• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Funny! When are the Reds players going to start featuring? So far only Korzyck and Maloula seem to have.

they normally have two weeks break, but a bunch of them would be with the Wallabies.

I reckon you'll start seeing them this week.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
GPS backline has been mixed around a fair bit this season, I think having Hergarty and Kuridrani back is going to really help them get some stability. JP and Ruan also great for what is already arguably the strongest scrum in the comp.

Will be interesting to see what Elwee does with the reserves. The GPS 2nd grade team sitting dangerously in 4th spot on the ladder, they could definitely use some depth filtering down, but I've heard his preference has been to take a fresh bench.

J

JeepsTragic

Pretty disappointing for Wests that Joe Cotton is leaving before the season ends. I dont know what he is going to get out of Southern Districts as opposed to the Bulldogs.
Will he learn more or get harder competition then he did last weekend?
Wests have a shot at the finals and they showed last weekend (and against the filth) that they have the bottle to push the best teams. Losing Joe Cotton is not going to help.

I don't blame him but where is the loyalty in Rugby?
The Toolis brothers left jeeps one round out from the finals in 2013. Had they stayed, well who knows. Some of these professional clubs need to give something back to the club system and allow these guys to finish the season. Wests have put in developing him and RA allows NSW Rugby to give them a smack in the mush as a reward. Who are NSW playing next week?

RA should be protecting the integrity of the game and telling NSW that Joe should finish is season with Wests. Focus on the values of the game instead of seeking virtue.

J

JeepsTragic

GPS backline has been mixed around a fair bit this season, I think having Hergarty and Kuridrani back is going to really help them get some stability. JP and Ruan also great for what is already arguably the strongest scrum in the comp.

Will be interesting to see what Elwee does with the reserves. The GPS 2nd grade team sitting dangerously in 4th spot on the ladder, they could definitely use some depth filtering down, but I've heard his preference has been to take a fresh bench.

He has only nice problems in his forward selections, but the backline is a worry. After losing Jay Thompson there has not been a lot of spark in the jeeps backline so Hegarty will be a sight for sore eyes. Kuiridrani just gives us the pace we have been missing. Will Hegarty play 5/8 or Fullback?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pretty disappointing for Wests that Joe Cotton is leaving before the season ends. I dont know what he is going to get out of Southern Districts as opposed to the Bulldogs.
Wests have a shot at the finals and they showed last weekend (and against the filth) that they have the bottle to push the best teams. Losing Joe Cotton is not going to help.

The Toolis brothers left jeeps one round out from the finals in 2013. Had they stayed, well who knows. Some of these professional clubs need to give something back to the club system and allow these guys to finish the season. Wests have put in developing him and RA allows NSW Rugby to give them a smack in the mush as a reward. Who are NSW playing next week?

RA should be protecting the integrity of the game and telling NSW that Joe should finish is season with Wests. Focus on the values of the game instead of seeking virtue.

Cotton going to Southern Districts in Sydney? Is it Tah contract related?

steveadams12

Frank Nicholson (4)

I think he is going to SD on a Waratahs contract, so it’s not really a question of loyalty if it’s to do with Contract. Only people to blame are the Reds for not giving him reason to stay

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I know it’s almost a knee jerk reaction to blame the Reds for everything but that’s a dumb statement.

They can’t sign everyone.

They’ve got Mafi, BPA and Ma’afu on pro contracts. They’ve got Farrell on a development and I think they have Van Nek. So who knows what they were able to offer him. Clearly the tahs were able to offer him something more substantial.

My issue is with the tahs who have taken him away from his club in their vital run in to the finals and then parachuted him into another club where he will take the place of someone who has been there all season. That shows a total disregard for grassroots rugby. The tahs have no games and shouldn’t start preseason training for 2020 until November. That’s why contracts start then. RUPA should be taking notice too but they are focused too much on the player and not the game as a whole.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Spot on Reg - was about to comment the same thing.

I'm guessing this is the same program that moved Seb Wielman from Brothers back down to Sydney a few weeks ago. Seems a bit elitist to me, Sydney Super Rugby team ordering their new recruits to come and play in the Shute Shield compm, obviously holding the QLD comp in lower regard.

