• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QRU: $2m Surplus for 2011: ARU Repaid 2 Years Early

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
This is posted solely in celebration of competent franchise management and success for a heartland of Australian rugby, where sustained failure would have been fatal:

Queensland Rugby reports $2 million surplus for 2011

Queensland Rugby has reported a surplus of $2 million dollars for 2011; it was announced at the Annual General Meeting.

Queensland Rugby’s 2011 financial result of a net profit of $1,460,000 after depreciation ($625,000) is a remarkable turnaround compared to the substantial losses reported in 2010 and 2009.

The result was underpinned by outstanding success across all commercial revenue streams. A sharp focus on membership strategy saw the St.George Queensland Reds Army grow 183% to 15,626 members in 2011, while match ticket sales increased on average by 46% and Corporate Hospitality sales grew 200%, resulting in an increase in revenue of 38%.

As a result of Queensland Rugby’s continued strengthening financial position, the QRU board has been able to disband the Special Executive Committee (SEC) two years ahead of schedule after repaying its loan to the ARU.

QRU Chairman Rod McCall paid tribute to the ARU, in particular CEO John O’Neill and former ARU Director Dick McGruther for their support over the last two years and stated that the success Queensland Rugby has achieved both on and off the field would not have been possible without the ARU’s backing.

These significant achievements were announced to members and stakeholders at Queensland Rugby’s Annual General Meeting on Saturday where former Reds and Wallaby player, Mr Mark Connors became the newest member of Queensland Rugby’s nine-man Board of Directors.
Queensland Rugby’s success on and off the field in 2011 were the returns from a three-year business strategy which was designed to consolidate and reform the game in Queensland.

A

andyq

great stuff,

the shake up the QRU had when they realised they were broke has obviously been working off the field as well as on it (well, success last year. the jury is still very much out on this year)

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Fantastic news for all Reds fans. Reg was the real difference.

Sent using Tapatalk on a very old phone

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I hear the plan is to expand the borders of the QRU southward and westward until we reach the ocean in both directions.

At which point the wallabies will ditch the gold for a more tasteful maroon strip, and the coat of arms will be shifted slightly to make way for Australia's other iconic fauna, the koala.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Dammit Bowside, I thought Reg had given you the word to keep quiet on the masterplan. You've delayed progress years man..

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I hear the plan is to expand the borders of the QRU southward and westward until we reach the ocean in both directions.

At which point the wallabies will ditch the gold for a more tasteful maroon strip, and the coat of arms will be shifted slightly to make way for Australia's other iconic fauna, the koala.
So you're "Queenslander-ising" us? So when do we expect the lobotomies? :p

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

I dont know if a wallaby jersey with goat footprints or cheetah prints would be too popular, I would rather just a red jersey than moroon

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Well done the Reds. However, if a franchise cannot make a profit during a season in which they play finals games at home and actually win the thing, they never, ever would.

It would be really interesting to know whether the St George Bank sponsorship increased because of the win, big crowds, huge ratings, etc. I bet the bank marketing exec who promoted the Reds sponsorship is pretty happy with himself. Or, herself.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ha that's what I was thinking, who the hell doesn't make a strong profit when the team wins the competition with home advantage throughout the finals.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well done the Reds. However, if a franchise cannot make a profit during a season in which they play finals games at home and actually win the thing, they never, ever would.

Thats true but dont overlook the fact that s. 15 season 2011 followed very closely on the Queensland floods and 2010s results would have kept some people from committing to a season ticket.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Frankly I was much more excited about paying our debt back 2 years early than making a profit. But you glass half empty guys go for it.

The glass is pretty full. Who said that it is half empty, or only half full? The game seems to be booming in the Deep North. Except on the field, but I suppose we can hope that the tide will turn soon.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I dont know if a wallaby jersey with goat footprints or cheetah prints would be too popular, I would rather just a red jersey than moroon

To me they looked like hickeys. Why not go for a technicolor jersey, psychedelic man. I'm sure if the up & down performances of the Wallabies continues this year we'll all be reaching for some of those muffins with a "special ingredient".

Very happy for the Reds by the way, financial turn around like that is a massive effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.