• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2021

HappiDayz

Bob McCowan (2)
Have just watched the footage and it is horrendous for both clubs involved. My thoughts:
1) the GPS player should have stayed away while the injured Brothers player was being attended to, no matter what she thought she heard being said. Time to grow up and act like a Premier Grade player. I've never seen that happen in a mens premier grade game.
2) the Brother's linesman is going to be in trouble for being the first person to lash out. Worse, if only for pure optics, it was against a female. I agree with Steak - the initial contact looked like a shove.
3) the GPS team should be ashamed of what I can only describe as a pack attack by surrounding the linesman while they were at least screaming at him. I would be shocked if there was not at least one punch or slap given by one of the GPS players, given the heat of the moment. But I can imagine the linesman would have been experiencing overwhelming fear in those moments.
4) the hoodie guy should be in deep shit. Running across the field, in and around the melee to then clearly seek out the linesman and throw a high punch intended to connect with the head.

My final thought - the womens comp now has the title 'Premier Womens'. It's about time that the women playing in this comp learn that with their expectation that everyone should treat them with the level of respect that they demand (and I do know that a lot of clubs have been dealing with the womens team expecting the same 'perks' as their Mens Premier grade) they also learn that there are stronger consequences when actions like these occur.

HappiDayz

Bob McCowan (2)
Woo up mate. The skill level of the blokes sitting on the bench for Prem Grade and the guys playing 5th grade are quite different. Regardless, GPS are still finding the cattle they need, my point wasn't so much a complaint as it was raising a possible change for next year, which has been brought up by several clubs already.

And I think you'll find with the new rules brought in this year, most clubs are carrying at least one fresh prop on the bench for Premier Grade, sometimes even reggies. Brothers had fresh forwards on the bench for 1sts, 2nds and 3rds. It's not uncommon.
I think there's a little bit of difference to 'at least one fresh prop' and a whole fresh front row, particularly when GPS 2nd grade is currently in 7th place and their 3rd grade is battling to hold onto 4th place.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Have just watched the footage and it is horrendous for both clubs involved. My thoughts:
1) the GPS player should have stayed away while the injured Brothers player was being attended to, no matter what she thought she heard being said. Time to grow up and act like a Premier Grade player. I've never seen that happen in a mens premier grade game.
2) the Brother's linesman is going to be in trouble for being the first person to lash out. Worse, if only for pure optics, it was against a female. I agree with Steak - the initial contact looked like a shove.
3) the GPS team should be ashamed of what I can only describe as a pack attack by surrounding the linesman while they were at least screaming at him. I would be shocked if there was not at least one punch or slap given by one of the GPS players, given the heat of the moment. But I can imagine the linesman would have been experiencing overwhelming fear in those moments.
4) the hoodie guy should be in deep shit. Running across the field, in and around the melee to then clearly seek out the linesman and throw a high punch intended to connect with the head.

My final thought - the womens comp now has the title 'Premier Womens'. It's about time that the women playing in this comp learn that with their expectation that everyone should treat them with the level of respect that they demand (and I do know that a lot of clubs have been dealing with the womens team expecting the same 'perks' as their Mens Premier grade) they also learn that there are stronger consequences when actions like these occur.

one of the more anti-GPS posts there. Not surprising given where its come from ;)

In all honesty, if the touchy had stayed on the touch line, like he is meant to, none of that happens.

You've never seen that in a men's game? Oh come on. I've seen it plenty and I've watched a small percentage that you have at club level.

Of course there was a pack attack on the touchie. Did you expect the team just sit back and watch one of their team mates get attacked by a bloke double her size? THat would happen in men's games too.

HappiDayz

Bob McCowan (2)
one of the more anti-GPS posts there. Not surprising given where its come from ;)

In all honesty, if the touchy had stayed on the touch line, like he is meant to, none of that happens.

You've never seen that in a men's game? Oh come on. I've seen it plenty and I've watched a small percentage that you have at club level.

Of course there was a pack attack on the touchie. Did you expect the team just sit back and watch one of their team mates get attacked by a bloke double her size? THat would happen in men's games too.

Anti GPS? Not at all. I’d say that no matter what colour jersey is being worn- and trust me I have in previous years.
The touchie went to see to an injured player that was closer to his side than where their medic was standing. Sure hindsight is a great thing and should’ve stayed where he was, but his initial intentions were good. Plus nearly all touchies provided by each team from 2nd grade down has some invested interest in one team. I’ve seen plenty venture out to an injured player until the medic arrives.
And I’ve watched plenty of handbags being thrown around in Premier Grade but not for a long time the level that went to. And when they did there were serious repercussions for the players involved.

