• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Phil - I think Creighton is ahead of these blokes due to his experience. He played a lot of QPR before he got his Super call up.
I think the higher you play is very much a factor of consistency of performance which I think is what we have seen from him in the last couple of seasons.
Consistency leads to confidence.

He can combine n play well in a star studded team but as a lead it just doesn’t happen - happy to see his highlight reel however

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
RWC23 - we can blame Eddie all we like but the real issue is the systemic poor governance of the game of Rugby in Australia dating back to after RWC03.
And Phil Waugh is not going to fix it.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Any reports on the Reds Development vs Challenger Game II? Who stood out? Who impressed with their progression? Players to watch next year?
I thought Ryan played really well and had a good combo with Grealy. Anderson and Bryant looked strong in the backrow and Toomaga-Allen arrived ready to get stuck in which was great to see. Development XV scrum started very strong with Nasser out there too, great to see him playing again.

For the Challenger side I thought Tautalatasi Tasi was a stand out with strong, incisive running. Also Liam Usher had the play of the day with an unconventional kick off he then recovered to see Mataitini score in the corner.

There's a write up from the Reds here:

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Yep Tim Ryan was the standout at reds and Liam usher cameo off bench for the challengers was best.

All in all it was good footy but it needs be reworked (team selections = not rules) it’s maddening you can have 10k for a grand final but then a empty stadium for what is the equivalent of the qpr all star game.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Yep Tim Ryan was the standout at reds and Liam usher cameo off bench for the challengers was best.

All in all it was good footy but it needs be reworked (team selections = not rules) it’s maddening you can have 10k for a grand final but then a empty stadium for what is the equivalent of the qpr all star game.

Sorry I am unsure of crowd numbers but it looked empty in sunshine… maybe someone who attended could say how it looked from the new main grand stand

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Not sure what you mean by "team selections = not rules" here.

Crowd wise it was always going to be a bit tough in a world cup year with the mood well down and a few clubs running tours to Europe. I do agree there's more to build around crowd an product here, particularly integrating the Saitama game, but anything there is gravy - this game is first and foremost a development and talent ID tool and should be judged on those merits.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Not sure what you mean by "team selections = not rules" here.

Crowd wise it was always going to be a bit tough in a world cup year with the mood well down and a few clubs running tours to Europe. I do agree there's more to build around crowd an product here, particularly integrating the Saitama game, but anything there is gravy - this game is first and foremost a development and talent ID tool and should be judged on those merits.

I mean it’s essentially an all star game for the qpr competition whilst masquerading as a trial for the end of year tour.

I’m a little confused how some of these teams selected. There was contracted reds on the challengers side and then club players lining up for the development side

I believe the previous format (when sunny coast) was in comp it was a north of river vs south’s of river….

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I mean it’s essentially an all star game for the qpr competition whilst masquerading as a trial for the end of year tour.

I’m a little confused how some of these teams selected. There was contracted reds on the challengers side and then club players lining up for the development side

I believe the previous format (when sunny coast) was in comp it was a north of river vs south’s of river….
I know it looks a bit like an all-star game, but that's not the point of the challenger series. The whole focus is on talent ID and development for the Reds and needs to have that purpose front and center in the decisions made.

I wouldn't be opposed to an all star game being run as well, ideally before the challenger series, but it's a mistake to conflate the two.

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
So who won the Number 10 battle this week? HMP or Creighton or Pappin? Don't understand how T Lynagh is not making an appearance in these games. Has played very limited games in two years IMO. Injured still/again??

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Can someone remind me why we don’t play the NRC anymore?
Eddie’s Emus could have all played NRC and be match fit albeit 48 hours away rather than drinking pints in the UK!!

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Can someone remind me why we don’t play the NRC anymore?
Eddie’s Emus could have all played NRC and be match fit albeit 48 hours away rather than drinking pints in the UK!!

Many have made it clear at various times that there are four stakeholders that were happy with the outcomes it was producing, and one that wasn't. Fairly easy to read between the lines from there.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Many have made it clear at various times that there are four stakeholders that were happy with the outcomes it was producing, and one that wasn't. Fairly easy to read between the lines from there.
The one stakeholder that is still yet to organise off season rugby for squad development by the looks of it too. The more things change...

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I’m having trouble identifying this team.

I’m going to assume it’s NSW as they ruin all the fun. But brumbies have been massive crybabies lately about centralisation n so it could be them as well