On the flip side, and I know a bit different, but Maile Ngaumo got signed to that emergency Brumbies contract for about a month as injury cover and I reckon he only missed one or at the most two GPS games, when the Brumbies probably had more right to keep him with their team whilst the Super Rugby season was still on. Different mindsets of the two state governing bodies perhaps.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Ladies and gentlemen, prepare for Queensland premier rugby to have a bit of a cull as other provinces sign up our talent in a post World Cup exodus.

It’s always the other provinces pillaging Queensland Talent.

When is the last time the reds went out and signed a kid from another province that was under the age of 20?

I do not know BPA age but I’d take a wild guess and say he is roughly 25... would of it been Sam Lane? The flyhalf that was up here a few years back?

As crap as our Queensland reds maybe we are the epicentre of football talent in both union and I reckon league as well.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Ladies and gentlemen, prepare for Queensland premier rugby to have a bit of a cull as other provinces sign up our talent in a post World Cup exodus.

When is the last time the reds went out and signed a kid from another province that was under the age of 20?

I do not know BPA age but I’d take a wild guess and say he is roughly 25. would of it been Sam Lane? The flyhalf that was up here a few years back?

As crap as our Queensland reds maybe we are the epicentre of football talent in both union and I reckon league as well.

Lukhan SL (then Tui) signed from Randwick after playing for Aus U20's in Italy.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I do not know BPA age but I’d take a wild guess and say he is roughly 25. would of it been Sam Lane? The flyhalf that was up here a few years back?

yeah, Lukhan Tui (as he was at the time) and Taniela Tupou. Jack Hardy too I guess.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Ok... so maybe I didn’t do my homework before my hottake.

Still feels like Queensland rugby bleeds way more talent going elsewhere then we do bringing in talent.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Ok. so maybe I didn’t do my homework before my hottake.

Still feels like Queensland rugby bleeds way more talent going elsewhere then we do bringing in talent.

You're probably right but that's likely because we can't offer them all contracts and other teams are actively looking at our talent to bolster their sides and as we've seen in recent years with the Brumbies and players like Banks and Muirhead, if a player is offered a shot at being in the main squad rather than WTS then why wouldn't they take it. Sometimes the decisions on who to offer contracts to don't look so smart in hindsight and other times look like genius. I can only imagine how difficult it would be a times but it would be interesting to know the analysis that goes into it. The article today on the main GGR page about school coaches and their analysis of players was quite enlightening.

Brisbane Boys

Peter Burge (5)
Ok. so maybe I didn’t do my homework before my hottake.

While I agree that we usually let the ones go that we should be getting to stay I think it was put best by Ewen Mackenzie. We have to accept that we are a net exporter of talent. IMHO we should accept that and focus on producing the best that we can and retaining the best of those.

Getting rid of some of the nepotism would be a start.

J

JeepsTragic

Spot on Reg - was about to comment the same thing.

I'm guessing this is the same program that moved Seb Wielman from Brothers back down to Sydney a few weeks ago. Seems a bit elitist to me, Sydney Super Rugby team ordering their new recruits to come and play in the Shute Shield compm, obviously holding the QLD comp in lower regard.

On the flip side, and I know a bit different, but Maile Ngaumo got signed to that emergency Brumbies contract for about a month as injury cover and I reckon he only missed one or at the most two GPS games, when the Brumbies probably had more right to keep him with their team whilst the Super Rugby season was still on. Different mindsets of the two state governing bodies perhaps.

Makes you wonder why Ryan Freeney never got a contract. Even a temporary one. If I had the choice this year of having Freeney or Ngaumo in the Jeeps front row, it would be Freeney, I think most guys playing against Jepps would prefer Ngauma.

J

JeepsTragic

Makes you wonder why Ryan Freeney never got a contract. Even a temporary one. If I had the choice this year of having Freeney or Ngaumo in the Jeeps front row, it would be Freeney, I think most guys playing against Jepps would prefer Ngauma.

And sorry its nothing against Ngauma. he is obviously a good player but the Jeeps scrum doesn't seem to have the same steel in it that it had last year.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I would think very slim chance he plays any club rugby. Also I'm not sure whether he would be granted dispensation to play in the Finals.

Yeah similar to Hegarty few years back who suddenly turned up to GPS Rugby thinking he could play finals after a full season of Rebels rugby.

Personally I don’t like that rule. If you have roots with a Brisbane club and return to QLD either uncontracted or freshly signed with Reds then I think you should be able to walk straight into the playoffs... that’s just my preference! #growthegame

Status
Not open for further replies.