I don’t condone fighting of any kind, in any grade, in any competition. I just feel that if you choose to get involved it’s to either break it up or to escalate it. It is a split decision that you make and should live with the consequences. The touchie shouldn’t have reacted to the GPS player and definitely should not have laid a hand on her. The GPS player should’ve respected the injured player. The hoodie guy- no business at all being there.
The Brothers team should be applauded for staying out of it from the initial confrontation.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Happi I’m not going to bother responding to your post. The single most damming thing to happen in that whole incident was a male touch judge assaulting a female/a number of female players. If that happens in a household whether it’s a shove, choke or punch it’s called domestic violence and if you don’t believe me, go and ask Brothers legal counsel what they are most worried about, because I have and I can tell you they don’t give a shit about the GPS reaction. You should be ashamed of your posts.

The touch judge is the boyfriend of the injured player. Clearly emotion was playing a factor in his reaction.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
Regardless of who is most at fault, this is the second unsavoury incident where spectators have gotten into a bingle with players in recent weeks at Yoku Rd. It will be interesting to see what measures are put in place to address this other than Anthony Herbert playing a lone-hand trying to bring sanity to an out of control situation.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Regardless of who is most at fault, this is the second unsavoury incident where spectators have gotten into a bingle with players in recent weeks at Yoku Rd. It will be interesting to see what measures are put in place to address this other than Anthony Herbert playing a lone-hand trying to bring sanity to an out of control situation.

I noticed the week after the UQ vs GPS game when Wests hosted GPS there was a roped off perimeter fence around the whole grounds which I don’t recall ever seeing at the kennel. Is this the status quo moving forward or just for GPS game and that unruly fanbase.

The other clubs should really be sending GPS a bill for all these extra unforeseen costs associated with that out of control mob (clearly a joke - pls don’t bite galloper fans)

J

JeepsTragic

I think there's a little bit of difference to 'at least one fresh prop' and a whole fresh front row, particularly when GPS 2nd grade is currently in 7th place and their 3rd grade is battling to hold onto 4th place.

Mate, GPS 2nd grade has defeated the top two teams and lost by less than 7 to 3rd and 4th. They have been competitive in every game and had a few ball bounced a different way they could be leading the comp. 3rd grad is usually around that mark and 4th grade is leading the comp.

Personally I would like to see the fresh front row from first grade play 1/2 a game in seconds but I think that would be dangerous to second grade props. Fred Burke had worked over Zander and Hooper - what do you think he would do to a 2nd maybe 3rd grade prop?

Reactions: vac

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Personally I would like to see the fresh front row from first grade play 1/2 a game in seconds but I think that would be dangerous to second grade props. Fred Burke had worked over Zander and Hooper - what do you think he would do to a 2nd maybe 3rd grade prop?

LOL.....If he's that good maybe he should be starting.

Some 1st grade front rowers in one club would be starting 3rds in others. That's generally why players move to play 1st grade or higher grades.

J

JeepsTragic

LOL...If he's that good maybe he should be starting.

Some 1st grade front rowers in one club would be starting 3rds in others. That's generally why players move to play 1st grade or higher grades.

Maybe he should be starting, but if you think a good third grade prop or an average second grade prop is going to be competitive against Fred Burke then you are delusional.

Southsidepie

Bob McCowan (2)
Yep contested scrums all the way down the grades.

There are a few blokes playing out of position in the lower grades to ensure they can field a contested scrum and not lose competition points. I think you'll find they may amend the rules next year, I know GPS aren't the only club who have raised safety concerns over players in 5th grade having to pack at prop when they aren't suited to it.

Making contested scrums from 4th grade up compulsory I think would alleviate lots of the headaches.

I don't see this as fixing the issue. Maybe clubs need to spend time training front rowers. If you go 4th grade up, then what happens if the 4th grade props get injured? The rule was put in place because a number of clubs use uncontested scrums as a tactic when they dont have a strong front row. This issue has been getting worse over the years to the point that you watch multiple grand finals with uncontested scrums. It is not rugby. It is part of the game. Scrummaging is a genuine skill that requires training. Just like tackling. I understand the safety concern but that comes down to training and commitment.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I don't see this as fixing the issue. Maybe clubs need to spend time training front rowers. If you go 4th grade up, then what happens if the 4th grade props get injured? The rule was put in place because a number of clubs use uncontested scrums as a tactic when they dont have a strong front row. This issue has been getting worse over the years to the point that you watch multiple grand finals with uncontested scrums. It is not rugby. It is part of the game. Scrummaging is a genuine skill that requires training. Just like tackling. I understand the safety concern but that comes down to training and commitment.

