• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Excellent to see we still kept Peni even with the new kiwi recruits coming in. Should be an excellent way to help George and Zanes development to be rubbing shoulders with them.

The hookers battle will be interesting. Matt will no doubt have first dibs at the starting spot, but who's the "finisher"? I thought Richie has shown the better impact around the pitch and I haven't seen Josh go around club land to comment how the injuries have impacted him.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
What's the go on Joe Brial and Frankie Goldsborough? Will we see them play much?
Brial I'd imagine will get some gametime off the bench this year. Goldsborough on the other hand looks like a prospect for the future. Probably won't get any gametime unless we see some serious injuries in the centres. Currently stuck behind Flook, Henry, Paisami, O'Connor, Creighton and Annan.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
What's the go on Joe Brial and Frankie Goldsborough? Will we see them play much?
Brial looks ready for Super Rugby. Wonder if the Reds having him could help trying to sign his brother the current U18s no.8 (if interested) who has another year of school but looks a hell of a prospect.

Goldsbrough looks too young. Nothing wrong with week in week our Club footy and gym time at this stage for him.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Looks like Taine Roiri is the extra lock, had forgotten about him after his injury but he makes a lot of sense.
He used to play 8 at college, I used to watch him at times. I know his father and uncle , actually coached his uncle (with his grandmother helping) and knew the Whanau real well. @waiopehu oldboy they are the Roiri's from Levin, his dad would be similar age to you,(Martin Jr) went to Nua collge and played more basketball than rugby at college age.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Brial looks ready for Super Rugby. Wonder if the Reds having him could help trying to sign his brother the current U18s no.8 (if interested) who has another year of school but looks a hell of a prospect.

Goldsbrough looks too young. Nothing wrong with week in week our Club footy and gym time at this stage for him.
Given the 41 player squad announced there's a pretty good chance the Reds have named the WTS alongside the full squad, so I wouldn't be too worried about them rushing a guy like Goldsborough as a result. I think it will be good for those guys to be as integrated into the main squad as possible while playing club rugby on the weekend. That said I wouldn't be amazed to see him get a little taste of super rugby in the trial or possibly off the bench in the early rounds before the club season starts. Always good to let them know the level they are aiming for so they keep pushing to improve in the club game.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I’m a bit worried about this selection. I know nothing about the guy and went on to You tube and not one family member or friend has put together a catchy highlights video with gangster rap background music.

Makes me concerned either he’s a dud or this is another one of those age things. Is he big on TikTok???
He would've been a good chance of a debut last year but he did his ACL in the pre-season. He's only young but has been with the wider squad a few years now - he did very well as a lock/backrow playing colts in 21 and 22.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Given the 41 player squad announced there's a pretty good chance the Reds have named the WTS alongside the full squad, so I wouldn't be too worried about them rushing a guy like Goldsborough as a result. I think it will be good for those guys to be as integrated into the main squad as possible while playing club rugby on the weekend. That said I wouldn't be amazed to see him get a little taste of super rugby in the trial or possibly off the bench in the early rounds before the club season starts. Always good to let them know the level they are aiming for so they keep pushing to improve in the club game.

yeah, alluded to here.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hopefully Les Kiss and his team have a bit more of an open mind to the broader squad playing more games (ie: Hospital Cup) even though they might have training commitments during the week. Cannot be bad for their development and for their clubs.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Hopefully Les Kiss and his team have a bit more of an open mind to the broader squad playing more games (ie: Hospital Cup) even though they might have training commitments during the week. Cannot be bad for their development and for their clubs.
I thought this was one area that the Reds have been pretty good on in recent years(COVID bubble excluded), getting the players back to club rugby outside of Super Rugby commitments.
The fringe Wallabies are the ones that had issues been released for club rugby.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Have players actually been missing games? I always thought it was a myth as every week I see lots of players named in club land.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Anything to back this up? Of my knowledge it was only the Australia A players who missed QPR (RA call not QRU).

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Anything to back this up? Of my knowledge it was only the Australia A players who missed QPR (Rugby Australia call not QRU).

It was a World Cup year.

Brad Thorn was a great champion of reds players going back to clubland and I believe Les Kiss will follow suit.

But the powers that be at rugby Australia will pull resources and put them in cotton wool if they need to protect depth during the lead up to the WorldCup

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I am looking at attending a game live next year and was looking at the draw.

Does anyone know why the first game is at 7.05pm but the other games during day light savings start at 6.35pm?

Is it simply because it is too hot in February?