• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2023

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Herbie would love if Eddie asked Quade and Kerevi to play back to back weeks.

Both games at home vs Wests and then Easts. Big games.

Would get some massive crowds.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Herbie would love if Eddie asked Quade and Kerevi to play back to back weeks.

Both games at home vs Wests and then Easts. Big games.

Would get some massive crowds.

Is Will Genia down at training too?

I really hope we get a Quade/Kerevi 10/12 battle versus the next gen Carter/Paisami 10/12

I have a feeling some wallabies will be getting rested tho… Quade/Kerevi need some rugby under their belts though because of returning from injury

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
GPS are a fair chance of running out with Quade and Kerevi this weekend.
Bloody hell, marking those two is up there with Ardie Savea playing at fullback on the weekend for his club.

Give Kerevi or Ardie the space that's all too often found in club rugby and they'll just steam roll you.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
What about Tate, Harry, JOC (James O'Connor) and McReight do you think we’ll see these guys running out for Uni & Brothers?

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Would be good to see the QRU publish the points cap values of each 1st Grade team each week throughout the trial of the system, so that the public can get used to how it may be applied next year.
With the Super Rugby players returning to QPR over the next couple of weeks it would be good to see how close each team comes to the 100 point total that is allowed.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Would be good to see the QRU publish the points cap values of each 1st Grade team each week throughout the trial of the system, so that the public can get used to how it may be applied next year.
With the Super Rugby players returning to QPR over the next couple of weeks it would be good to see how close each team comes to the 100 point total that is allowed.

I posted this last week, I spoke to a couple of club managers at a lunch recently, they weren't overly happy with the approach from the QRU about this trial.

Sounds like at least three clubs simply wouldn't be doing the calculations needed to ensure proper player discounts are applied. I'm not across the workings of it at all, so can't comment if the QRU have been slack or if these clubs are being a bit precious, but it sounded like they wanted some additional resources provided by the QRU to get it all running.

I might be overly simplifying the task, but it sounds like it would only be a bulk calculation once a year and then let the figures roll until the next season.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I posted this last week, I spoke to a couple of club managers at a lunch recently, they weren't overly happy with the approach from the QRU about this trial.

Sounds like at least three clubs simply wouldn't be doing the calculations needed to ensure proper player discounts are applied. I'm not across the workings of it at all, so can't comment if the QRU have been slack or if these clubs are being a bit precious, but it sounded like they wanted some additional resources provided by the QRU to get it all running.

I might be overly simplifying the task, but it sounds like it would only be a bulk calculation once a year and then let the figures roll until the next season.
I did the calculations on behalf of a particular Club. A list of players who had played 1st grade in the early rounds was provided by the QRU and it took probably a total of 15 minutes to allocate the players a Category and identify relevant discounts.
The QRU then each week identify players who were debutantes in the previous week and it takes virtually no time to categorise those players and advise the QRU.
It certainly wasn't an arduous task.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I did the calculations on behalf of a particular Club. A list of players who had played 1st grade in the early rounds was provided by the QRU and it took probably a total of 15 minutes to allocate the players a Category and identify relevant discounts.
The QRU then each week identify players who were debutantes in the previous week and it takes virtually no time to categorise those players and advise the QRU.
It certainly wasn't an arduous task.
Would you care to share so we can could all see ballpark figures?

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Would you care to share so we can could all see ballpark figures?
My Club is Souths. Our 1st grade teams that have taken the field over the rounds since the trial began have ranged from around 70 points value to approx. 80 points when we had nearly our full complement of Super Rugby contracted players and our Junior Wallabies playing. Based on the players currently with our Club, Souths will not come close to 100 points. Unfortunately, with the level of access I have to the system, I can't see the points value of opposition teams. That is why I suggested that the QRU publish the points value of each team on Rugby Xplorer before each fixture.

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
The "Rebel Effect" certainly helped Wests through the lower grades on the weekend.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
By the way - I've heard there has been a backflip on the all wallabies back to club land edict. We will see some I am sure, but I believe they are getting run pretty hard at the moment so tacking on a game at the end of the week may not be seen as the best option.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
I always find it interesting that some of the same guys who think that their teams are waiting for the Reds to come back are the same ones who blame the Wests for having Rebel players in it.
We should just be happy to see these guys raise the overall level of the comp.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
By the way - I've heard there has been a backflip on the all wallabies back to club land edict. We will see some I am sure, but I believe they are getting run pretty hard at the moment so tacking on a game at the end of the week may not be seen as the best option.

So no Quade and Kerevi?? Surely those blokes need more than just a couple of hill sprints and laps around the oval.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
So no Quade and Kerevi?? Surely those blokes need more than just a couple of hill sprints and laps around the oval.

I think it’s actually a logistical nightmare for those 2 players. This week they are in Sydney, so they fly up Thursday night training, return for a fan experience day Friday morning at Coogee then fly back to Brisbane.

Maybe a cameo off the bench for both these guys is on the cards if it means they can skip Thursday night training at Yoku?

But if we don’t get any wallabies this weekend in club rugby it will be a shame because across the ditch we had Ardie Savea (will be a ABs XV RWC) having a run back in clubland - Kiwis about repping clubland - but all our players are in a mass resting wrapped in cotton wool???? Lame!!