I don't disagree with anything you've said.

But where are we finding these players? Player drain has already started at school level and it's evidenced at the top level where our professional sides are getting belted by the kiwis because we simply don't have the numbers to create depth, across all levels of rugby, not just the props.

FFS the best prop in the country was flown in from NZ as a high schooler and its daylight between him and the next best locally produced player!

In an ideal world we have props playing all the way down to 9th grade. But when you've got such a niche position, which as you say requires training, it's hard to get the cattle. With the current rules, clubs realistically need 14 fully fit props playing each week to ensure none of their teams from Prems to 5ths go uncontested and lose match points. I think that's harsh.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Not sure of my math, but I think its more like 10.

Don't the current rules still allow for uncontested if a prop goes down with injury during the game without loosing points provided they start contested?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Not sure of my math, but I think its more like 10.

Don't the current rules still allow for uncontested if a prop goes down with injury during the game without loosing points provided they start contested?

Yes mate it is 10, but that then assumes all those props are playing full games and no injuries, not every 130kg bloke in 5th grade is playing 70mins. So realistically you need a couple of reserves.

If you start contested and drop to uncontested you must also drop a player but don't lose points.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
For mine it could be GPS that could have a tough year. They seem to be aging and do not have the Colts coming through.
my top 4 in no particular order
Bond, UQ, Brothers, Easts

All I thought getting back to Rugby would be a good thing. Interesting to see what we all said at the start of the year.
my picks look ordinary.
final 4 for mine.
UQ
GPS Some genius did not have them in the top 4.
then any of 4
Bond who cannot defend
Wests getting some serious cattle back
Brothers as above
Souths a Smokey but will probably fall short as they have lost a couple they should have won.
Easts could go from the penthouse to the other house.
GPS colts have turned it around. Well played.

Marbig

Herbert Moran (7)
All I thought getting back to Rugby would be a good thing. Interesting to see what we all said at the start of the year.
my picks look ordinary.
final 4 for mine.
UQ
GPS Some genius did not have them in the top 4.
then any of 4
Bond who cannot defend
Wests getting some serious cattle back
Brothers as above
Souths a Smokey but will probably fall short as they have lost a couple they should have won.
Easts could go from the penthouse to the other house.
GPS colts have turned it around. Well played.

Have to agree with you there. Has Floyd Aubrey made much of an impact in the GPS Colts team? Watched him play for Ashgrove and was one of the better products in recent years out of the AIC comp.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
McReight outplayed by Giquel big time, Wallaby??

No I don't think so at this stage, he has a year or two to put in to confirm his skill level. Needs to work on his strength as well. Was happy to see him playing for the club (and I think he loves club rugby). Giquel did come back at the end; but during the game McReight (and that matter the team) had a higher energy in general play, than did Jeeps. But Jeeps won the day.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Agree with your point regarding McReight in attack, I actually think at club level McReight is one of the best attacking forwards in the game, his link player and running lines are epic. Needs to add that string to his bow at Super level.

Hoopert hasn't come back the same player he was in early 2020. He's been minced this year by club level packs. GPS bringing on a fresh front row of Felemi, Mafi and Burke with 30mins to go will be a great advantage going forward. They need to make sure they convert that scrum pressure into constant points though. Once again I think the backline looked a bit limp compared to what the forwards were doing.

Yeah probably a maturity and strength issue for Harry. I think the problem in the Brothers front row has as much to do with Maloney then anything else. I don't know about Felemi, but Mafi and Burke have a lot of experience and would find it "easy" against a front row like Brothers. Plus they must have a fairly heafy weight advantage as well, which usually means your technique has to be that much better. And at this stage it isn't.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
UQ will probably get Campbell and possibly ASY (Angus Scott-Young) back on top of the Reds’ players we’ve already seen this year. Think Tate would be the only likely Wallaby squad member from UQ.

UQ well out in front at the moment , but the other teams could have a very different look come late August.

Nah I think ASY (Angus Scott-Young) will be in the 30 at least.