• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Randwick Vs Argentina 7/9 @ Coogee

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Sydney’s five Wicks - Mitch Short, Will Harrison, Ben Donaldson, Christian Poidevin and James Ramm - have all been released to play against Argentina.

The status of the Country Eagles players - Ned Hanigan, Dave Vea and Triston Reilly - is less clear but it is believed they are all interested in donning the bottle green.

So will the Eagle release these guys?, should be a good afternoon

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/09/02/argentina-randwick-players-nrc

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Can't wait for Randwick to get spanked by a B Argentina side to shut up all the diehards who scream from the rooftops:

"The Shute Shield is the heart and soul of Australian rugby!"

"The Shute Shield grassroots (read: a semi-professional competition that fields only a handful of teams in the open grade per club that is inaccessible to the casual fan or player) are being neglected!"

"Randwick 1st Grade could do a better job than the Wallabies!"

"Let's return to the early 90s in terms strategy, conditioning, and professionalism!"

And my favourite:

"Brett Papworth is actually a good bloke who adds a lot to the Australian Rugby community through full mastery of his own ego!"

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Sour grapes, mate.

For the amount of flack the rest of Australian Rugby gets from the Shute Shield, I don't think they should complain when they get a little back.

FYI - I'm a 24 year old Sydney boy who attended a GPS School, not a furious Westerner. I should be the poster boy of Shute Shield fandom.

The Force emblem was only adopted in solidarity with them following their removal.

I've only ever attended 2 Shute Shield games in my life. This could be my 3rd.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There is an incredible depth of Australia's rugby history bound up in the Shute Shield. Randwick, of course, are a huge part of that. Randwick's running rugby and radical backline formations changed our game for the better, and led to a fair bit of success.

Not only that, but they have produced some pretty handy coaches.

I am a 77 year old former Sydney boy who attended a High School which no longer plays rugby, and am enormously proud of my involvement with Eastwood since I attended my first game at the age of 10 or so.

Not sure what the point of this all is, though. Randwick playing Argentina is a wonderful idea, and I only wish I could be there to watch it. Some of my best rugby mates were Randwick stalwarts, Peter Johnson in particular.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I would suggest that is your issue

Hey! I've watched it on TV too.

3 actually - Uni vs. Randwick at Coogee, 2 x Norths vs Sydney Grand Finals at North Sydney.

All 3 had beer queues that were about 30 minutes long.

The last I'll say on this is:

I just get sick of when people herald it as top-tier football when the defence is appalling. I knew about 10-12 people who waltzed into 1st grade as 21 year olds when a few of them weren't even particularly good players in their younger years.

Combine that with a fact that most of them played hungover most Saturdays (apparently not uncommon in 1st Grade) and their attitude to strength and conditioning was "pick up a dumbbell once a month", if the Shute Shield wants to be the 3rd tier of Australian rugby it really needs to pull its socks up.

It's fine for what it is: a niche Suburban Club competition.

When it demands to be more, that's when I get annoyed.

I am looking forward to the game this weekend though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Shute Shield is shit and only worth attending cause drinking beers in the sun is ace and North Sydney oval is very pleasant.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Shute Shield is shit and only worth attending cause drinking beers in the sun is ace and North Sydney oval is very pleasant.

Or standing between the sausage sizzle and beer trailer at Coogee

Or standing between on the terrace @ Milner

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It is definitely shit for supporters of a visiting team at Camperdown, that is surely not in question?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It is definitely shit for supporters of a visiting team at Camperdown, that is surely not in question?
Got to say, I do it tough there, I sit right next to their vip/hospitality section.
They get good stuff delivered regularly, and I suffer badly from food envy.

There’s a 2 guys in their jackets that yell out ridiculous things all day, it’s only worth noting as they are only two of them.

To be fair, they probably have a higher cumulative IQ than the Marlins hill, and about the same number of teeth :)

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
No idea of the strength of Randwick in relative terms.

To put things into perspective.

The "Jaguares XV" (not the Super Rugby team, but their minnow brothers) absolutely waltzed through the Currie Cup first division and won the title without breaking a sweat.

jag.JPG

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I just get sick of when people herald it as top-tier football when the defence is appalling. I knew about 10-12 people who waltzed into 1st grade as 21 year olds when a few of them weren't even particularly good players in their younger years.
Not doubting anything your saying but to offer a contrasting observation, watching Shute Shield this year it was interesting that the starting Junior Wallabies Winger Nawaqanitawase looked like a boy among men playing 1st Grade and was often relegated to the bench. Now he's not 21 but he's the best in his position at his age (especially as he's still U20 eligible next year) according to Junior Wallabies selectors.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
No idea of the strength of Randwick in relative terms.

To put things into perspective.

The "Jaguares XV" (not the Super Rugby team, but their minnow brothers) absolutely waltzed through the Currie Cup first division and won the title without breaking a sweat.

jag.JPG
They didn't even make the finals. You'd think they'd at least be playing Uni.

Should be roughly 70 - 0 by halftime

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It would be great to throw in a full strength Randwick.

Beale, Kepu and who ever else they have