• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
You just talked about the crappy players not good enough to make the wallabies who will be playing for gps

Who called them crappy players? I don't think they're under any allusion that they may be making the Wallabies side, most of those guys will only have played 3 or 4 games of super rugby this year.

I see the point of your post now though - and I agree, but I have a feeling RA will still end up selecting a squad and having them at least train together instead of going to club rugby. Until last week I would have suggested Wallabies camp possibly being setup in QLD and a chance they may be able to organise a travel bubble between QLD and NZ. But with NZ having the new COVID cases I don't think that will happen in the next few months.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
They are not crappy players Phil. I’m just baiting you brother ;-)

Wallaby camps serve as a important tool but in this year with Dave Rennie coming on board. I think club rugby for everyone could be beneficial.

J

JeepsTragic

I agree but I don't think this is in anyway the QRU's fault - I think Michael Backstrom (completion) & Brendan "Sauce" Hertel (media) do a great work for QPR.

More pressing how confident are you about Easts this weekend?

I just started to watch the Easts/Uni game. Should be an interesting scrum battle against GPS. Easts look disciplined which was a problem for GPS against the filth. had they not conceded 17+ penalties then the score would have been very different. I am reasonably confident but I think any team needs to drop a game before finals so I wont be too upset if the tigers get up so long as we return the favour in October.

Stumpy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sometimes these guys don't come back due to injury/early operations/Wallaby duties etc and sometimes their return can disrupt the team flow as guys take a back seat and leave it up to the rep players to get the job done - sometime the returning Reds are fools gold. It can inspire your opponents to lift their games. In Uni's case in 2019 it just was the final piece of the jigsaw.

Bear in mind though, the Students did have Harry Hockings (Shaw medalist), Jock Campbell, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Tate McDermott back for them in the backend of 2019, which made an obvious difference. This was reflected in their scores during the finals.

J

JeepsTragic

Will GPS get Tom Kibble back as well or is he injured?

Totally agree Bulldog - but barring injury I would expect these guys to come back as they are definitely not in line for Wallaby spots (Straker, Hegarty, Malolua, Tuialima, JP and Feao if not still injured).

Regardless, the current 23 blokes who've been playing look very sharp, Easts will be a good test for them.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
They are not crappy players Phil. I’m just baiting you brother ;-)

Wallaby camps serve as a important tool but in this year with Dave Rennie coming on board. I think club rugby for everyone could be beneficial.
Hi Southern

you need to check forum rules GPS or Brothers Cannot be impugned both are cults and the members will hunt you down if you make a negative comment about either club or the players.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Could someone please enlighten me. Why are some players in First Grade noted as “Name Witheld” in the Comp round Lineups on the Rugby Au fixtures site?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Could someone please enlighten me. Why are some players in First Grade noted as “Name Witheld” in the Comp round Lineups on the Rugby Au fixtures site?

Privacy issues.

When you go and sign up to your local rugby club I think there’s a privacy disclaimer. No idea what purpose it serves on match sheets but that’s my understanding from asking of the same question.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Your MyRugby ID which every player, coach etc gets created when they register for the first time specifically has a field which says ‘do you wish to withhold your name from team sheets’. Players can login to their profile and do this whenever they want.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Sorry for the delay, here are the results from R3.

Hound 4
Red Heavy 4
manwithcaninhand 4
Jets 3
Dru Spork 3
Happyman 3
Paty305 3
Beerad 3
SageToo 3
Nomad 2
Cam G 2
Bluedog 2

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I know it's early but I am happy to offer up a top 4 projection of Easts, GPS, Uni, Bros

Just watched the second half of Easts v GPS and I think once Easts put their mind to it out paced GPS which surprised me.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
I saw it a little differently. GPS probably did more in attack in terms of continuity of phases, line breaks and tackles evaded in the second half, however Easts were the far smarter team on the day and played the windy conditions better than GPS. Every time GPS worked there way up the field on the ground Easts would get a turnover and win back all the field position with some superb kicking from Pilz and Toua. GPS needed more points in the first half with the gale if they were to be a chance in the second half but weren't up to the field position challenge. Four tries each, with the game decided by two penalty goals made for an exciting match. I would expect to see both teams in the final four.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Was at game, really enjoyed it, bloody good game I was a complete neutral, just there because I love watching rugby. Serge is correct about Easts were far more smarter, played the conditions well. No idea od names of any players (apart from Mowen), but my MOTM was Easts 9, he had a cracker. Had the feeling GPS backs thought they were just going to run through Easts, but got no joy. Enjoyed the First's match too! A good day at rugby!

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Well done Norths for a well deserved win, very unlucky not to have won two on the trot really but I would have thought that victory was a shock to many. Great comeback win from Uni and also really good to see the tigers in form.

J

JeepsTragic

UQ v Sunnybank was a good game but the GPS v Easts was a cracker of a game.

I did find it curious that in both games a dominant scrum got penalized. it happened both ways in the GPS - Easts game and to Uni. Have the ref's been instructed to police the dominant scrum or was it an anomaly?