• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Gervais_rugbylives

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don't think there should be a massive focus on signing kids straight out of school. There are plenty of young 20ish year olds who have played in QPR or in other comps against men and I think that should be the focus. I am not surprised that the reds have not signed a bunch of teens. On top of that, money doesn't grow on trees and they forked out some cash for our new super winger, so I doubt they want to be splashing on unproven kids. A smart move is to keep an eye on the development of players at other franchises and sign them once they have proven themselves. The rebels have a pretty smart system ;P

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
There’s a limit to how many young lads you can sign , at the end of the day you really only sign the one you absolutely don’t want to lose. Think the rest are best served developing their games in QPR or the like.

The big loss in my mind is the reduction to the Academy systems . The off/preseason S&C in particular for some of these young lads trying to mix it with men. Think a preseason with the Academy into a season of QPR is a great combination of both physical and game development.

Look at the talent that has come out of the Aussie U20’s from last year. There’s been next to no Academy this year and probably little next year as well with an U20 RWC unlikely . That’s potentially two years of under developed / lost talent.

Gervais_rugbylives

Allen Oxlade (6)
Look at the squad from 2020. In covid times, they want to sign men that can step up if required. My opinion is that these kids need to be signed as academy players with the clause that they must play QPR at the very least. I do have some insider knowledge of academy players and those who have signed, and I will say the focus is on those who have proven themselves. I will also say that the academy players should train with the best coaches possible to learn, and not be put into hard core academy training while they are also trying to play QPR every week.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^Yep , preseason with the Academy/ greater training squad and then back to clubland come February with maybe just skills/ position specific session back with the Academy on a Wednesday once QPR kicks off.

They get the physical development of a pro setup and the rugby development of playing regularly against men , along with the overview of what they want in your position specific development.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don't think there should be a massive focus on signing kids straight out of school. There are plenty of young 20ish year olds who have played in QPR or in other comps against men and I think that should be the focus. I am not surprised that the reds have not signed a bunch of teens. On top of that, money doesn't grow on trees and they forked out some cash for our new super winger, so I doubt they want to be splashing on unproven kids. A smart move is to keep an eye on the development of players at other franchises and sign them once they have proven themselves. The rebels have a pretty smart system ;P

biggest issues is that not all teams and codes play by the same rules, and if one club or team is going to sign the most promising 18 or 19 year olds to multi-year contracts, then it forces other codes and teams to do the same to lock up the promising young talent. Despite the fact it will be a couple of years before they get a return on them, outside of the occasional freak who can step up early.

Kind of wish all codes did something similar to US College sport, make young athletes go play college sport for a couple of years before being eligible for professional sport. But it would require an unprecedented agreement across all the major codes.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
That is a big loss. Jojo and Jack Howarth to league sucks big time. It’s confirmed that Mason Gordon (BBC) and David Vaihu (GT) are off to the Rebels next week. Are there any players worth mentioning that the Reds have signed from this year’s school leavers? We just lost the top 4.

David Vauhu is going to the Rebels, so they have both David and Greg?

Well i guess for the Reds next year, hopefully they've locked up Mac Grealy and Josh Flook

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
This is a bit of a cynical view, but when it comes to these schoolboy contracts, development and squad members, they are very far from set in concrete.

I'm happy with the players the Reds have locked in for 2021. These young guys will float around over the next few years, some will get game time, others will get sick of training and look for ways out. I bet out of the blokes the Reds have missed in this signing period, one or two will end up coming back over the next few years.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Kind of wish all codes did something similar to US College sport, make young athletes go play college sport for a couple of years before being eligible for professional sport.

This is also massively exploitative and is set to get overturned in the near future it seems so college athletes can get paid.

The historical situation where players are risking their bodies and future livelihoods only in return for free tuition and board whilst making their university massive amounts of money is pretty ridiculous.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Wow I really though Fafita was going to stick with rugby. The kid is a great talent but must see more opportunity for a spot playing for the Titans. Makes sense as they don’t have any solid wing options after 2021.

Howarth is another story, he is league through and through but a massive competitor and clearly loved his time at BBC. I hope he looks at a return to rugby one day as he is an absolute freak of a player.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wish we used 7s to keep these young players in the game too. Too much uncertainty over the future of 7s at the moment, but having Jojo play 7s (on a decent package) for a couple of years would have been a nice intro to pro rugby.

Anyway, with JOC (James O'Connor)'s increasing injury concerns it makes the #10 jersey the biggest worry in the QLD squad. I think Stewart is nothing more than just a back up option. Hegarty is next best option after JOC (James O'Connor).

Carter Gordon a massive loss. Isaac Lucas too. I'd be chasing Ben Donaldson from the Tahs hard.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Wish we used 7s to keep these young players in the game too. Too much uncertainty over the future of 7s at the moment, but having Jojo play 7s (on a decent package) for a couple of years would have been a nice intro to pro rugby.

Anyway, with JOC (James O'Connor)'s increasing injury concerns it makes the #10 jersey the biggest worry in the QLD squad. I think Stewart is nothing more than just a back up option. Hegarty is next best option after JOC (James O'Connor).

Carter Gordon a massive loss. Isaac Lucas too. I'd be chasing Ben Donaldson from the Tahs hard.

Sam Greene has apparently been going pretty well in Japan. Not sure if he's looking at qualifying there but I'd hope they are at least having a chat.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Jojo Fifita off to the Gold Coast Titans on a 3 year full squad deal, I believe he had a Reds training deal of some sort prior to this.

Report saying Rennie watched him playing his last game of schoolboy rugby, so sounds like he was highly regarded.

The Titians are on a big spending spree at the moment. They are paying overs for players which they have done in the past and went broke doing so. It sucks losing a rising star but if you look at the money they are throwing around you can see what will happen long term for them.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Go to league, by all means. Titans though? everyone knows the Gold Coast is where sport goes to die.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Tane Edmed.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Jojo Fifita off to the Gold Coast Titans on a 3 year full squad deal, I believe he had a Reds training deal of some sort prior to this.

Report saying Rennie watched him playing his last game of schoolboy rugby, so sounds like he was highly regarded.

Rennie lives at Sanctuary Cove. The mere fact of him watching TSS play does not necessarily mean he only went because he was interested in Fifita. Could be just paper talk.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think he is a 12 playing 10.

Could be. But he is a pretty handy young prospect. And if he is, so what? JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua are both 10s who can play 12. Or should that be 12s who can play 10?

He reminds me of two pretty handy Eastwood 10s. The first, John Ballesty, went across to league, of course, he was a strong defender and good kicker, plus he was a wonderful distributor. The second, Scott Johnson, was also strong (and pretty big), had a very big kick. Both of them could have played 12, for sure.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)

I would be going hard on Ben Donaldson. Throw anything and everything at him.