• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
That's the first current Reds squad member leaving to another franchise that I spoke about last week. Apparently it hasn't been well received by other players, he's very well liked by the playing group but was told he could look elsewhere.

One more to go!

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If you recall, he and JP were suspended back in 2018 by Thorn for missing a session as instead they were out 'socializing'. Not sure if JP has been given the same directive as Ruan, although he's had two surgeries this offseason so the market probably isn't as strong for him.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
If you recall, he and JP were suspended back in 2018 by Thorn for missing a session as instead they were out 'socializing'. Not sure if JP has been given the same directive as Ruan, although he's had two surgeries this offseason so the market probably isn't as strong for him.
Ah hah, good memory PC.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wow thats a surprise, I wonder if they’ve managed to sign someone else then..

Queensland Rugby Long Lunch is next week, thats usually where they make an announcement or two. Previous years they’ve done all the squads, but most positions had been filled, up until now.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hopefully none of them. I don’t think any look ready.

I’d like a more experienced front rower... older head

But if a prop gets promoted from the wider training group it would be good to see a NRC talent elevated to wider training group.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think historically that is correct, however I thought JP upped his game a far bit in their stint with the Reds, particularly in 2018 (they probably both went backwards a bit in 2019).

Both of them are pretty handy though and I would have thought they would both be regular members of our 2020 best 23.

I am surprised Ruan was given the okay to negotiate unless their is a front line replacement who is signed which we don’t know about. Thorns’ youth strategy looks like it will yield dividends over the next 2-3 years, but this clearly weakens our front row stocks IMO.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Ruan is the tighthead, he was considered the better of the two, was first to sign with the Brumbies a few years ago and then in Japan. JP seemed to get a few more starts last year though, I'm guessing because Ruan was competing with Taniela.

I've heard Kirwan Sanday name thrown around as possible signing for Reds next year. Apparently he's had some short term contracts in Japan last year. Haven't seen him play for ages so not sure whether thats a good thing or not.

B

Bobby Sands

Australian Schoolboys today, QLD has produced 11 of the 23. Not bad.

Reactions: dru
B

Bobby Sands

Just wait to you have posters complaining that player "x" has slipped through the Reds fingers because clearly all 11 should be in the development program

Not at all.

Just happy that we are producing, especially now that our players are selected at the same age as nsw.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just wait to you have posters complaining that player "x" has slipped through the Reds fingers because clearly all 11 should be in the development program

Not our fault as fans we produce the most talent But only have a limited amount of jobs at reds.

The reason we complain is because “player x who slips between our fingers” has generally been a superior player to a guy dumb ass Cordingly decided to sign.

There’s been a shirt though with Thorn keeping the right players. Ever since he has come on board the talent evaluation seems to have gotten better. I don’t know if it’s related in anyway but that year Thorn had coaching QLD Country was awesome.

B

Bobby Sands

Australia just scored one of the GREAT tries!!

This next generation really is sublime.