• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I like. We could use his speed. High ball good. Cover defence great. How is his defense otherwise?

Average Outside Center

Herbert Moran (7)
Got to say, i'm hoping Morgan Turinui can do some wonders with the backs next year as I see it, Tony is not shaping a gameplan that can unlock the backs potential. Sefa is possibly the only person in Aus playing S18 that can turn nothing into something off his raw ability. Why is it that we are not utilizing this to its full potential, instead it seems to be 'hey give it to inman and see if he can run through a brick wall'. Bitta flair in the playmakers would go a long way imo

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Bloody hell, Koroibete looks like an absolute jet. Big early call but his speed and step reminds me of Rupeni Caucau...

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Bloody hell, Koroibete looks like an absolute jet. Big early call but his speed and step reminds me of Rupeni Caucau.

Sorry to burst the bubble, but Caucau at the Blues was better than Lomu, Campese and anyone else you'd like to mention. After he went to France, stopped training and put on 20kg, he was still the best winger in French domestic rugby. If you're comparing him with the French version then maybe the comparison is valid; but no one has ever come close to being in the same league as Rupeni at the Blues.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Got to say, i'm hoping Morgan Turinui can do some wonders with the backs next year as I see it, Tony is not shaping a gameplan that can unlock the backs potential. Sefa is possibly the only person in Aus playing S18 that can turn nothing into something off his raw ability. Why is it that we are not utilizing this to its full potential, instead it seems to be 'hey give it to inman and see if he can run through a brick wall'. Bitta flair in the playmakers would go a long way imo

Because somebody (Inman) needs to go forward others (Sefa) can run against an under resourced jockeying defense and not the brick wall you mentioned.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
The one thing I will never understand is why Inman was not converted to a forward when he was younger. His a good build to play 6 or 8, his nearly 6'3 and weigh's 105kg. Also has the passing game of a forward, don't get why everyone has persisted with him in the backs for all these years.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The one thing I will never understand is why Inman was not converted to a forward when he was younger. His a good build to play 6 or 8, his nearly 6'3 and weigh's 105kg. Also has the passing game of a forward, don't get why everyone has persisted with him in the backs for all these years.

Because he's an excellent defender in space and actually has a reasonable passing game?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Because he's an excellent defender in space and actually has a reasonable passing game?

Defender yes, passing game is a massive no. If he had that he would be a unreal center. You could count the amount of passes he makes a game on one hand.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Defender yes, passing game is a massive no. If he had that he would be a unreal center. You could count the amount of passes he makes a game on one hand.

Do you not think that's part of TT's game plan?

In addition to having a fine passing game, Mitch has a great knowledge of the angles and footwork a center has to use.

The reality is you could make a case for plenty of back rowers and centers to switch, and they'd do a fine job given time and coaching, but the decision for them to play where they play has been made for a reason.

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
From Fox Sports Rugby -

"While his heart may still say Storm, Koroibete’s head said rugby union, with the massive joint offer from the Rebels and Australian Rugby Union, who view him as a future Wallaby, too good to refuse.
“I’d like to have stayed,” Koroibete said."

Sounds like this guy is really excited about his new job at the Rebels!

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
From Fox Sports Rugby -

"While his heart may still say Storm, Koroibete’s head said rugby union, with the massive joint offer from the Rebels and Australian Rugby Union, who view him as a future Wallaby, too good to refuse.
“I’d like to have stayed,” Koroibete said."

Sounds like this guy is really excited about his new job at the Rebels!

Sounds more like NRL media trying to disrupt the Storm in the week of the final.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yes perhaps in open play but realistically off almost every set play is that needed?

Yes, even if you don't use the option of the crash baller, is it important he's there running that line to create the space. Even off set piece.

Sounds more like NRL media trying to disrupt the Storm in the week of the final.

It's all a bit silly. The actual quotes are so short and so vague, who knows the context.

This is a guy who's going to the code of his childhood, in the city he already lives in. Would he be THAT jaded?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
You don't think that that becomes predictable? Not to mention limiting of the moves it the 12 consistently only runs that line?

Only if you do it in a predictable way. Different angles/running lines and mixing up the balance between distribution and taking contact.

This is common sense rugby, every coach will implement it differently but every coach will do it.

Plus, I never said 12. Mitch and other 'crashballers' play 12 and 13, depending on what the coach wants (and often changing play to play).

Average Outside Center

Herbert Moran (7)
Only if you do it in a predictable way. Different angles/running lines and mixing up the balance between distribution and taking contact.

This is common sense rugby, every coach will implement it differently but every coach will do it.

Plus, I never said 12. Mitch and other 'crashballers' play 12 and 13, depending on what the coach wants (and often changing play to play).

Agreed but i think its limiting is all, not calling for the blokes axing just saying variety needs to be used. Another note is that it rarely breaks the line, and also allows less time and space for back if the crash ball is done and then sending the ball wide. As there is not extra 10m/5m to play with and more people will be defending in the line

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Agreed but i think its limiting is all, not calling for the blokes axing just saying variety needs to be used. Another note is that it rarely breaks the line, and also allows less time and space for back if the crash ball is done and then sending the ball wide. As there is not extra 10m/5m to play with and more people will be defending in the line

A lot of this just isn't accurate.

1) If you win the contact battle, there are not more people defending because they've got to get around the breakdown.
2) Even presuming you go wide first faze, you need threatening ball runners at angles holding up the defense.
3) This is not limiting, it's the cornerstone of every first phase of attack any team runs.

It'd probably be easier to explain if it was a mixture of verbal and on paper and not on a forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.