• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

6 Million

Frank Row (1)
So Prinsloo shown the door after guiding the gallopers to a top 4 finish. Weird, but ok!

So Prinsloo shown the door after guiding the gallopers to a top 4 finish. Weird, but ok!

They also got rid of the premiership winning coach a couple of years ago..... hope they get a better result of this shemozzle than they got with that and the "Ashgrove Redevelopment". Maybe time for a change at the top?

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
They also got rid of the premiership winning coach a couple of years ago... hope they get a better result of this shemozzle than they got with that and the "Ashgrove Redevelopment". Maybe time for a change at the top?

I'm pretty sure Mathison left on his own accord.. And if I'm reading between the lines it looks like Prinsloo was let go from his Director of Rugby role more than anything. They replaced that role first (Steve Meehan) then brought in the 1st Grade coach (Shane Arnold). Has there been a 1st Grade coach who is also the Director of Rugby (effectively their own boss) and it ever work long term at club level? Seems like a conflict of interest to me.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Yeh Matho had a lot of balls in the air at the time and left on his own accord. I believe he actually stepped back from Club coaching after that GF win and now is at Brothers after some downtime.

As I've mentioned before in my opinion GPS had become fairly predicable these last couple of years. Use their forwards to get dominance and hopefully roll over the top of teams, fairly lackluster backline play. In 2020 their forward dominance stuttered a fair bit, especially near the end of the year when you had a team like Easts who could really match it with them.

Arnold will at the very least bring some variety back into the attacking game and a bloke of Meehan's caliber should attract players.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Weren't Arnold & Meehan at GPS in 2013 when they came up one short v Easts. I think Buzz was also involved.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I could be wrong but I don’t think Meehan was there. There was a bloke called Meehan (his nephew) running around but not Steve. The coaching team was Arnold and Picone.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reece Tapine from Norths has signed with the Brumbies. Anyone know much of him? How'd he go this year?

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Don't remember him standing out in the 1 game I saw of Norths this year, but that doesn't say much.
Ex-Burleigh Bears League as I'm sure you saw. This is him
20200815_DSC_0555-2.jpg

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I thought he was easily the most dangerous backline player for Norths at the beginning of the season but I stopped watching the Norths streams as time went on.

I think with more time in the saddle playing rugby he could become a very good centre...at least at Hospital Cup level.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Jojo Fifita (TSS 2020) signed with the Titans in the last couple of days and announced today.

Probably would have been Bond bound and probably would have figured in the Prems plans next season.

I thought I remember reading a season or two back that Rugby Australia were chuffed to have him tied up to a long term deal and that he and 1 or 2 others were the poster boys being waived around to ward off the evil empire.

Anyway .......so much for that but I'm guessing that a number of players through all Clubs will head back to league next season as their feeder programs open up.