• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
In terms of 10 I don't think we need a player to Wow. We need an organised distributor who can use the guys outside him. I also think McIntyre is a bit underrated as he underplays his hand most of the time. I've watched him play quite a bit and he has a real level head that is required at Super level.
I just like the fact we have a few up and coming options and aren't banking on an ageing has been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Kinda surprised Dalgleish never got a chance, still an AUS un20 flyhalf, but wouldn't be surprised to see Mason or Moseley carve up Qld u20 and then we all rave about them for 2017, especially if Mcintyre fails to wow.

Mosley still rehabbing the ACL injury from last year, not sure if he will be ready for the u20 start at the end of Feb. Mack Mason would be a good option under the wing of his former Churchie and now u20 coach Jason Gilmore.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
In terms of 10 I don't think we need a player to Wow. We need an organised distributor who can use the guys outside him. I also think McIntyre is a bit underrated as he underplays his hand most of the time. I've watched him play quite a bit and he has a real level head that is required at Super level.
I just like the fact we have a few up and coming options and aren't banking on an ageing has been.

I'm just concerned he doesnt have the leadership to steer the team, which was the highlight of genia and quade, they did all the talking and the directing. Whilst I'm sure Mcintyre is a good distributor, I'm worried it's not enough. Outside him there are some good players, but again, no real leaders and communicators that can direct the play, direct the players and take the game by the horns, maybe except hunt who is still relatively green in that regards in union. If Conrad Smith, or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) some such was playing outside centre, or we had another leader at all out wide, then I would be confident that there would be an effective balance.

I think it's the reason that the force have predominately struggled, lacking a 'General' playmaker or an outside leader, and something the rebels have started to gain by having Harris AND Ellison, to provide stability and leadership to the skills of debraczini

T

TOCC

True there are no real leaders in the backline... Hmm you obviously have Karmichael but he is a rugby greenhorn.

These sort of circumstances provide an opportunity for the likes of Kerevi and CFS to assume a greater role in the team.

Frisby has served a good apprenticeship as well, whether or not he likes it he is now the senior halves partner and needs to step up.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Different tack. I think the signing of Eto Nabuli is a good one. There are a few fitness issues to overcome, but if he can regain the form of 2013 when he scored 29 tries in NSW Cup with the wolves he'll be a great addition. Give him an overlap or a high ball and he'll score.

(Turn down the sound. The music will drive you nuts)

T

TOCC

I was disappointed when CFS was injured for QLD Country, because his form for Souths at the end of last year was fantastic

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Taefu wasn't, and a related social media post this morning seemed to indicate this.

Tui was announced last year I think, though with no contract details

dru

Tim Horan (67)
In terms of 10 I don't think we need a player to Wow. We need an organised distributor who can use the guys outside him.

Been thinking about this. I guess it depends what we mean by wow. Imo you need someone in the back line who creates space and opportunity. Surely 10 is usually going to be the best slot for this?

Its not just distribution. Yes we can create opportunity with planned moves and speed. But broken play is a lot of the game.

While slight of hand and miracle passes are useful in a 10, they are not necessary. Otoh a skillset that is solely distribution is not good enough at this level. Imo.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Happy to see Taefu get in there to an extent. A solid 12 @ 6ft 100kg, but with play making experience. Had a good combo with Kerevi, took his fair share of ball into contact but with an added level of distribution to his game.
With Taefu, Kerevi as mainly 12's, Magnay, Sautia and Perese all capable of playing 13, Hunt as a utility and Lagi Setu a potential bolter maybbbe in 2016 but probs waiting to be a NRC starter.

Not to far out there to think either A) Fainga'a twins are on their last season OR B) they could both stay on much fairly low $ contracts OR C), just Saia will be offered a 2017 extension, and even that may be at the lower end.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Would imagine that if Ready gets 3 or 4 starts and a dozen appearances off the bench, plus another NRC Season, You'd be willing to gamble with just him, Moore and Mafi, letting both Finger twins go.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yep agreed. Mafi is no slouch either. Big unit, Aus u20, got Brad Thorn to Coach him, should be NRC starter as well this year.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Richard Graham just got interviewed on Grandstand.

Highlights were:

Ben Daley confirmed as Slipper's replacement while hurt.

Graham was prickly about naming a replacement captain - "it's my decision and I'll make it when I'm ready. We'll know before the Crusaders trial"

Karmichael Hunt has put last year's dramas behind him and is now "focusing on fulfilling his role as a fullback"

Nicholson tried to draw Graham in to confirmed McIntyre as the starting 10, but Graham didn't confirm or deny. Just let it slide.

Graham "not worried by the pressure." He says he doesn't read the media at all, so has no idea about what people are saying and cares even less. But five minutes earlier he said that his direct report to Dan Herbert "took the pressure off me".

Sounds to me like he's had a few answers drilled in to him by the media department.

Also said Goromaru's transition to Super Rugby would be fine because Hendrik Tui speaks fluent Japanese.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Happy to see Taefu get in there to an extent. A solid 12 @ 6ft 100kg, but with play making experience. Had a good combo with Kerevi, took his fair share of ball into contact but with an added level of distribution to his game.
With Taefu, Kerevi as mainly 12's, Magnay, Sautia and Perese all capable of playing 13, Hunt as a utility and Lagi Setu a potential bolter maybbbe in 2016 but probs waiting to be a NRC starter.

Not to far out there to think either A) Fainga'a twins are on their last season OR B) they could both stay on much fairly low $ contracts OR C), just Saia will be offered a 2017 extension, and even that may be at the lower end.
How big is Perese?

From what I recall from NRC he was not that big. Would he be big enough for 13?

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
How big is Perese?

Definitely not big enough. "5'11" (maybe) and "91 kg" (definitely not. Low-mid 80s)

And ultimately, not defensively sound at 17/18 years of age

T

TOCC

Here's a breakdown of the current squad and where they were born, i found it interesting although not really relevant:

QLD-13
NSW- 9
NZ - 9
Samoa- 2
Fiji - 2
VIC - 1
PNG - 1
Tonga - 1
Japan - 1

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
How big is Perese?

He played 13 for Aus Schoolboy in 2014, Magnay was 13 for AUS un20 in 2015 I think, both are eligible for U20 again this year.

But no he's not very big at all

Status
Not open for further replies.