• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Can Uru partner with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) in the second row, that would be a solid lock pairing

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Nether are a real lineout technician. We need desperately a Geoff Parling type, a genuine 2m monster who can run a lineout and make heaps of tackles.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Nether are a real lineout technician. We need desperately a Geoff Parling type, a genuine 2m monster who can run a lineout and make heaps of tackles.

A replacement for Rodda and Hockings? Big shoes (no pun intended) to fill, especially as Hockings was so young and was our developing option.

Hopefully Blyth ups his game but he wants to be more a Botha/Rettalick then a Matfield/Williams

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Good to see Big Kev, Genia, Quade, Gill all back in Brisbane. What’s Gill up to?
Hopefully having a run for Sunnybank , they could do with his presence.

Would be a nice back up for the Reds.

Fraser is killing it , and Wright a very handy 7 , but strife after that , the rest are back rowers not 7’s

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hopefully having a run for Sunnybank , they could do with his presence.

Would be a nice back up for the Reds.

Fraser is killing it , and Wright a very handy 7 , but strife after that , the rest are back rowers not 7’s

Fairly certain the cost of even insuring him for his Japanese club would be more $ then the Reds could afford to pay him to be a 3rd choice fill in 7...

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Seeing that thumping kick Vunivalu put in last night, I'd be keen to move Hegarty to bench, Flipio to one wing and Vunivalu to the back?

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Seeing that thumping kick Vunivalu put in last night, I'd be keen to move Hegarty to bench, Flipio to one wing and Vunivalu to the back?

Petaia will be back soon. Back three of filipo, vunivalu and petaia would pack some punch.
Would like to see how Petaia goes at 15.
Hegarty and Campbell look a bit out of their depth at the next level.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Petaia will be back soon. Back three of filipo, vunivalu and petaia would pack some punch.
Would like to see how Petaia goes at 15.
Hegarty and Campbell look a bit out of their depth at the next level.

Vunivalu definitely showed his class, ticker and natural ability last night but I still think that Campbell deserves a go again at Fullback. I just cannot think of one game where Campbell has played well on the wing. It's not even like he's playing as a wing/fullback hybrid when selected at 11. Based on his games at fullback though I would argue he is definitely at the level of Super Rugby and I recall he had a break out game against an NZ team last year. He's brave in contact, can step, passes okay and kicks decently, most importantly though he seems to just get the ball in the right places and at the right time when he's at 15. Vunivalu is doing very well on the wing so far and no reason he can't come in looking for work more like he did in the second half last night.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I like Campbell at fullback. If they aren’t going to pick him there then pick Daugunu on the wing and put Campbell on the bench.

I don’t understand the strategy with Campbell & Hegarty together. I guess that Thorn can say they won the Super AU with that configuration but, to me, Daugunu should be starting.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
I like Campbell at fullback. If they aren’t going to pick him there then pick Daugunu on the wing and put Campbell on the bench.

I don’t understand the strategy with Campbell & Hegarty together. I guess that Thorn can say they won the Super AU with that configuration but, to me, Daugunu should be starting.

I don't understand it either. It seems though that Hegarty is doing exactly what he's being told though because he's not being hooked. The continuous short kicking from our own 22 is especially perplexing.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If I recall correctly the Reds short kicking game did lead to a couple quick tries last night.

None of them for us, mind you, but clearly they are keeping the score board ticking over.

Jokes aside, the reality is that you do need to have variety in your kicking game - so I don’t mind the use of the short kick in principle, but if your execution is poor you get the result we did last night.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Can anyone identify this lad?

05D0C5C0-A975-453E-A1A5-004DDA17E2AB.jpeg

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
A replacement for Rodda and Hockings? Big shoes (no pun intended) to fill, especially as Hockings was so young and was our developing option.

Hopefully Blyth ups his game but he wants to be more a Botha/Rettalick then a Matfield/Williams

Anyone know if Hockings is coming back? He has the head of a 16yo kid but has the frame for the job.

Got a little bit penalty-happy up in Top League as the season went on.

J

JeepsTragic

I think its concerning that Hoopert has been recalled to the bench tonight. He was completely destroyed at scrum time last weekend in club land. So much so, that Brothers coach hooked him before he was yellow carded. How will he hold up a scrum against the kiwi's?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I think its concerning that Hoopert has been recalled to the bench tonight. He was completely destroyed at scrum time last weekend in club land. So much so, that Brothers coach hooked him before he was yellow carded. How will he hold up a scrum against the kiwi's?
The Brothers’ scrum has not been good this year , but at least part of the problem is what is lacking in behind the front row. It’s not all up to the props .

J

JeepsTragic

The Brothers’ scrum has not been good this year , but at least part of the problem is what is lacking in behind the front row. It’s not all up to the props .

Maybe, but the GPS locks were reasonably lightweight as well, so it wasn't like he was packing down against a monster pack.

Loose head has been a problem for the reds all year. It was a mistake for the Reds to let JP Smith go. But in saying that Fotuaika has stepped up and is improving every game.