• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Kefu has a deeper resume than Thorn when he joined the Reds, but I agree it would be more of the same in terms of 'the vibe' of the place.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
Interesting reading Michael Atkinson's article in the Brisbane times regarding the speculation of the Reds interest in Toutai Kefu as Head coach. I have to agree with Atkinson's thoughts, that the Reds can't get caught up in nostalgia and need to find a well credentialed 'Head' coach. Simply surrounding him with highly qualified technical assistants won't work. I love Kefu. He was one of my favourite players and is a great servant to the game, be it coaching Tonga or the U9 Souths team. However, what the Reds need now is a coach who can take the players to the next level. Challenge them and make them better players, as well as bring some smarts to the team. I know coaching options are limited, but I don't believe Kefu is the solution.
Agree.

Yes Kefu is the head coach of Tonga but other than that does he even have any other fulltime coaching gigs? What warrants him to get the gig other than being a reds and wallabies legend. His Tongan results aren't exactly impressive.

Maybe his U9 souths team is pretty good.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Agree.

Yes Kefu is the head coach of Tonga but other than that does he even have any other fulltime coaching gigs? What warrants him to get the gig other than being a reds and wallabies legend. His Tongan results aren't exactly impressive.

Maybe his U9 souths team is pretty good.

pretty sure he was coaching or was director of rugby at Brisbane boys college - which is no token job offer. These private schools throw more money at their rugby program then some of the QPR clubs.

unsure how to gauge coach at bbc against coach with qpr

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
This would be the ducks nuts:

Head Coach - Robbie Deans
Forwards Coach - Toutai Kefu
Backs Coach - Aidan Toua
Attack Coach - Heeno
Defense Coach - Moses Rauluni
Scrum Coach - Steve Moore
Lineout Coach - James Horwill

Rusted

Allen Oxlade (6)
We've had two very successful Kiwi coaches who failed with our players. I can't tell you what the problem is but it doesn't seem to work.
Daryl Gibson at the Tahs was a disaster. Had no interested in bringing through the next generation. Just wanted to win a title to secure his next gig. Mack Masson an example of complete mismanagement of young talent.

Rusted

Allen Oxlade (6)

Head Coach - Robbie Deans
Forwards Coach - Toutai Kefu
Backs Coach - Aidan Toua
Attack Coach - Heeno
Defense Coach - Moses Rauluni
Scrum Coach - Steve Moore
Lineout Coach - James Horwill
You're missing a Learning consultant.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
what are Toua's, Moore's and Horwill's coaching credentials?

Exactly.

Moore doesn't want to coach professionally anyway, he's happy to offer a hand when needed but that's it.

He is very '2nd life' minded these days and career focussed. Being an ex-Wallaby captain he's still on the hook for media duties as well, from what I know he's very happy to phase out of the rugby life stuff soon.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Exactly.

Moore doesn't want to coach professionally anyway, he's happy to offer a hand when needed but that's it.

He is very '2nd life' minded these days and career focussed. Being an ex-Wallaby captain he's still on the hook for media duties as well, from what I know he's very happy to phase out of the rugby life stuff soon.

I also know he is very unhappy with how things are being run - if he is that unhappy why doesnt he help out, there is a massive shortage of expertise when it comes to scrummaging.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I also know he is very unhappy with how things are being run - if he is that unhappy why doesnt he help out, there is a massive shortage of expertise when it comes to scrummaging.

There is a big difference between asking someone to 'help out' and appointing someone to the coaching staff of a professional team. He's got three kids under 10, probably has different priorities now than when he was playing.

The bloke was retired and made himself available to travel with the Reds 2 years ago during their hooker shortage when he was playing for UQ. His opinions about the state of the game are valid, but I don't think that means he needs to make himself available to be a coach.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)

this is what’s wrong with rugby Australia. The old job for boys network. If squeaky got the basic coaching certificate then sure why not. Bring him in for a interview - but If there’s a more qualified scrum doctor… hire him instead

wether it’s Phil Waugh to CEO or Phil Kearns as president of the rugby World Cup bid… we really need to start making decisions based on what you can do “off the paddock” and not “what you did on it”

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

Backs Coach - Aidan Toua
Attack Coach - Heeno
Backs Coach - Quade Cooper
Attack Coach - Quade Cooper

Go back on Stan and have a look at Reds v B&I Lions when he was captain and see what he could bring, particularly the first half.

Add to that, spend all our money on Carter Gordon and have him with QC (Quade Cooper) as coach/water boy as well