on You Tube after a bit of playing around but not sure how m 80 yr old dad is going to find the GPS v Uni game without the Reds site making it easy for him.

they were hacked last weekend. Follow them on facebook or the youtube channel for the feed.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Think Lynagh, Knox, Slack.Wallabies have only ever done well with players who's heads can think faster than the All Blacks. We will never beat them with hit up merchants like Kerevi and Kuridrani. Need ball players all over the park. Brothers No. 12 in Brisbane can play.
No offence to Patrick as he’s a solid Prems player, but I think Kerevi and Kuridrani have him covered.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Great program. Good article on Bernie Nickel, as with most young kiwis, they see the light and migrate to God's Own Country. We welcome our kiwi brothers and sisters who aspire to become Queenlanders.

Uni will be a different beast with Tate running the show, (to be fair he should be in Perth) but I think the mighty gallopers should have enough fire power both up front and out wide to win convincingly.

Anyone know if Scott Young is injured he's not on the team sheet.

Should be a cracker, C'MON JEEPS!

B

Bobby Sands

JEEEP! What happened.

Can't wait for the final.

Wish Liam Wright played for Uni so it was an incumbents vs new breed back row battle for the right to play for the Reds.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
GPS looked great for first 10mins, I was worried after that. Both sides turning down penalty shots really baffled me. GPS in particular stuffed themselves by opting for the line too many times early on. Maile was missed big time.

What’s the uncontested scrum ruling? GPS had to drop a player due to uncontested scrums? Is that just a Premier rugby rule and not lower grades?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
GPS looked great for first 10mins, I was worried after that. Both sides turning down penalty shots really baffled me. GPS in particular stuffed themselves by opting for the line too many times early on. Maile was missed big time.

What’s the uncontested scrum ruling? GPS had to drop a player due to uncontested scrums? Is that just a Premier rugby rule and not lower grades?

good question. I was confused about what was happening. Hadn't seen that before.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'd be very surprised if GPS don't experience a Premiership hangover.

Maybe hangover is the wrong description but to win a premiership in any sport/grade requires a lot of things to go right - recruitment, retention, injury etc and it's unusual to get that run for you two years in a row.

Mind you Brothers had a great run through the 80's, St George RL 11 straight, Brisbane Lions (3), and the Broncos were the last NRL club to go back to back ('92-'93).

I don't want to say I told you so but back on 23/11/18 I posted this and was told that GPS had the supreme depth to go back to back.

40 years on and we get a replay of the very historic 1979 GFs between Bros & Uni.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't want to say I told you so but back on 23/11/18 I posted this and was told that GPS had the supreme depth to go back to back.

40 years on and we get a replay of the very historic 1979 GFs between Bros & Uni.

Let’s not play revisionist history bulldog.

Throwing out selective predictions which came true... don’t let me dig up your posts which stated UQ were no chance of making he top 4.

You wrote them off, I did not... I’d say UQ are a good chance this Sunday!

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Thought McDermott played himself to a trip to World Cup yesterday.

Our national coach is a mug. As good as Nic White was on weekend, McDermott was leaps and bounds better (yes I say that with a straight face that whilst the ABs are no match for GPS)

It’s maddening to me they bring back someone like Nic White and do not reward the best halfback in super rugby.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Thought Tate was the difference yesterday.

With all the possession, scrum dominance and favouring wind , Jeeps should have been up by plenty at half time. Tate’s energy in both attack and defence kept UQ in it when it should have been one way traffic. Was at the game with a couple of mates who are rusted on GPS supporters and they even were pessimistic about their chances after not leading by more at half time.

Status
Not open for further replies.