• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

TheGhostWhoWalks

Allen Oxlade (6)
the bloke has probably NEVER Coached a team himself. But happy to shit can a bloke who's having a go
Coached plenty of teams and won premierships in Sydney and Brisbane.

Watching him coach the Presidents XV and Reds U16 in the recent competitions and speaking to a number of players in both teams he wasn’t well regarded by either camp.

Some of the selections that were made in the U16’s were because of who he was friends with.

Bob Ross

Frank Row (1)
Coached plenty of teams and won premierships in Sydney and Brisbane.

Watching him coach the Presidents XV and Reds U16 in the recent competitions and speaking to a number of players in both teams he wasn’t well regarded by either camp.

Some of the selections that were made in the U16’s were because of who he was friends with.I
I Feel Pat has never really had the cattle to show his true colours with norths or state high for that matter, regarding the 16s he never has really had enough time to coach the way he wants to as they don't have a long enough camp. I feel he should of played harry grant in the final over the norths colts player.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
thoughts on Pat Byron ?

I like Pat - think his a good coach. Has helped with recruiting some handy colts talent and if norths stick it out with him (rather then a revolving door every other year) they might build a squad like wests had when Pat took us to the semi finals in 2017… he will need the support of the board/committee which he has so I expect to see some improvement this season.

Bob Ross

Frank Row (1)
I like Pat - think his a good coach. Has helped with recruiting some handy colts talent and if norths stick it out with him (rather then a revolving door every other year) they might build a squad like wests had when Pat took us to the semi finals in 2017… he will need the support of the board/committee which he has so I expect to see some improvement this season.
I couldn't agree anymore, however do we think he has the backing he deserves and needs?

TheGhostWhoWalks

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agreed just needs a couple extra of decent players in key positions and they will do better than the last few years. It doesn’t help that the NC boys who were Norths juniors go to the filth.

baldwid

Stan Wickham (3)
Putting my tin foil hat on, with Scott Wisemantel stepping down today and Ben Mowen's move to Canberra, could be see a scenario where Larkham returns to the Wallaby fold as attack coach and Mowen steps into the role at the Brumbies on an interim basis (noting they dont have Mckellar either so need someone to run the lineout).

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Putting my tin foil hat on, with Scott Wisemantel stepping down today and Ben Mowen's move to Canberra, could be see a scenario where Larkham returns to the Wallaby fold as attack coach and Mowen steps into the role at the Brumbies on an interim basis (noting they dont have Mckellar either so need someone to run the lineout).

for all the negative criticism Brad Thorn received being rushed into head coach of super rugby, I really think the brumbies wouldn’t go with someone as green as Ben.

Ben hasn’t really left his mark on QPR. I’m sure if he is fast tracked to super rugby he will receive the same criticism Brad got.

baldwid

Stan Wickham (3)
for all the negative criticism Brad Thorn received being rushed into head coach of super rugby, I really think the brumbies wouldn’t go with someone as green as Ben.

Ben hasn’t really left his mark on QPR. I’m sure if he is fast tracked to super rugby he will receive the same criticism Brad got.
I agree tbh - I just find the timing of everything interesting.

Bob Ross

Frank Row (1)
do we think we will see Eddie return to either a role in super or with the wallabies?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interesting that the return of Eddie Jones might impact on Ben Mowen’s coaching path because they have history - when Eddie coached the Reds the Jones-Mowen relationship wasn’t a great one. Mowen left the Reds and headed to the Waratahs.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting that the return of Eddie Jones might impact on Ben Mowen’s coaching path because they have history - when Eddie coached the Reds the Jones-Mowen relationship wasn’t a great one. Mowen left the Reds and headed to the Waratahs.

I thought Mowen headed south the same year Eddie arrived? 2007.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Ahh yea. Good pick up. The ARC!

I still have some Ballymore Tornados merch.

I know we are going off topic here, but did anyone of note really make their mark with the Tornados or Ace's? I know they only lasted one season and I barely remember the games.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

I know we are going off topic here, but did anyone of note really make their mark with the Tornados or Ace's? I know they only lasted one season and I barely remember the games.

Digby Ioane was the standout for Aces…believe he was just coming into reds frame about this time

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

The games were really high quality (maybe not the Qld teams who ended bottom of the ladder). The ELVs really contributed to fast rugby.

I remember Ben Lucas actually playing well. Blair Connor did some good things and Pete Hynes was trialled at Flyhalf and was ok.

More broadly Beale was brilliant and Benny Alexander very good too. The Melbourne Rebels were my favourite team. Digby was terrific as was Crofty as captain.