• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
So, after a very good season, let down by that sadly disappointing final round performance, it's time to look towards next year. My goal for next year is not necessarily finals, but the need to maintain this momentum and turnaround in form, the so that there's no regression to the mean, like the Force have done this year. Consequently, 6-10 wins, including a couple overseas would be my benchmark. As of this point, the transition looks like this, with new signings in italics:

25 are contracted for 2016 and Beyond:

Cruze Ah-Nau (Prop)
Cam Crawford (Wing/Fullback)
Steve Cummins (Lock)
Jack Debreczeni (Flyhalf)
Tamati Ellison (Center)
Tom English (Center/Wing)
Colby Fainga'a (Flanker)
Scott Fuglistaller (Flanker)
Mike Harris (Center/Fullback)
James Hanson (Hooker)
Mitch Inman (Center)
Sam Jeffries (Lock)
Luke Jones (Lock)
Pat Leafa (Hooker)
Sean McMahon (Flanker)
Ben Meehan (Scrum Half)
Sefanaia Naivalu (Centre/Wing)
Jonah Placid (Fullback)
Jordy Reid (Flanker)
Dom Shipperly (Wing)
Siliva Siliva (Hooker)
Toby Smith (Prop)
Nic Stirzaker (Scrum Half)
Lopeti Timani (Lock/Number 8)
Laurie Weeks (Prop)

6 Confirmed to Leave:
Paul Alo-Emile (Stade Francais)
Luke Burgess (Zebre)
Scott Higgenbotham (Japan- Side to be Confirmed)
Kieta Inagaki (Japanese Super Rugby)
Caydern Neville (QLD Reds)
EDIT 17/6: Telusa Veainu (TBC)

7 In Limbo:
Jed Gillespie (Prop)
Bryce Hegarty (Fly Half/Full back)
Tom Kingston (Winger/Center)
Tim Metcher (Prop)
Radike Samo (Lock/Number 8)
Tom Sexton (Hooker)
Ben Whittaker (Hooker)

From the final list, I'd be re-signing both Props, Hegarty, and one of the wingers. Samo is past it, we don't need both wingers, and we have signed on 3 hookers already. That would give us 29 of 36 players (Assuming a similar squad size to 2015).

If that was to take place, I believe we need at least: a backup tighthead, a third string scrum half, and either a Number 8, or an experienced lock to allow Timani to play the number 8 role. The other 4 positions would be more discretionary, but in an ideal world it would include another outright blindside or number 8, and another experienced head to be able to play in either centers or an alternate at fly half.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
So PAE is a done deal to France on one of those lovely contracts that by coincidence will qualify him as eligible for Les Bleus.

As he's a step closer to camp Wallaby, should he earn a cap, would that shift the grounds of his French contract?

That giant nsw winger apparently had a specific clause in his Scots contract regarding Wallabies eligibility and caps.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
That was for Edinburgh.

Too many syllables will be making his way to the west sayeed come hell or high water.

Eligibility may factor into it, but the primary reason they signed him is that their 2 first string tightheads, the Frenchy and the Georgian are going to the RWC 100% and he's a fabulous option.

If in his almighty wisdom, TGC decides to take him to RWC, I don't think opening negotiations with the Pinkies would be out of the Question if the highheidyins at Wallaby HQ chose to do so. Actually getting a release would be a different story though.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Sione Tuipolotu needs to be signed, be it on an extended squad contract or in the main squad. He is one for the future and someone that we could build a very attacking game plan around. He sort of reminds me of Nonu in terms of hard straight running with a good step, he is developing a good passing game as well. Even if he is used as a dummy runner he would suck in a defender or two to stop him anyway.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Sione Tuipolotu needs to be signed, be it on an extended squad contract or in the main squad. He is one for the future and someone that we could build a very attacking game plan around. He sort of reminds me of Nonu in terms of hard straight running with a good step, he is developing a good passing game as well. Even if he is used as a dummy runner he would suck in a defender or two to stop him anyway.

He's still very very rough and was found out defensively at 13 a lot in the past two U20's games.

Also he's extremely young, being born in 1997. Currently he's in the Rebels' Academy, but no formal contract as of yet.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Looks like Veianu is off.

076c8d03ce0cf75af231be604424ca49.jpg

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Criminal waste. Good luck to him wherever he goes. Looking forward to another year of the Tom and Dom show.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Are the Rebels players playing for local clubs or can they return to the Shute Shield/QLD Clubs this season?

Kingston and Jed Gillespie are returning by the looks of it?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Based on last season, the VRU will make players allocated to the Rising stay in Victoria to play Dewar Shield. They could opt out altogether, but there was only 2 or so rounds before finals, so that might not be the case this season. Think Ben Meehan and Sean McMahon tried to go back and play in Queensland, but got pulled up.

Obviously Jed and Tom are going back, the rest probably depends on a number of factors including post season surgery. Wouldn't be surprised to some combination of Whittaker, Weeks, Cummins, Jeffries, Reid, English and Crawford to return depending on all the factors going on.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Are the Rebels players playing for local clubs or can they return to the Shute Shield/QLD Clubs this season?

Kingston and Jed Gillespie are returning by the looks of it?
Based on last season, the VRU will make players allocated to the Rising stay in Victoria to play Dewar Shield. They could opt out altogether, but there was only 2 or so rounds before finals, so that might not be the case this season. Think Ben Meehan and Sean McMahon tried to go back and play in Queensland, but got pulled up.

Obviously Jed and Tom are going back, the rest probably depends on a number of factors including post season surgery. Wouldn't be surprised to some combination of Whittaker, Weeks, Cummins, Jeffries, Reid, English and Crawford to return depending on all the factors going on.

i would think that gillespie and kingston returning to sydney is evidence they are surplus to Rebel requirements in 2016. the remainder are officially playing club rugby in Victoria and would suspect they will continue in Dewar Shield/Rising till next season

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Unfortunately re Telusa the writing seemed to be on the wall. You can't really blame him based on lack of opportunities this year.

Huge shame given he has some x factor and given the way he carved up for Rising last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.