• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
The Wallabies coach has called out the inconsistencies. The game is the loser because fans go home scratching their heads.

If Eddie Jones and the other international coaches have to go to a forum in Europe to make sure there is consistency in the World Cup, I am sure that could filter down to all levels of officiating in a positive way. Do the QPR coaches get the same opportunity with the QRAA? If they do, that's great.

But if they don't, what an opportunity. JRugby, it is obviously close to your heart - what's the facts?

XFactor

Frank Nicholson (4)
I like watching a well structured rolling maul. It's part of the game so if you can use it to your advantage. Unfortunately, in my opinion, if union wants to become more appealing to the average punter, it's needs to be more free following and not so over officiated. This isn't a shot at the refs, they are bound by the rules of the game. The NRL is popular because it's a simple game to understand.

CreepyJoe

Allen Oxlade (6)
Definitely not a valid discussion point if the crux of the argument is based on a frivolous and baseless attack on community referees and definitely deserves to be shut down.

Of course, no individual area of the game should escape the microscope whether that be law reform or referee performance but idiots making sweeping generalisations such as "referees only looking at the defensive side of the maul" doesn't progress the game forward either. Especially since the majority of law changes that you're referring to in recent years have focused heavily on policing the attacking side.

Be good if the peanut gallery could support these claims with genuine, evidence-based commentary rather than side mouth dribble after their team has been dominated by a good rolling maul. If you don't understand how something works - just say so.
what's inaccurate about that statement in bold?

CreepyJoe

Allen Oxlade (6)
Wests scored 6 tries - 4 by the forwards and 2 from their captain (centre).

I am over rolling maul tries. They’ve taken over the game and the referees go into a mode where they only referee the defensive side looking for fault. How many finish in penalties, yellow cards or pushover tries? I think it’s a blight on rugby and laws need to be adjusted.
Having watched the game on Stan, whoever the forwards Coach is at Norths clearly hasn't spent a great deal of time working on maul defence!

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Having watched the game on Stan, whoever the forwards Coach is at Norths clearly hasn't spent a great deal of time working on maul defence!
Watch the week before against South's. You'd of thought that's all they would of done during the week. Long season ahead when you add their backs kicking the ball away as soon as they make a line break instead of building pressure.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Agree not playing smack bang in the middle of Easter weekend is good. But I wonder with appropriate planning and notice how many clubs would have been happy to play on Good Friday?

Particularly with the Reds playing at Suncorp tonight. Seems a great opportunity for clubs to host a game on what is generally a pretty quiet day and then either organise buses to Suncorp or show the game at the club house and sell some tins.

Speaking to a few players this week and many would have been happy to play (this is coming from GPS and Brothers blokes who’ve both already copped a BYE this year and are itching to get on the field).

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Agree not playing smack bang in the middle of Easter weekend is good. But I wonder with appropriate planning and notice how many clubs would have been happy to play on Good Friday?

Particularly with the Reds playing at Suncorp tonight. Seems a great opportunity for clubs to host a game on what is generally a pretty quiet day and then either organise buses to Suncorp or show the game at the club house and sell some tins.

Speaking to a few players this week and many would have been happy to play (this is coming from GPS and Brothers blokes who’ve both already copped a BYE this year and are itching to get on the field).
I'm not exactly sure where the rugby clubs fit into the licensing laws, but the good Friday restrictions would likely make this very difficult, if not impossible.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
probably to allow players, club officials, match officials etc etc a chance to go away on a long weekend with family perhaps?
How lovely. Couldn’t think of a worse time with crowds and traffic compounded by school holiday prices.

Obviously they don’t rate long weekends in Sydney rugby.