• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QSRU - Queensland Suburban Rugby

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
All clubs back again this year … or too early to say?
Probably a bit early, but the clubs should more or less the same. Caboolture should be a bit stronger, and hopefully will have a colts team like Wynnum. Hope to see Wynnum have 3 teams again. Springfield will hopefully be back again, probably in Scotney. A few of the 1 team clubs hoping to get a second team on the field. Not sure of many of their chances though. Just too many grades in the Brisbane Premiership competing for the same players I think. The two friday night comps should be merged, or at least have cross over games. Not much point of two 5 team comps.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
How deep does Queensland Subbies go?
Like paddling pool deep. Doesnt help that Prem clubs have grades up to 6 or 7 senior grade teams. Although who would blame some players going to grade clubs as Rep football and meaningful competition is practically non existent at the moment. 4 out of the 5 QSRU comps last year had 5 teams. With 4 teams in each comp making finals.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Like paddling pool deep. Doesnt help that Prem clubs have grades up to 6 or 7 senior grade teams. Although who would blame some players going to grade clubs as Rep football and meaningful competition is practically non existent at the moment. 4 out of the 5 QSRU comps last year had 5 teams. With 4 teams in each comp making finals.

Yup and QSRU committee is incompetent.....

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yeah that too. I think they should just have the two Saturday comps this year. Would make a lot more sense with the number of clubs these days.

100% it does - but common sense can't be found in QSRU Committee or QRU committee for that matter.
With a bit of luck at the upcoming AGM for Subbies some new blood gets in on the executive and they can inject some enthusiasm into the comp.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
I hear rumours there is a chance the QSRU comp will merge with the Sunshine Coast comp

Would make a lot of sense, at lest for Div 1 Subbies. I know Brisbane Irish & Riverside are both going for two teams along with the 5 clubs from last year. Adding 4 or 5 of Sunny Coast two team clubs would give an 12 club comp probably to split into two groups, with maybe 10 or so Clubs in Scotney Cup, which I guess can be split two as well.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
At the moment I hear Springfield and Riverside say they are nominating 2 teams however from numbers they have had at training it is impossible to see it sustainable.

It is a great idea in theory to merge comps however springing it on clubs a month before season starts will be a very hard sell.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
So if this happen, the makeup of the comp ends up looking something like:

DIV 1 (2 grades)
Noosa
Caloundra
USC
Maroochydore
Nambour (if they go back to 2 teams)
Caboolture
Pine Rivers
Ipswich
Goodna
Wynnum
Riverside
Brisbane Irish (if their 2nd grade isn't a Friday night team)

DIV 2 (1 Grade)
Hustlers
Everton Park
Redcliffe
Redlands
Southern Bay
Springfield
Nambour (If only 1 team)
Brisbane Irish (If only 1 Sat team)
Gympie
Maleny

I can't see Fraser Coast joining Subbies, as I think they have enough trouble getting a squad to travel to the Sunny Coast, unless Div 2 was split into conferences of some sort. Interesting to see what happens. It could translate into a bit of a revival of Subbies rugby in SEQ.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
unconfirmed rumor - would love to hear if anyone has heard whispers of the sorts...
Ipswich Rangers will be participating in one of the Friday Night comps?

There is currently no 2018 fixtures for the Normanby or the Wyatt Cup on rugby link. So unable to verify teams in these divisions.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
So if this happen, the makeup of the comp ends up looking something like:

DIV 1 (2 grades)
Noosa
Caloundra
USC
Maroochydore
Nambour (if they go back to 2 teams)
Caboolture
Pine Rivers
Ipswich
Goodna
Wynnum
Riverside
Brisbane Irish (if their 2nd grade isn't a Friday night team)

DIV 2 (1 Grade)
Hustlers
Everton Park
Redcliffe
Redlands
Southern Bay
Springfield
Nambour (If only 1 team)
Brisbane Irish (If only 1 Sat team)
Gympie
Maleny

I can't see Fraser Coast joining Subbies, as I think they have enough trouble getting a squad to travel to the Sunny Coast, unless Div 2 was split into conferences of some sort. Interesting to see what happens. It could translate into a bit of a revival of Subbies rugby in SEQ.

Take out Nambour (1 Team), Irish, Ipswich & Riverside (if talk is true they have limited numbers). Then its a 10 team comp - which is a perfect world it is ideal.

I heard the same talk regarding Ipswich - its quiet sad to see the decline of Rangers grade of recent years. Hopefully it turns around as along with Wynnum they have been constant finalists over past decade or more.

QSRU AGM is Wednesday night so it should become clearer then.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
RugbyLink has been updated, quite interesting. Div 1 has 4 SCRU teams joining along with Riverside & Springfield nominating 2 for Div 1, bringing the division to an 11 team competition. 6 Div 1 teams have nominated colts, surprised USC hasn't got 2 colts teams again. A welcome surprise to see Forest Lake have a Scotney team. Interesting to see what happens with Rangers, & Riverside if they don't end up with the cattle needed. I wonder what happens to the 1 club teams on the Sunny Coast though? I guess they have their own comp by themselves?

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
After the AGM last night I am told the QSRU Div 1 (Barber/Pegg) will merge with the 4 Sunny Coast teams (Noosa, Maroochydore, Caloundra, SC Uni). They will all play each other once (meaning 2 away trips for the QSRU teams) and a first past the post winner will be declared around Mid June. Then QSRU teams will go and play each other once more before a standard barber/pegg cup final system. Scotney cup will remain as normal with the 8-9 QSRU teams.

I think it is exciting - with QSRU helping subsidies bus costs to teams travelling to the Coast I think it will help.

Rangers and Riverside are confident they have numbers for 2 teams (even though Riverside have no Coach). Pine Rivers are struggling for even 1 team at present.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
DIV 1 (2 grades)
Noosa
Caloundra
USC
Maroochydore
Caboolture
Goodna
Wynnum
Riverside
Springfield

DIV 2 (1 Grade)
Hustlers
Everton Park
Redcliffe
Redlands
Southern Bay
Ipswich
Brisbane Irish
Pine Rivers
Forest Lake

Colts
Wynnum
Caboolture
Maroochydore
Noosa
USC

Looking at that - wouldnt want to be a Wynnum Colt travel wise.