• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Schools Rugby 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rugbywhisperer

Just thought I would start off and give an opening for Qld/Bris schools stuff.
While it is 90% dominated by the GPS schools, there are a plethora of talented players at the AIC and various independent colleges.
Please feel free to add constructive comment.

R

rugbywhisperer

Really looking forward to next years Oz Schools. Qld have some very exciting players coming thru from the 16's as well as many of this year victorious sides backing up again.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
In SA, our schoolboys dont play in any formal competision. We do have some big tournaments on the Easter Weekend to kick the season off but big rugby schools like Paarl Gym or Grey play anually basically the same teams, home one year and away the next year. This brings a lot of travelling for those kids like Grey who is situated in Bloemfontein. Then we have during our June-Jule holidays our provincial Craven Week , who is the showcase of our schoolboy rugby. A big rugby school in SA will have not less then 20 teams in total and the age groups are U14,15,16 & 19. Your U19s usually have 6 to 7 teams.

How does it work in Aus?

R

rugbywhisperer

It depends on where you are.
In Queensland, you have the GPS and AIC and a number of other smaller private school competitions.
For state schools, I think they play in a regional competition as well as a new state competition.
At mid year for opens, we have a state championship contested by 6 teams - 2 from GPS, 2 from AIC and 2 from combined schools.
Of course we also have the club competitins played usually on Saturday or Sunday.
A number of the GPS boys - particularly in Brisbane play club and school

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Where will a 7 year old play his rugby, school or club? At what age do you lot play contact?

(Sorry for the questions but in SA we have a sort of a easy way and structure when it comes to rugby)

R

rugbywhisperer

We have a Pathway for juniors.
Ages 7 and 8 play what is called Walla rugby.small field 70m * 35m, 7 players, small ball, basically tag or touch footy. Very informal to teach basic ball skills and to have FUN
ages 9 and 10 play mini, and this is the first tackle games with ruck and maul
ages 11 and 12 play Midi rugby, 12 a side and introduces many of the concepts needed for 13 years rugby.

A seven year old can play mainly at club however most decent private schools also run a competition of sorts for this age group. The emphasis is definitely on having fun and safety at his age

All my boys came through program. While I am not an advocate of the 'cotton wool approach' of the programs I certainly concede it keeps the mommies happy and gets the kiddies into rugby without the threat of injury.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thanks RW. Look like tag never took off in SA. Touchies is quite popular all over the show and you'll find in Paarl even the homeless (Bergies) will play their touchies along the road. In school our kids are squattered all over the playground playing it with any shape that look like a ball, even empty cooldrink tins or tennis balls. U7 to 9 will play like we call ballet dancing rugby but from U10s its full contact 15 men with proper lineouts & scrums, ELV rules.

Pretty interesting regarding the mommies, I enjoy watching when our 7 year olds play the biggest supporters with the loudest mouths are the Boere mommies. They dont play rugby but broer let their brats take the field, they become quite loud.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
rugbywhisperer said:
Its always good watching the mommies
Trust me , you havent see our fatty lot. Many of them can play prop and just try to argue with them. They not only make their own rules, they let everyone know from the opposite side of the field. I just watch, listen and enjoy. :huxley

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
RW; is the AIC the same as the old TAS? Back when I was in school in Brisbane there was the GPS (9 schools), and the TAS (8 or 10? schools including Marist Brothers, Iona, St Peters, etc). Generally, the GPS was easily the stronger comp though.

R

rugbywhisperer

As far as I can see yes,
All those schools are now in the AIC group and yes, GPS is way way way ahead. It's a shame in one way as the bulk of the talent is hoarded at the GPS schools and only a couple each year sneak through from the AIC and combined schools sides.
On the other hand, the GPS games are a pure delight to watch and it is top notch rugby - very high calibre every week.
I would still like to see the top 4 sides in each Sydney and Brisbane battle it out at end of season.
I just love schoolboy rugby, so fast, enthusiastic and innocent( well mainly innocent).

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I see that a 70 man Junior Reds squad has been announced for Brisbane with further Junior Reds squad announcements to be made for Townsville, Gold and Sunshine Coasts and Darling Downs.

Not sure how old these kids are but good to see the QRU identifying and incentivising in this manner.

R

rugbywhisperer

Most if not all the Brisbane GPS are already at it in preparation for next year.
TSS and State High probably the early favorites.
Nudgee are putting out over 6 training sessions a week - maybe more. TSS elite lads are doing 6, the rest 4 sessions a week.
It is going to be a cracker of a season next year.

R

rugbywhisperer

Churchie will be in good stead with Gary N there holding the reins.
Both could be dark horses this year and both have good players in key positions.
Nudgee are doing I am told 8 sessions week at the moment, TSS are doing 4 plus their elite have 1 and some 2 NTS sessions.
can't speak for State yet but I predict the 4th round match up between TSS v State - will be match of the year - probably decide the premier

T

TOCC

I know St Laurences used to have a 'development squad' which would run from October through to pre-season, training on the holidays around 5 times/week, added session when school was on.

I dont know if they still have coach '2008 QLD Coach of the Year' Pat Richards, he coached the SLC 1st XV undefeated in 2008 and also coached Easts in Premier Rugby to a Grand Final win.

R

rugbywhisperer

That's a pretty good effort considering the training times and frequencies involved.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Mark Stevenson is the new Terrace First XV Coach.

Anyone know anything of him? Former State High and Nudgee coach is he?

R

rugbywhisperer

TSS are looking good and big.
The lads are exceptionally fit and start actual team drills and plays this week. The backline is particularly sharp - with 5 of the 7 in the NTS it should be. The forwards are big and again very fit and mobile.
First trial is 18 March, 10 trial matches in all including a trip to Canberra to play St.Eddys on 14 April and back to Sydney to play Barker on 16 April

Status
Not open for further replies.