• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RD 17: Crusaders v Rebels

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
So both team coming off a loss, expect the Saders to make the Rebels look very average unfortunately.

I would be happy to see a B team sent to Christchurch and rest players in hope that a win next week is enough.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
To channel the guys on the loose GAGR podcast .......

We are gonna get farkin pummmmmmmped

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm not looking forward to writing the preview for this one. Still too traumatised from last Friday night :(

Rug&tug

Stan Wickham (3)
So both team coming off a loss, expect the Saders to make the Rebels look very average unfortunately.

I would be happy to see a B team sent to Christchurch and rest players in hope that a win next week is enough.

That seems like a decent plan to me.
At the very least, Rangi,Philip, Genia,Quade,hodge ,dhp and Koro should be given the week off imo. More if possible..
Don’t mind Coleman playing as he seems to building up a bit of steam

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's a cold front due Thursday night/ Friday morning & even if the rain has gone by Friday night it'll be breezy & cold, barely double-digits at any point during the day. If Crusaders keep playing as if it's early April rather than early June a full-strength Rebs are a definite chance.

mexiwi

Bob McCowan (2)
There's a cold front due Thursday night/ Friday morning & even if the rain has gone by Friday night it'll be breezy & cold, barely double-digits at any point during the day.

So beach weather then :)

Be interesting to see what the Crusaders do team wise. They have a bye for round 18 so they can either give some guys 2 weeks off, or go full strength and get things back on track before finals knowing they still get a rest the week after.

Matching that with who the Rebels rest it will be either B team v B team, or A v A or B v A, or A v B.

Unfortunately I can only see possibly one of those combos not involving a pumping for the Rebels.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
So beach weather then :)

Be interesting to see what the Crusaders do team wise. They have a bye for round 18 so they can either give some guys 2 weeks off, or go full strength and get things back on track before finals knowing they still get a rest the week after.

Matching that with who the Rebels rest it will be either B team v B team, or A v A or B v A, or A v B.

Unfortunately I can only see possibly one of those combos not involving a pumping for the Rebels.
If they start the team and play as poor as did against the Tahs and it's a Rebels A side maybe.

Otherwise agree

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I remember last year when the Tahs had a pretty awful loss to the Blues at home they headed over to Christchurch and almost came away with an upset. I reckon the Rebels will give the Crusaders a run for their money.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Will Genia won't be playing this match. According to the Herald Sun Genia has been left in Melbourne. The Rebels may also rest or bench Quade Cooper and Marika Koroibete.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
yes, having just watched the Rebels training session (NOT a captain's run either) no Genia, cant confirm bench (but think Scooter is correct about a complete rest), but English appears to be starting on left wing, Meakes and Hodge in the centres and To'omua at 10. Pack seems unchanged, ? Uelese starting. Interesting they are not travelling till tomorrow it appears ? cost saving ? trying a new approach ? Also noted Wessels have a long deep and meaningful with a player.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Team v Saders.​
Ins: Harrison Goddard, Jordan Uelese
Outs: Will Genia, Hugh Roach
1. Tetera Faulkner
2. Jordan Uelese
3. Sam Talakai
4. Matt Philip
5. Adam Coleman
6. Angus Cottrell
7.Richard Hardwick
8.Isi Naisarani
9. Michael Ruru
10. Matt To'omua
11. Tom English
12. Bill Meakes
13. Reece Hodge
14. Jack Maddocks
15. Dane Haylett-Petty (c)
Replacements
16. Anaru Rangi
17. Matt Gibbon
18. Jermaine Ainsley
19. Luke Jones
20. Ross Haylett-Petty
21. Harrison Goddard
22. Quade Cooper
23. Marika Koroibete

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It’d be nice to get a point from this game, it would open up a few more scenarios heading into the final week where we can make the finals.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Not a bad mix - rests the players that need resting but not throwing in a complete "b"b team either. Doesn't make me any less nervous, though. if the Saders aren't scary enough, they will be fired up after losing to the Chiefs!

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Very solid defensive backline, a point from this game would be a huge.

Looking at the fixtures, anyone from 6 to 10 in the ladder could end up in the top 8, pretty much every match for every team is a "must-win", can easily see myself watching 3-5 matches

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
'Saders team.

Crusaders: David Havili, Sevu Reece, Jack Goodhue, Ryan Crotty, Braydon Ennor, Richie Mo'unga, Bryn Hall, Kieran Read, Matt Todd, Whetukamokamo Douglas, Sam Whitelock (captain), Scott Barrett, Michael Ala'alatoa, Andrew Makalio, Joe Moody. Reserves: Ben Funnell, Tim Perry, George Bower, Luke Romano, Jordan Taufua, Ere Enari, Brett Cameron, Ngane Punivai.